Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing an exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy FW. I was just wondering if there is a break in period?
Ive heard this before but i wanted to be specific.
If there is anyone out there that has this combo, please let me know.

INSTALLED!!!! look a couple of posts down for my review on the combo

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I will be installing an exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy FW. I was just wondering if there is a break in period. like should i drive the car easy for so many miles? what shouldnt i do, or should i never go over SO RPM? It doesnt say anythign in the box or paper that came with the clutch
Ive heard this before but i wanted to be specific. i dont wanna kill the life of my clutch.

If there is anyone out there that has this combo, please let me know.[/b]
on my clutchmasters it said 500 mile break in. no hard launches, no hard shifts, no downshifts, vary the RPM's etc. I played it safe and didn't really get on it for maybe 750 miles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as you dont drive crazy for a few miles you should be fine.[/b]
INSTALLED
ive been driving the car with the combo for 80miles. I'm gonna break it in well so im not getting on it until.
i will let u know how it feels

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I drove my car today with the combo and I finally steped on it.
It is by far the best mod ive done. The driveability of the car is almost like stock although much more agressive when needed. the pedal is about the same. The car revs up faster, not too fast not too slow (like stock). JUST PERFECT!!!
The low end power went up by a ton, the high end torque also went up like crazy. It pulls harder, its faster, and the engine resonse is 50 times better.
With the new combo as soon as you touch the gas you can feel the pull.
I am surprissed by how big the difference is. I know for a fact the 0-60 time and 1/4 mile time went down and the torque went up. The biggest difference to me would be the responsiveness of the car. and the car feels much much lighter, even though is really not.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a more agressive feel, faster, stronger car.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I got a Exedy Stage 2 and I love it. Next: Lightweight Flywheel. :D[/b]

.....you didn't just do them at the same time?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok I drove my car today with the combo and I finally steped on it.
It is by far the best mod ive done. The driveability of the car is almost like stock although much more agressive when needed. the pedal is about the same. The car revs up faster, not too fast not too slow (like stock). JUST PERFECT!!!
The low end power went up by a ton, the high end torque also went up like crazy. It pulls harder, its faster, and the engine resonse is 50 times better.
With the new combo as soon as you touch the gas you can feel the pull.
I am surprissed by how big the difference is. I know for a fact the 0-60 time and 1/4 mile time went down and the torque went up. The biggest difference to me would be the responsiveness of the car. and the car feels much much lighter, even though is really not.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a more agressive feel, faster, stronger car.[/b]

Wait man u floored it after 80 miles?????

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
anyone know if the clutch fluid and brake fluid share the same reservoir??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats! That's the exact setup I'm going with once my stock clutch dies. So far so good at 50k miles though... In theory you should see a slight increase in fuel economy too.I might go with Clutchmasters though... did you consider Clutchmasters stage 1?[/b]
I considered clutch masters too. I just looked at supra and other car forums and exedy seemed to be talked about a little more.
Wait man u floored it after 80 miles?????[/b]
haha. I drove to ATL and back plus downtown driving. I have 300 miles on the clutch.I didnt hard shift, I just gave it some gas. only one run. Ive been babying it after that.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Congrats! win-win mod! better drivability and improved gas mileage. I can't remember who, but someone got the even lighter fidanza and their mileage got crazy better too.[/b]
I'm sure mine would be better, but I drive my car even harder with my clutch/flywheel combo. :sarc:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO I calculated If I spend 150 dollars a month, gas priced at 3.00 dollars average, I can drive 1500 miles a month with my mpg at 30.
If driving those same 1500 miles a month with my gas milage at 26mpg I have to spend 173 dollars a month.

so i will spend 1800 dollars a year on gas if my gas milage is around 30mpg.
I will spend 2076 dollars a year on gas if my gas milage is around 26mpg.

I got my Clutch and Flywheel combo for $620 including shipping.
So My clutch is paid off in less than 2 and a half years.

So the more you drive the faster the combo is paid for....

Of course this is making some assumptions, but the point is, you will save some money..

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
SO I calculated If I spend 150 dollars a month, gas priced at 3.00 dollars average, I can drive 1500 miles a month with my mpg at 30.
If driving those same 1500 miles a month with my gas milage at 26mpg I have to spend 173 dollars a month.

so i will spend 1800 dollars a year on gas if my gas milage is around 30mpg.
I will spend 2076 dollars a year on gas if my gas milage is around 26mpg.
I got my Clutch and Flywheel combo for $620 including shipping.
So My clutch is paid off in less than 2 and a half years.

So the more you drive the faster the combo is paid for....

Of course this is making some assumptions, but the point is, you will save some money..[/b]
nice calculations. maybe i should just change out my clutch and flywheel at 18k miles? rofl

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
Rainmens
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing