Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda has done a neat trick with their new I4 engines' exhaust. The "inverted" design of the engine makes the rear mounted exhaust system shorter, hence less restrictive. Moreover, the 4-2-1 design of the headers, commonly used only in racing engines, should also boost the mid-and high-rpm torque over standard design.

My questions are as follows:

Is there any noticeable gain in hp/torque possible over this already "tuned" exhaust?

Does this design allow for certain intake mods without the need of modding the exhaust?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Exhaust mods on I4'

Already tuned seems like a relative term. I mean you could tune the exhaust more by changing the muffler. Removing the 2nd cat. All sorts of ways.

You can take a stock car with no tuning and buy an intake and it'll help a bit, but it'll be better with a performance muffler. Still a header would help and so would every piece. Each item you upgrade to the intake/exhaust system will help. You will see gains from each piece added. So you could get an intake and not touch the muffler, but if you were to change that, then you would see improvements.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

Ask DuratecPerformance... :sarc  [/b]
That was the intention, but I wanted to keep the topic public so others could also share their opinion (like you almost did :sarc). It's a pity though that Nikolas hasn't been checking in for a while.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by Kranberry

Already tuned seems like a relative term.  I mean you could tune the exhaust more by changing the muffler.  Removing the 2nd cat.  All sorts of ways.

You can take a stock car with no tuning and buy an intake and it'll help a bit, but it'll be better with a performance muffler.  Still a header would help and so would every piece.  Each item you upgrade to the intake/exhaust system will help.  You will see gains from each piece added.  So you could get an intake and not touch the muffler, but if you were to change that, then you would see improvements.[/b]
Seems like you're in a muffler business ;).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Already tuned seems like a relative term.  I mean you could tune the exhaust more by changing the muffler.  Removing the 2nd cat.  All sorts of ways.

You can take a stock car with no tuning and buy an intake and it'll help a bit, but it'll be better with a performance muffler.  Still a header would help and so would every piece.  Each item you upgrade to the intake/exhaust system will help.  You will see gains from each piece added.  So you could get an intake and not touch the muffler, but if you were to change that, then you would see improvements.[/b]
Seriously though. Already "tuned" was meant as a relative term to point out the differences from designs commonly used with this engine setup (like 4-2-1 header). Sometimes the stock system has some hidden potential that can be unleashed without tearing all of it apart. The possibility to get more bang for the buck is often kept a secrtet from the simpleton who is prepared to spend a lot of cash on performance tuning.
As for replacing individual parts. From what I know about tuning (and that's not much); you have to keep the system in balance to achieve maximum results. Changing only one part of intake/exhaust might give it a notch or two but to really get some power out of it you have to do a lot of R & D on the system. That's why there are great companies like DuratechPerformance. On your own you might just end up spending tons of money on some shiny metal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

Seems like you're in a muffler business ;).[/b][/quote]

Actually no, and I'm not a post whore so I'll respond to your other post... :D

You are correct that one component such as exhaust without changing intake would not maximize your return because of restrictions onthe intake. But every little bit that you change helps.

Of course having someone actually tune parts for a particular engine is the best, but short of that, bolt on modifications such as a muffler or intake can make some changes. Although if you have a restriction in the ECU then you are not maximizing on the intake/exhaust mods. What I was trying to get at was that although it is tuned, it is tuned for the parts in the system. There are pretty much always room to improve a stock engine, such as cams, pulleys, pistons, port polishing, etc...every little bit helps even if it isn't cost efficient. I mean if you were to say get 6HP from an exhaust but that exhaust costs you $700 then you are paying around $116/HP, while lets say a cheap intake costs you $180 but nets you 3 HP, then you are paying $60/HP. But let's say you got both and it netted you 10HP, you might gain more HP by both being in there. But it is all unknown as to any gains you get as it depends on the engine.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Sigvard

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

Ask DuratecPerformance... :sarc  [/b]
That was the intention, but I wanted to keep the topic public so others could also share their opinion (like you almost did :sarc). It's a pity though that Nikolas hasn't been checking in for a while.[/b][/quote]

Hmm, my opinion about this Topic is that it's not necessary to upgrade your muffler 'just for the cool sound', caus' it's already making an superb sound!:D
Maybe you can go for the nice longer mufflerpipes (chrome); and then the sound will be even better ;) .

Coen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts