Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dangit, so much for synthetic benefits... i can't seem to keep synth running in my car, it literally RUNS out of the engine... ever since i've gone back to DINO oil about 10k miles ago, my car doesn't burn a drop....

now that's just WEIRD!

·
Registered
542 Posts
dangit, so much for synthetic benefits... i can't seem to keep synth running in my car, it literally RUNS out of the engine... ever since i've gone back to DINO oil about 10k miles ago, my car doesn't burn a drop....

now that's just WEIRD!
[/b]
+1 Weird~

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The more important question is where was it leaking from?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more important question is where was it leaking from?
[/b]
i'm pretty sure it was being burned, no oil leaks anywhere... an occasional 'puff' of blue smoke when i'd get on it hard... doesn't do it with dino oil :swearin:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
^^^ He's right. I've read that syn is more likely to leak over the long term, but never that it was more likely to burn. I don't burn any syn and I've been running it for a while now. Very strange indeed grass-hopper.

·
Registered
359 Posts
blue smoke mean burning oil... maybe an internal leak... have you check the PCV valve? do a forum search to find out the issue and which valve to check?

·
Registered
820 Posts
try using a heavier weight of synthetic. It is more viscous then "regular" oil and sometimes if you have weak seals on a higher mileage engine synth is actually a BAD choice. It will leak past the seals. Also as someone else mentioned, if you PCV is bad or you have too much crankcase pressure it will force the thinner oil through the seals as well and cause you to burn oil.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes no sense. Try again.
[/b]
trust me, i'm with you on this.... makes no sense, but i get no blue smoke with Dino Oil (same viscosity too!) I've owned a dozen cars over the past 20 years... none have done this :slap:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have heard that synth is more likely to leak... However I have never seen proof, so I dont believe it. But he says no leaks. That means burning. To burn you have to go past the rings, or past the valve seals. I would keep a close eye on it, and switch back to see what effects. I just hope the blue smoke isnt a forshadow of doom for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
oh I've experienced it, my last car an 99 mitsu eclipse had a leaking valve cover seal, it was only leaking a little bit with dino, but leak more/moderately when I switched to Syn. The leak didn't increase immediately, rather probalby 1 or 2 weeks after I swtich after the synth have time to help "disolve" the gunks that was plugging the leak before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts