Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Reading Topic: Exhaust

Actually on that note, i've been asked whether the exhaust system has 2 manifolds, one for each pipe, or just one central manifold for the two pipes?
I couldnt answer the question because i dont know where the manifold is! I've been told the central manifold configuration is better than one for each pipe.

Please comment

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Exhaust'

If you look under your car u see the pipes coming out of the engine then joining to one main pipe then it splits into two again to form the duel exhaust.

·
Registered
322 Posts

There were some pictures which actually suggested it was 2 pipes all the way.. it's in the exhaust forum, I'll try and search for it later...

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well after some online research or lack there of, I finally called Mazda HQ in Melbourne and got all the answers I needed!

Well as expected the Exhaust system across the range is the same, I also found out that there is a specific Exhaust extension tips designed and now available for M6's with the rear aero kit (not sports m6 ) Most mazda dealers are using the wrong ones.
;)

They will needed to be ordered and the Part Numbers for those interested are as follows.

One if for left and the other one is right .lol not sure which is which now.

G22B V4 250
G22B V4 260

CHEERS

·
Registered
87 Posts

Sorry guys, just wondering if anyone knows if changing the whole exhaust setup to an aftermarket one will improve performance on the 6 all that much...I want it to sound more aggresive, but at the same time it has to improve the performance, I mean its gay if it has the sound, but no power improvement to match it

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

most probably yes.
changing the ehxaust pipes would increase the 6's power by 4-6Kw depends on the xhaust.and the installation system.
but if you want reall performance, change the exhaust system. up from the connector. But then again, it'll suck up more petrol just like you drink a bottle of gatorade on a 40 degrees summer
another thing i haven't figured out is that, i was wandering if joining up 2 exhaust and make it 1 output would increase the power by 15-20Kw

·
Registered
13 Posts

heh. no.^^

its not as simple as going as big as u can, going big can actually affect the air flow and reduce exit velocity and hurt low down power. this is precisely why removing the cats which might at first logically free up the exhaust can make the car feel weaker at low RPM.

there is no way a mazda 2.3l naturally aspirated motor will gain 20kw with ANY exhaust upgrade.

on turbos its a different story. The turbo mounted on the manifold puts enuff load on the exhaust in any case, additionallly forcing more air than it can use back into the intake. Post-turbo the pipes are irrelevant. In fact as big as u can is good, to expell all the exhaust which is expelled from motor + from the turbo. This is why doing a full exhaust system INCLUDING engine manifold on say a 200sx will see u reasonably expect 20kw gain. All the pre-cats, main cats and resonators etc to keep emissions and noise down really choke up the turbo. This is quite obvious in the manifold itself where pre-cats just piss u off...

but on a small 4cyl naturally aspirated car... 10-15 HP tops with full exhaust + intake. forget kw..

and then u gotta ask if its worth it... on a turbo the $2-3000 asking price for an additional 20-30kw gain (including upping boost a 'lil) might be worth it.... spending the same on a n/a motor for 10hp.... hrmmm...

cheers

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Exhaust'

Hello

I just my 6, but the idea of a turbo excites me.
I'm not bored with the power it has at the moment, as its much better than
my old 1979, 626. However, in the futre I do think that I'll be considering bolting
on a Turbo upgrade kit.
Mmmm. Let us know if there are any good links around for Mazda 6 turbo upgrades
:sarc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts