Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like a few others on here, want the most power i can squeeze out of the exhaust without making it very much louder (in the cabin at least). with only 2 systems out right now, they are both on opposite ends of the spectrum, cpe being powerful but loud and magnaflow being soft but slow. so my question is, if you did a custom setup, do you lose power by adding hi flow straight thru mufflers? there really isnt much to the cpe mufflers, would doing a custom job with dual outlets, 3 inch piping, one cpe style muffler before the Y, and one cpe style muffler in place of each stocker lose substanially? what i am looking for is a comfortable median between the 2 current systems that combines the strengths of both. exhaust is always tricky because you never quite know if you'll like it until its already on the car, then you either love it or hate it. your thoughts/opinions/theories are always welcomed

·
Registered
795 Posts
I, like a few others on here, want the most power i can squeeze out of the exhaust without making it very much louder (in the cabin at least). with only 2 systems out right now, they are both on opposite ends of the spectrum, cpe being powerful but loud and magnaflow being soft but slow. so my question is, if you did a custom setup, do you lose power by adding hi flow straight thru mufflers? there really isnt much to the cpe mufflers, would doing a custom job with dual outlets, 3 inch piping, one cpe style muffler before the Y, and one cpe style muffler in place of each stocker lose substanially? what i am looking for is a comfortable median between the 2 current systems that combines the strengths of both. exhaust is always tricky because you never quite know if you'll like it until its already on the car, then you either love it or hate it. your thoughts/opinions/theories are always welcomed
[/b]
2 words for you my friend!! EXHAUST CUTOUT :yesnod:

·
Registered
68 Posts
2 words for you my friend!! EXHAUST CUTOUT :yesnod:
[/b]
I agree, but if you want the max HP gains try replacing the downpipe alone and leaving the stock catback in place, or go with the Magnaflow cat. This way you have a far les restrictive pipe right behind the turbo. With that done you will also see more even power and it will spool earlier.

If you are going with the cutout I would put it in a 3 in downpipe.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
cpe being powerful but loud
[/b]
The CP-E cat-back does have the option to add a second flow-through muffler. I'm planning to go this route when I get the exhaust, and hoping it will strike the right balance between performance and loudness.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i dont see why it shouldnt mate up. both companies made their products to bolt up to different sides of the same style flange.
i thought about the exhaust cutout also. do they sell ones that open by switch? because most of the ones i seen are boost or full throttle activated.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I too am looking for some good gains without the "Look at me officer" noise... I would be curious to hear the CPE with 2 mufflers.... hmmmm

·
Registered
721 Posts
max gains:
no cat
3"
mandrel bends
single out

max quiet add:
2 resonators (1 where the cat was and 1 where CP-E muffler is)
y-pipe to dual 2.25" pipe
full size straight through mufflers on each.

note: y-pipe will hurt flow but dual 2.25" is quieter than single 3" out. dual 2.25" out will flow pretty much the same volume as a single 3" out.

Here's a pic of my dual resonator setup.

I've added a second ultra quiet resonator to the end of my single out, but i'm thinking of moving that over to where the other two are and doing exactly as i described by splitting a y-pipe to dual 2.25" and adding 2 full size straight through mufflers. Giving me a total of 5 cans. sounds like alot but Greddy SP series exhaust use the same method, one large resonator + 1 bullet resonator + full size straight through muffler, and they are quiet as hell. Add a cat delete resonator and you've got the same layout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts