Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had one of these for a while now. At first , it came and went but now it's on all the time.
This code is caused by one of three reasons, Low coolant, faulty thermostat, or faulty sensor. The level is fine, and I have even just flushed and replaced the coolant. This leaves the thermostat or the sensor. The thermostat is more expensive and looks difficult , to me! to change. The sensor is cheaper and looks easier to change. The thermostat will fail by jamming open. Ours doesn't appear to have this as the car always warms up quickly, and always displays the correct temp on the idiot dial.
Would it make sense to try changing the sensor first? Any comments, Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one ever had this problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes thanks, I've added that info to my profile, I think! I'm going out to see how easy it is to get that sensor off. I'm a bit concerned though that I can turn the connection at the top of the sensor,

·
Rally Racer
2,883 Posts
Yes thanks, I've added that info to my profile, I think! I'm going out to see how easy it is to get that sensor off. I'm a bit concerned though that I can turn the connection at the top of the sensor,
Having the sensor center mobile is a pretty good indicator that it's broken. You can pick one up for $10 USD or go OEM (NTK) for $20 USD
FYI: I still don't see your signature.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, I did post my details somewhere, but not where they should be. I did come across that page above once, but now cannot find it! I've tried clicking on everything that has a drop down, but I must be missing something. I did get the connector off , but the part that does remain on the sensor is not loose but does rotate somewhat. It feels like how a spark plug wire fits on top of the plug. That was as far as I got though as my 3/4" deep socket would not fit over the sensor, even though it's slightly larger than the 19mm. I'm thinking the full width part is not deep enough? Does this sensor also feed the water temp gauge as that seems to be working?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here goes nothing! Found a sensor on Amazon , it arrived this week , borrowed an extra deep socket ( my deep socket did not fit over) . Got the job done in just a few minutes. . One puzzler though is that before I changed it , the wiring connector felt loose and could be rotated slightly. I assumed that the sensor had broken in the middle at the joint between the brass body and the plastic connector, but after I removed it , I realised it wasn't ! Could it just have been loose in the thread into the block! You'd think it would leak! We'll see how it goes. Any idea how long the CEL takes to reset if this was the problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still no auto reset. ! It either has not worked or I have a new code. I'm sure the thermostat is Ok as the temp seems to normal. Heats up quickly to normal and then stays there, so I'm sure it's opening and closing properly. I did read somewhere that it takes 10-20 full cycles to reset , I thought we would have done that by now.

·
Rally Racer
2,883 Posts
Still no auto reset. ! It either has not worked or I have a new code. I'm sure the thermostat is Ok as the temp seems to normal. Heats up quickly to normal and then stays there, so I'm sure it's opening and closing properly. I did read somewhere that it takes 10-20 full cycles to reset , I thought we would have done that by now.
I have an aftermarket temperature gauge on my can and being able to tell the difference between 180 and 220 degrees on the OEM needle is nearly impossible. It could be 40 degrees off and I am unsure if you would notice it on the gauge.

Reset the code with a scan tool or disconnect the battery for 1 min.
P0126 is a constant monitor and will reset within 2 drive cycles.
The factory service manual says thermostat stuck open.
Drain some coolant, pull off the hoses and unbolt the thermostat housing and replace the thermostat. Orient it the same way it came out (little hole at top)
Tighten it back up and top off the coolant. Done.
You tube can hold your hand if you are a little uncertain.
Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info! I was just looking at where the thermostat is in our old 289 Mustang, and where it is in the Mazda, What a difference!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I left it for a couple of weeks and it did not reset. I eventually did a reset with my scan tool . It went great for about a week and then the CEL came on again .! It seems to warm up quickly enough , but then it must open too soon . Blast! The temp on the scan tool shows as 160F when the error occurs, which is not warm enough. I don't know if I'll change the thermostat as among other things , I have to remove the power steering pump. There is a good Youtube video though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts