Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it cause any damage to our cars? a gas station up the road from me had a new sticker up on their pumps that said may contain up 2 10% ethonal.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
why isn't this in the newb section? can someone please move it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
This should go to Newbieland.

But Biohazardous: It should comfort you to know that many of us in the midwest have been feeding our cars gas w/ 10% ethanol for years. Mine has been running well on the stuff since April '04. All it does is reduce mpg a bit; it won't hurt your engine. Don't worry.

In my opinion Ford/Mazda should think about getting on the E-85 flexfuel bandwagon. GM for a change is leading the way.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
In my opinion Ford/Mazda should think about getting on the E-85 flexfuel bandwagon. GM for a change is leading the way.
[/b]
Not really. Ford has several engines that can run on E85 as well, including the 3.0 litre Vulcan and 4.0 litre Cologne V6 engines.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everybody should do the E85 thing since they wanting to change how we use gas over here. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
for some reason i don't think ethanol is the answer...you can't pipe it and right now it's more expensive to refine

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I read no its not a true answer. Its more than gas w/o alot of tax breaks. Even if it was the same I think its not good because it takes more to do the same job. They need to find something else all together.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
for some reason i don't think ethanol is the answer...you can't pipe it and right now it's more expensive to refine
[/b]
Not really, the retail spot price was $1.20 a gallon prior to the recent surge due to the sudden rush at the end of MTBE. The stabilized price once capacity is there is in that ballpark.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not really. Ford has several engines that can run on E85 as well, including the 3.0 litre Vulcan and 4.0 litre Cologne V6 engines. [/b]

The flex fuel versions of those engines are not generally available to the retail customer, mostly only fleet customers. Also, they have the 5.4L Triton that is available.

J

·
0 Posts
Well, how's that for topical? "60 Minutes" just ran this story tonight:

The Ethanol Solution: Could Corn-Based Fuel Help End America's Dependence On Imported Oil?

"Fifteen years ago Brazil made a commitment to burning ethanol made from sugar cane as a primary vehicle crop. And lots of energy analysts have scoffed at the idea," says professor Daniel Kammen, who heads the Renewable Energy Lab at the Berkeley campus of the University of California, where he studies ethanol and other alternative fuels.

Dr. Kammen watched Brazil's ethanol experiment for years. "They saw the price trends of ethanol from sugarcane going down, and, of course, the global price of gasoline going up," he says. "And so they emerged at this wonderful time with a program that had been thought through. They made it work — and it wasn't even that hard."

Keep in mind where lots of Brazil's vehicles come from: the good ol' USA. Wonder why they don't talk about them here? Oil cartel got your tongue, Ford/GM/Chrysler?

NONE of the folks in the story got ANY government subsidies or tax breaks. They did it all on their own. Of course Big Oil claims it would cost $200k to outfit a singe service station to deliver the product, which is quickly debunked in the story by someone who's actually an expert on ethanol.

...And ethanol isn’t new to the auto business: the first Model T's ran on it....

'Bout time to come full circle?

JF

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buddy you dont even want to know what a hassle this has been for me. Although the MS6 is suposed to be fine with the ethanol fuel i found it was making the car hesitate under high load. For a while i was driving 110 miles to fill up 6 5 gal jugs at my friends gas station whom i knew had normal gas still in his tanks.
I did this for about 4 months but when i ran out i had no choice but to pump the damn corn fuel and honestly i am happy to report that the car is running exeptionally well, the theory is that ethanol bumps up the octane rating of the gas and cools the mixture better. I am however a bit concerned about the possibility of getting water in the tank since alcohol condenses water from the atmosphere.

·
Registered
517 Posts
this has probably been discussed before, but i only use Toptier gas (www.toptiergas.com)
and even they use ethanol up to 10%.
Ive read on bimmerpost (yes, i <3 BMWs and am probably on there more than here lol) that almost all stations use 5 or 10% ethanol. Youd be hard pressed to find one with no ethanol.

btw you guys think ethanol wreaks havoc on the engine? try pissing in someones gas tank. bad things happen lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
sin6racer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing