Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2005 Mazda6i, completely stock.

After the dowel pins in my stock clutch got ground to bits and launched through the bellhousing, causing about half a dozen "speed holes" inside my transmission, I had to have a remanufactured transmission put in.

While I was in there, I decided it was time to add some fun stuff. If you gotta rebuild, rebuild better, right?

I purchased a 12lb Exedy flywheel from carolinaclutch.com. I decided on the Exedy because it's a solid billet chromoly piece, while the Fidanze wheel is aluminum with the teeth being pressed on. I had heard of people having issues with the teeth breaking off in sections, so I wanted a complete chunk of metal. This is my daily driver, and I need as much reliability as I can get.

I also decided to go with Exedy because I believed that 12lb would be a little easier to handle through the 30 minute bumper-to-bumper commute I make every morning.

I purchased the Clutch Masters FX200 kit from The RPM Store -- these guys are awesome to deal with, and were greatly helpful when UPS managed to mis-sort my clutch and overnight it to Illinois, instead of Alabama. Gr. Anyway, they helped out, and everyone there was awesome to deal with.

The FX200 is a full face kevlar flywheel, and the construction on this thing is unbelievable -- it's just solid.

Had it installed, and have put about 250 miles of fairly gentle break-in miles onit, and so far, I'm loving the combination. I can't wait to romp on it once I bed it in.

The clutch pedal is actually lighter than stock, and is consistent and smooth, unlike my stock pedal. The bite point is definite, easy to find, and will take off if you are ready, and make you look like a moron if you aren't. Basically, once this clutch starts grabbing, it doesn't really stop.

The flywheel is noticeable, but I actually wish I had gone lighter (and Exedy made a solid 8lb wheel). It makes the engine rev much more freely and easily -- it's not an on/off switch like some of the racing wheels I have seen, but it's a great improvement over stock. It really makes the car feel more agile and quicker, because it whirrs through 1st and 2nd gears in no time at all.

Overall, it's a very, very solid and very well matched combination that wakes the car up more than I thought it would. It's no problem at all to drive in heavy traffic, but it does amazing when it's opened up on a twisty road . You do have to shift a little more quickly to match revs on shifts, but it's easy to get used to. It's also less tolerant of puttering around in too high of a gear -- it plain ol' stalls now instead of just sort of lugging like it used to. Not a big deal.

I'm happy so far

Total cost for installation for clutch and new trans (including brake fluid, and all shop supplies, excluding all other parts) was $371.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the tranny isn't installed yet, you might as well do it. The flywheel was less than $300 from Carolina Clutch, and they have been good to deal with. They offered an ACT clutch which I originally purchased, but even though it says it's for the 6i, it only fits the V6. I've asked for a refund, hopefully they will not have a problem.

The CM clutch was $499 from RPM, but well worth it in my opinion.

Even if it's already installed, you can get it done for fairly cheap from independent shops. I got quoted $350 from this place, and $400 from another. The dealership wanted nearly $1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
CCStooge
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing