Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that a tmic will be the last performance addition to my mod repertoire.... I'm NOT going with an fmic, although I'm well aware of the benefits.

So, I was going to get the ETS tmic, and I've noticed from people's sigs from being on here ONCE in a awhile, that most everyone with a tmic has the ETS tmic. Ordering from SU, the difference between the two WITH the boost tubes is only like $20 more for the SU tmic (bc you get a 'break' on the boost tubes when you order the SU tmic). I want to know how the two compare in terms of BATs, core size, quality, and fitment. SU site says that ETS no longer makes a 3.5" core (for fitment issues, I assume), but they neglect to mention the core size of the SU tmic (unless I'm too liquored up, which is impossible).

So, are they equally efficient? Weld quality? Logged BAT's during high ambient temps?

A $20 difference is nothing (even for a cheap, broke, prick like me), especially considering I wouldn't THINK of ordering either one if I didn't have an extra ~$140 to get that bitch with the "mirror polished" finish!! LOL

Thanks for helping me out with my last performance mod decision. You guys have been more helpful than I could possibly thank you for.

P.S. I still need some cosmetics... badgeless grill, hood shocks, LED tail, etc... so don't think you're done with me just yet! LOL

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I think at this point in time theres not really any difference other than price. The original SU TMIC's had issues (cant remember what exactly), but from what ive heard/read everything has been resolved.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think at this point in time theres not really any difference other than price. The original SU TMIC's had issues (cant remember what exactly), but from what ive heard/read everything has been resolved.
Thanks man. I think it was fitment issues with the SU tmic from what I've read on the "comments" section of their site, and it does appear that they have been resolved. Do you know the core size of the SU tmic? The ETS one is now only available in the 3.25"

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a 3.5 ETS. Not pretty but I didnt really care. Worked great. ETS had fitament issues as well in terms of cold pipes not lining up. I would think a cutomer TMIC would be best as who wants a square cold pipe. Not sure why one never came out that just used a U tube from the outlet of the TMIC to the TB, sort of like how TT did with its L/A IC.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think I'm gonna pick up one of these SU TMICs now that they have fixed their fitment issues. Just as soon as I get my tax refund...
Yo Doug, what AP map are you going to run with this?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had a 3.5 ETS. Not pretty but I didnt really care. Worked great. ETS had fitament issues as well in terms of cold pipes not lining up. I would think a cutomer TMIC would be best as who wants a square cold pipe. Not sure why one never came out that just used a U tube from the outlet of the TMIC to the TB, sort of like how TT did with its L/A IC.
I'm not familiar with the TT's L/A IC.... If it's much more than the SU or ETS one though, it's outta the budgie!

I think I'm gonna pick up one of these SU TMICs now that they have fixed their fitment issues. Just as soon as I get my tax refund...
Yo Doug, what AP map are you going to run with this?
Cool. I'm leaning towards the ETS one myself... trying to find out how they stack up efficiency wise. They appear very similar, but I'm looking to hear some other pros/cons between them. I'm not gonna have the loot until next month anyways, so I figured I'd try to get as much input as I can in the meantime.

I'm gonna start with the Stage 2+TIHSF 93 v102 + TMIC map, and then tweak it from there. The maps that Cobb/Bova have can be found here:

Many AP Maps -Bookmark this page

The one I'm gonna start with is 4th from the bottom =) Oh, and TIH = TIP (they refer to it as a Turbo Inlet Hose).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh, and TIH = TIP (they refer to it as a Turbo Inlet Hose).
^ahhhhh, i was wondering about that! thanks!

i have the 3.5 ets (and i love it). i havent had any fitment issues. maybe the hose coming off the snail in the back is a little off, but its no biggie. i think people had issues because they werent using an upgraded motor mount, and the intercooler was banging around... oh, and im pretty sure the "upgraded" boost tubes do nothing...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and TIH = TIP (they refer to it as a Turbo Inlet Hose).
^ahhhhh, i was wondering about that! thanks!
i have the 3.5 ets. i havent had any fitment issues. i think people had issues because they werent using an upgraded motor mount, and the intercooler was banging around...
lol, you're welcome.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've had a couple drinks, and didn't look at your sig! LOL So the SU bone mount I have will suffice in keeping the TMIC from banging around? Thx

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I had a 3.5 ETS. Not pretty but I didn't really care. Worked great. ETS had filament issues as well in terms of cold pipes not lining up. I would think a customer TMIC would be best as who wants a square cold pipe. Not sure why one never came out that just used a U tube from the outlet of the TMIC to the TB, sort of like how TT did with its L/A IC.
i had the 3.5 too, i cant say a nice thing about it or ETS so i will just suggest you get the SU top mount, I'm sure it was made in a cave in Twain too but at least the company that sells it cares alittle about customer support.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had the 3.5 too, i cant say a nice thing about it or ETS so i will just suggest you get the SU top mount, I'm sure it was made in a cave in Twain too but at least the company that sells it cares alittle about customer support.
I'm most likely going to order one of the two of them from SU anyways. I LOL'd at a cave in Twain... It eases the conscience to know that the tmic will be built by 8 year old kids in a sweat 'cave,' undoubetely breathing in toxic fumes, and trying melt in as much mercury, lead, and cadium into the tmic alloy... lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts