Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did my exhaust today, well atleast until i can afford turbo back. i went the cheapo way. 3 in axle back. removed both mufflers, and now i just have 3 in out to the right side. it sounds bad ass. when i find my digi, ill post up some vids.

heres a link to the vid. the car was not warmed up so i only revved to 2500-3000rpm. it also started to rain.. on a nicer day i will post higher revving. also i was using my digi cam. and the speaker isnt all that good, if its too loud it picks up static and gets raspy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqngk1NU8EM

while driving video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3rM_J7Nlc

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:TTIWWP:
[/b]

YES, i actually got a response before this ^^ was posted. HAHA. once i find the camera they will be up. dont you guys worry.

seriously though, my best friend said the best way he can describe it was it sounded like a cross between an STI and a Mack truck. he was like ohhh my god it sounds like nothing i have ever heard.

update. found my camera. pics/vids will be up later

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt. for the new video

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
come on guys.. i want some feedback.

·
Registered
820 Posts
sounds good, who did the work, can they make more and how much? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to post prices on the board.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good, who did the work, can they make more and how much? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to post prices on the board.
[/b]

ill post prices i dont care.. it cost me 75. i called up all the local meineke's and found out which ones actually carry 3 in pipe. i had there head tech bend some piping custome for me. he removed the axle back 2 mufflers and went right out to the right side no muffler. cheap, adds good power, and sounds amazing. might be alittle too loud for some, esp. when you are not used to having a loud car. you get on it and your like oh my god thats loud. but you get used to it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sounds like me after beans.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like me after beans.
[/b]

is that a good thing. its not a farty sounding exhaust, the camera just sucks. it doesnt do it justice

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds pretty good. Like I heard somewhere before, like a mix between a STI and SRT4.

is it overly loud? How about when you are reaming on it?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds pretty good. Like I heard somewhere before, like a mix between a STI and SRT4.

is it overly loud? How about when you are reaming on it?
[/b]

ok, after driving it more and more, i have noticed that below 3500rpm it has that subie sound to it( the classic gurgle) from 3500-~4300 it gets a no inline 4 sound to it(srt4/evoish almost) and then above that it actually gets quieter. i know its weird, but even my friend noticed it, i have heard that turbos quiet exhaust to a degree and i was kinda wondering if that was the case. all i know is it sounds mean. its not OVERLY loud, but it is loud make no mistake.

·
Registered
820 Posts
does the pipe go all the way to the first cat pipe or did the cut the stock exhaust somewhere before the "Y" split, i'd definatley be down for this solution. Any chance you can take some pics from under the car?

·
Registered
998 Posts
/me is interested as well.

Any photos available yet?

Can you make up some kits and ship them out?

Jason

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does the pipe go all the way to the first cat pipe or did the cut the stock exhaust somewhere before the "Y" split, i'd definatley be down for this solution. Any chance you can take some pics from under the car?
[/b]

yeah i have pics on my comp at home. im at work now. ill post them up later, even though if you look under the car it doesnt look like there is alot of bending that has to be done, there actually is. esp when moving up the 3 in it gets tight. so the pics reveal some outer diameter piping kinking, inside is still smooth,m its not mandrel bent, but my feeling is even in the bend its still a larger diameter then stock.

also i had the cut the pipe about 8-10 inchs before the y. if you look you will notice a little heat shield for the rear cv joint boot. so i had them cut it before that.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Loudness is very definitely a matter of personal taste, and the image you want to portray with the car. It's great that you're happy with the new system you have.

Sounds (pun unintended) like you're basically running an "open" exhaust, with only the two stock cats providing any sound muffling/cancellation. CP-E's system is almost an "open" system; they just have a very small straight thru muffler (more of a resonator actually) just after the 2nd cat, approx where you say the stock exhaust was cut off on your car. The piping at that point is actually 2.5"; did you have the exhaust shop put in a flared section to 3" for the rest of the exhaust?

For comparsion, some people find the CP-E system too loud, and have put on an extra muffler themselves. CP-E is offering this option now too.

I have a custom 3" installed from the 2nd cat back (right from the flange). I didn't want to cut up the stock system as I wanted to save it in case I ever needed to return it to stock. I started off with a 14"L x 4" dia Magnaflow resonator and a 12" x 6" Aeroturbine muffler. It was LOUD, but very deep in sound. It also droned, enough to give me a headache after 20mins of stop and go driving. To get it down to a reasonable level I had to put on another Magnaflow resonator (18"L x 6" dia). So my catback exhaust is, in order moving back from 2nd cat: 18"L x 6" resonator, 14"L x 4" resonator, 12"x 6" Aeroturbine muffler.

It's still louder than I'd like, but I'll live with it, especially after feeling the SOTP difference in performance. The final reult is deep, not "teenage rebel" loud, but loud enough that the sleeper image of the car is ruined. Sound is very similar to your video.

I'm just posting this to remind everybody that acceptable loudness is very personal. Take each person's individual opinions with a big grain of salt and check it out for yourself first before investing money and cutting. Unfortunately sound clips over the web can not come close to giving you a sense of what it will sound like in your own car.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Loudness is very definitely a matter of personal taste, and the image you want to portray with the car. It's great that you're happy with the nwe system you have.

I'm just posting this to remind everybody that acceptable loudness is very personal. Take each person's individual opinions with a big grain of salt and check it out for yourself first before investing money and cutting. Unfortunately sound clips over the web can not come close to giving you a sense of what it will sound like in your own car.
[/b]
i agree 100%. my car is loud, but not rediculously. it doesn't drone too bad. infact if you hit certain rpm and mph and hold it there you can hardly hear it.

i work in a mazda dealer, so my warranty certainly will not be voided based on this, considering i am the one who puts in the warranty claims. so thats a plus. i never really have to return it to stock unless i want to. at this time i will just weld it back on in my driveway

·
Registered
820 Posts
could your shop make a bolt on system that would be the same as your rear section but bolt up to the flange making it a straight through catback? I would 100% buy one right now if this could be made. So basically we'd have the stock downpipe, stock cat section, then a 3" straight pipe going all the way to the back. If you could find out how much from your shop I'll be the first to buy it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
could your shop make a bolt on system that would be the same as your rear section but bolt up to the flange making it a straight through catback? I would 100% buy one right now if this could be made. So basically we'd have the stock downpipe, stock cat section, then a 3" straight pipe going all the way to the back. If you could find out how much from your shop I'll be the first to buy it.
[/b]
my shop didnt do the exhaust for me. i brought it to meineke. either wya im sure they could do that if you wanted. all they would have to do is flare out the end and throw on a flange to bolt it to. thats about it. its not hard, and doing that is alot easier then purchasing online.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts