Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently been searching for information on exhausts, especially on straight pipes, and i cannot find for the life of me any info on how badly some of the systems drone.

i know quite a few members have gone the straight pipe route, and im thinking about doing somthing similar, except i already took the resonator off so im thinking about mounting a muffler where the resonator was, and straight pipes from there back..

or, get magnaflow mufflers, or just go straight pipes.

anyway, the point of the thread is that i'd like some input on how much drone there is with straight pipes and or, magnaflows or such,

reason being, i want the noise when i get on it hard, but just cruising i want a little bit louder, with minimal drone (i will be doing some highway driving to and from school)

i dont want to annoy the hell outta the neighbors when i come home at night, but when im cruising around i'd like a little more punch.

yes i know, intake. check the sig.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have Racing Beat mufflers...

Here is my educated opinion...

Whenever resonators are removed the exhaust note has a tendency to drone and to become raspy...

Having heard magnaflows on another 6s I can safely say there will definately be some drone on them...

I can really compare my mufflers to that of a 350Z or G35, but not in tone.... The mufflers are very very quiet at idle... they have a slight pur under slow accelaration and cruising, and during WOT they growl....

They are truly the most refined muffler for the 6, and definately provide the best exhaust note hands down...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Here is what I would do if you want to leave basically the stock exhaust intact (Cheapest solution).

Mount a Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler (As low as $69) in the center single exhaust pipe and cut off the stock mufflers and straight pipe them to the tips.

The drone should remain the same as current (Only resonators such as sound dampening packed mufflers/glasspacks and catalytic converters change the drone), the mufflers change the sound output level and somewhat of the tone.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone with straight pipes have any thoughts on drone, the vids ive seen were always people accelerating and busting around. idle was a bit too loud i think for me,

after doing more research, im almost worried that the dynaflow muffler would be stock quiet..

but i cant find any good sound clips of them at all for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
anyone with straight pipes have any thoughts on drone, the vids ive seen were always people accelerating and busting around. idle was a bit too loud i think for me,
after doing more research, im almost worried that the dynaflow muffler would be stock quiet..
but i cant find any good sound clips of them at all for some reason.
[/b]
Cougar 2.5L Duratec with mid-mounted Dynomax Ultra-Flo, MSDS headers and no resonators/cats:

http://www.trubendz.com/sounds/ultraflow_no%20cat_MSDS.wav

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow. That sounds realy really really nice.

Hm....I wonder if that would sound the same on our vehicle.

If you have cats and just one of the dynomax mufflers (mid-mounted round body) I'm sure it would not be too loud at all.

Afterall, isn't it true that cats have a lot to do with sound?

Also, Fordman, where can you get those mufflers at that price? Summit shows them for over $100.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Could we even fit a 6 inch round body muffler in the exhaust pathway? It could cause some problems trying to do that.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Anyone else have any input on this? I really think that's highly doubtful Arch. How do you see that possible at all. The resonator is probably only 4 inch diameter. An oval case is at least 8 inches wide. Are you sure you are not confusing the part where the resonator sits with the part where the cat sits?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have straight pipes all the way up to the pre-cats near the headers, its loud and very mean......but lots of drone on the highway, i tavel 30min everyday to and from school.

i have a 6s 5speed, if im on the highway (70mph speed limit)...i sit it at about 80 mph and u cant even hear the exhaust....until u punch it and cars move outa the way cause they can hear u pulling up on them.lol......

....but with all that said...i LOVE my setup

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
You know what, I may just take the plunge for everyone. I have had a Flowmaster muffler (Still in the box) sitting in my garage for over 2 years now (Makes me wish I still had that single 2.25"/single 2.25" Borla Turbo XL sitting out there too). I'll check tomorrow to see how the muffler is laid out, if memory serves, it was a 2.25" inlet and a dual 2.25" outlet. If so, I would mount it right at the exhaust pipe split, cut the factory mufflers off and straight pipe it to a pair of tips. All piping after the muffler will be mandrel bent and it will be a high quality job done by a friend of a few years.

So I'll check tomorrow and once I scrap the cash together (Either through unemployment or if someone will actually get off their ass and hire me), it will be done.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You are a true team player Fordman! That really would solve a ton of problems for everyone. Thanks! Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright, well after seeing a few pics, im starting to question the availability of space where that resonator was

fordman, if you could snap a few pics and get a few measurements, ( both me and fakter are at college away from our ladies) we could start figuring out what will fit or not.

thanks man.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
13 Participants
circatm2001
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing