Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I calculate my MPG constantly,the best i have ever gotten is 27 mpg HWY.
I installed my new exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel and today I filled up my tank.
drove 61.4 miles and filled up my tank again, It only took 2.006 galons. so my new MPG HWY is 30.6
I will do this again this weekend, just to make sure.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure that isn't a very representative sample size. Try again with a full tank.[/b]
The reason I think it is representative its because this is the same trip I do when I measured my gas milage before. the best ive ever gotten is 28 mpg. this is on a 65mph highway all the way.
I understant there are only 61 miles on this trip, but this same trip, ive measured my MPG at least 15 times, Ive done it to see any change after mods like wheels, tires, intake, headers, flywheel, etc. and with the new FW i got 31 mpg. I understand were you are comming from though.

I will try it again on a longer trip, in which i have also measured my MPG several times. That should make it more accureate because its a longer trip. and it has part highway at 65 MPH and part interstate at around 75 MPH average.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I calculate my MPG constantly,the best i have ever gotten is 27 mpg HWY.
I installed my new exedy stage 1 clutch and exedy lightweight flywheel and today I filled up my tank.
drove 61.4 miles and filled up my tank again, It only took 2.006 galons. so my new MPG HWY is 30.6
I will do this again this weekend, just to make sure.[/b]
Cruising last year down to Tenn. We got an avg. of 32 mpg so that is not unheard of.My speed was set at 74mph.I also have the Exedy flywheel,but have the stock updated clutch.

·
Registered
780 Posts
djquik, juice,

any reason why you guys picked the exedy over the fidanza flywheel? My clutch is goin out and I'm wanting to upgrade it as well to have that increase in mpg. I've read that the exedy was better for traffic and daily driving, which my car is used for, but the fidanza is lighter and around the same price.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
djquik, juice,

any reason why you guys picked the exedy over the fidanza flywheel? My clutch is goin out and I'm wanting to upgrade it as well to have that increase in mpg. I've read that the exedy was better for traffic and daily driving, which my car is used for, but the fidanza is lighter and around the same price.[/b]

Couple of reasons,
The Fidanza is almost to light for a boost application.In between shifts I don't want to have to spool the turbo up so much for using the lightweight flywheel,alot of the boosted guys are using heavier flywheels.I took Donny's recomendation from the RPMstore.He had both of the flywheels in his car and he said if it wasn't so much of a pain in the ass,he would have gone back to the Exedy.

I have driven a car with a Fidanza and mine back to back and you really can't tell that much of a difference,other than the drop off in rpms between shifts.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
the design of the manifold would get rid of all spooling issues too. i hate to say it but i have to use a handa for an example.

2 of my friends...........both have EG's(hatch, civic) early 90's model

both have b18 with the same cam's and same turbo kit.

i cant remeber which flywheels they brought, but i do remember haveing a convo with with them and one did go with a lighter one.

and the one with the lighter one ran .2-.4 seconds better in the 1/4................now tat could just be the driver of course or the tires

i used them because its hondas and athey are pretty much the same car for comparison reason

i know the theory behind why Donny said to use a lighter but not so light flywheel.........for resistance for load so to speak. but i truly think manifolds fix all spooling issues.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
ive noticed on two of my past cars, that both got a noticeable increase of gas mileage after i installed a aluminum fidanza flywheel also.

i allways assumed the engine itself just didnt have to work so hard, and most the time, i drive pretty boring not really taking advantage of the HP increase. either way, id say lighter flywheels are a great mod. i hope to buy one for the 6 this summer along with a slightly upgraded clutch also.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but when you purchased your exedy clutch and flywheel did the clutch come with a new throw out bearing or did you have to look into getting one? Or did you not even replace it?

Thanks for the help, looking to order both soon!

·
Registered
780 Posts
QUOTE (Cachetes @ Jul 1 2008, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1380611
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but when you purchased your exedy clutch and flywheel did the clutch come with a new throw out bearing or did you have to look into getting one? Or did you not even replace it?

Thanks for the help, looking to order both soon![/b]
mines did, and Im pretty sure i got the same kit as the OP. The clutch kit comes with a new bearing..

·
Registered
850 Posts
Awesome... thanks for the response!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
Cachetes
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing