Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CP-E Catted Down Pipe

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am getting ichy for the next mod. Too bad, my wallet and my wife doesn't really think so. :laugh: I am considering either the 3 inch ETS TMIC or the CP-E Catted DP. Probably can not do both because lack of funds. Would have to wait until late next year just to appease the wife.

The 3 inch ETS TMIC pros:
1. Simple and easy mod to do.
2. Reduces intake temps
3. Maintains warranty?
4. better price

Cons:
1. Any dynos on a 3 inch TMIC?

The CP-E catted Down Pipe Pros:
1. Proven power increase (dynos)

Cons:
1. Tough install (better off with a professional installer) I do have a couple of offers as a side job.
2. Won't maintain warranty.
3. Little more expensive. Alot more if hired install
4. Will it pass NJ inspection?
5. Louder?? (w/ a Magnaflow catback?)

I am, highly likely, going to purchase either CP-E tuning or Cobb AccessPORT when released. I don't a loud ricer type car or start getting a complicated FMIC with a bigger turbo. This would definitely upset the wife :angry: and not allow my sons to get their many X-mas toys :laugh: . I am waiting to install my CP-E HKS BOV kit (already purchased) sometime next year when I'm ready to tear :tear: into my console to mount a boost guage in the map compartment.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would get the downpipe. You will see much larger gains with the catted DP than you will with the upgraded topmount. And both should pass your emessions testing.

My dealer doesn't have any issues with my mods, and has basically said that as long as I keep the stock turbo I'm covered. So you never really can tell what will void your warantee and what won't, as it's pretty much up to your dealership.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Maybe the downpipe gives better gains, but what about the better summer performance you'll likely get with the upgraded TMIC?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I voted for the downpipe, mostly because it yeilds the highest gains of just about every mod available for our cars now (except for a new turbo of course). I plan on doing the dp mod and am also afraid of the install, I don't want to get someone else to do it but I am afraid I'll break something if I do it (and I don't have access to a lift).

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd say TMIC for me, but I live in Texas where heat is more of an issue. If you feel like you have heat issues, I would go TMIC because it is an easy, do it yourself mod that should help significantly. Not as much as a downpipe, but you also won't take away from the quietness of your car with a TMIC.

·
Registered
795 Posts
TMIC cause of ease of installation no more heatsoak issues and for the price its the best choice. then i would go with the DP which is gonna be my next purchase :)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where's the "Get a new wife" option?

haha - just kidding.
[/b]
Ha ha ha!!!!! My wife just read this and she has the chair :chairshot: LOL!!!

Marriage is alot of give and take. I give and she takes LOL!!! So far she has quietly questioned the expense of all my mods on a brand new car. She understands my desire for modding. Both my MS6 and my Dak has cost alot.

Back to the suject. Wow!! Favoring the TMIC. I figured the 3 inch would not the clearence issues of the 3.5 inch. Thanks so far for the reccommendations.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The downpipe will probably give more gains, however with labor in my part of the world in the $95/hr range it is hard to justify the extra $4-500. Go with the tmic, don't think you can beat the gains vs cost. Plus, it would be nice to have the ability to take it off for trips to the stealers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I voted TMIC but everyone is failing to mention that no one really knows for sure if the Down pipe nets more gain, because no one has dyno the new upgraded intercooler. If they have then it was never posted or I missed it. Buy the ATP down pipe and do the Diode thing/trick tp prevent a CELL. It's cheaper than the TMIC as well. It also leaves the door wide open for an upgraded turbo later down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I voted TMIC but everyone is failing to mention that no one really knows for sure if the Down pipe nets more gain, because no one has dyno the new upgraded intercooler. If they have then it was never posted or I missed it. Buy the ATP down pipe and do the Diode thing/trick tp prevent a CELL. It's cheaper than the TMIC as well. It also leaves the door wide open for an upgraded turbo later down the road.
[/b]
I agree that the 3 inch TMIC does not have a proven track record but it is probably more efficient than OE TMIC. I do like the gains of the DP.

I would prefer to get a catted DP vs. a non-catted. This way I wouldn't have to worry about failing the NJ state inspection. They do do a visual for emission tampering. I agree with you regarding a DP and the potential for an upgraded turbo but for now I don't believe I will be touching the turbo. :hoho:

Definitely, one of these mods. Maybe a year from now, the other one if I scratch up more funds that wouldn't interfere with the family finance. Bear in mind I will do the tuning with the CP-E piggy-back or the Cobb AccessPORT when available.

The downpipe will probably give more gains, however with labor in my part of the world in the $95/hr range it is hard to justify the extra $4-500. Go with the tmic, don't think you can beat the gains vs cost. Plus, it would be nice to have the ability to take it off for trips to the stealers.
[/b]

I feel the pain :tear: . I figured that the total cost for the DP and installation could cost me anywhere from $1000~$1200. ($659 (DP)+ $400~$500 (installation)) My buddy at work offered to render his services with the install. He tore down a Mustang and built up a Cobra kit car. So, he can turn a wrench. Another was a side job from a fellow member(so maybe a little less costly). If the DP installation wasn't that bad, I would do it myself (trouble as a one man show :slap:). I've done some mild mods (bolt ons) in my lifetime.

All good thoughts, Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts