Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Why? It would have to be a one-off and thus very very expensive. And heavy. Aftermarket hood companies generally don't press sheetmetal.

That's the ViS hood, and Seibon also makes an Evo without the side vents.

If you just don't want the CF look, then you can get it painted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You know, you could always paint it. I've personally never liked the "CF Look", but I like the advantages of having a CF hood on a car (namly an FD), for reduced weight and such, so when I do finally get my FD, I'm going to paint my hood.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You know, you could always paint it. I've personally never liked the "CF Look", but I like the advantages of having a CF hood on a car (namly an FD), for reduced weight and such, so when I do finally get my FD, I'm going to paint my hood.
[/b]
The problem with that is labor. Painting Carbonfiber vs fiberglass is like night and day. All the work that needs to be done on CF before. Prep....sanding, sanding, sanding it down again....You would definitely get charged a fair amount more to get CF painted. At least in my area....

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
if they charge you more to paint CF than metal or fiberglass, go to another shop. there is no reason it should cost more, it's just sanding a clear coat...who charges more for that?

most body kits in fiberglass have to be prepped anyhow, so it's rediculous to charge more for CF!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find this evo style hood but in (metal) not carbon fiber? Please let me know.
[/b]
The most inexpensive way is to take a Stock hood from the nearest yard that wants them gone.
And work it by stretching the metal and forming.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The problem with that is labor. Painting Carbonfiber vs fiberglass is like night and day. All the work that needs to be done on CF before. Prep....sanding, sanding, sanding it down again....You would definitely get charged a fair amount more to get CF painted. At least in my area....
[/b]
I've done a fair bit of painting and if anything, there's generally more prep work in fiberglass than in CF. Fiberglass gets pinholes, thin spots, cracks, bad gel coat, factory patches from the mold pull, etc; problems that CF generally doesn't have. Most shops won't charge you any different for CF over Fiber and, if anything, 9 times out of 10, that fiber hood is going to take more prep work.

Picking up a CF hood with great fitment and bad weave is a great and economical way to get a new hood if you're going to paint it anyhow.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Not to instill fear but if you're looking to pick up anything carbon fiber, do it now as prices will be rising soon across the board.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Yup. CF is getting harder and harder for private companies to get ahold of. The government is using quite a bit of it these days and they get first dibs.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
An industry wide shortage was predicted about 18 months ago and the effects are starting to be felt by numerous companies. Increasing demand and limited supply are driving raw material prices upward. Other companies will jump in on the supply side since there is potential for high growth, but prices will remain high to cover the costs of entry.

Its not only the government, there are quite a few mbillion dollar companies out there who demand the stuff. Whoever has the deepest pockets, wins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Kevin6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing