Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you it is plausible as I've removed the muffler and it sounds really good. It really only burbles on certain downshifts at certain speeds. But it sounds amazing overall. Kinda loud so any recommendations on quieting it down a bit?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided i wont be keeping the muffler off and was thinking about a cork sport or racing beat exhaust. I know the racing beat is cheaper, but is corksport exhaust worth it?
axle-back? Cat-Back?

·
Banned
703 Posts
I have decided i wont be keeping the muffler off and was thinking about a cork sport or racing beat exhaust. I know the racing beat is cheaper, but is corksport exhaust worth it?
axle-back? Cat-Back?
Depends on how much you want to spend. Tanabe's axle-back emits a fantastic sound but is just too expensive. As far as I know, there is no cat-back available for this car. the stock exhaust system is already a very good design from the factory.

In regards to the original thread topic... delete all your cats, remove your muffler, f*ck it just take off your whole exhaust system and ask OV Tuning to remap your car to run super rich. You will be driving around in what sounds like a popcorn machine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Magnaflow is the only company currently that makes a Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow 19131), everyone else makes Axle-Backs.

·
Banned
703 Posts
HKS Makes a Cat-Back
HKS 31019-AZ006 Hi-Power Spec-L Exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTOQ3H8HxE
That's literally the exact same design as the OEM cat-back but with better quality piping and one extra resonator sticking out the side. I think it's a waste of money. Plus it seems to be for the Atenza only, and the car in the video is the 2.2L diesel.

Your best bet when it comes to a nice sound and good power gains is getting catless headers and an ECU tune. An upgraded axle-back is 99% for sound only. expect no more then 1-2 HP gains at the very most.

The ideal setup IMO would be catless headers and a Tanabe axle-back. Fantastic sound. Go toward the end of the video for some quick revs. Keep in mind the car in this video is still running on 87 octane fuel and is not tuned for the catless headers, so it should sound even better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There was some here that recently that had a aftermarket header installed & it sounded nice. I don't remember where that thread was at here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Want to make that thing roar? You don’t need a new exhaust to do that A cat back bolt on won’t do much of anything. You want the sound and verbals then spend your money on a catless downpipe and get it tuned. Remove both your cats and get pipe welded from where your cats were. Your car will then pop burble and be super loud. If you want to quote it down add a restrictive muffler and 2 resonators and a restrictive exhaust tip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts