Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to install an EQ in my car to better help my stereo output. I was wanting to get some opinions as to external EQs. the only ones that i have messed with and have experience with are built into the HU. i'm looking for something a little better than that. any suggestions? experience any good ones?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have an audio control EQL that I had been running in my car. It's a really nice unit.

Specs can be seen here

I was using it as a LOC back when I still had the stock head unit running my system. I had it installed in an old system in my sable before that. I was pretty happy with it. It does it's job well too. If you're interested in it, let me know. I'd be willing to sell it for a very reasonable price.

Dave

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trunk mount isn't the way i was wanting to go, but it sounds like that's a good brand. product of the year award, too. how big/little is it? do you have it installed for the sub or the high-rnage speakers? i have a built in EQ with the HU, but i am wanting to fine tune the subs more than what the HU offers.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
trunk mount isn't the way i was wanting to go, but it sounds like that's a good brand. product of the year award, too. how big/little is it? do you have it installed for the sub or the high-rnage speakers? i have a built in EQ with the HU, but i am wanting to fine tune the subs more than what the HU offers.
[/b]
I had it mounted under my passenger side front seat. It used the high level inputs on it and had it feeding my 4 channel amp, which then in turn fed my subwoofer amp. So I had it eq'ing the full range. According to the website, the unit is 1.25"H x 8.9"W x 6.9"D. It has served me quite well, and has rock solid reliability. Audio control makes what some consider to be industry standard eq's.

As far as tuning your bass, this unit should be more than adequate to do that. It has +/-12 db at 31.5, 45, 63, 90, 125, and 180hz in the half octave section.

There are other options though. So don't think that I'm saying this is the only way to go. If you're only looking to tune the bass in your system, I would think that could be accomplished using the bass boost, and controls on the head unit. If that's not enough control for you, perhaps a parametric EQ is what you are looking for. It allows you to variably select a frequency, then boost or cut that freq as much as you need to.

In any case I've shot you a PM in regards to the EQL

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the pm.

haven't quite decided if i am wanting it just for the sub or full range. i only have 2 6x8s right now. planning on getting the rears done, but not too worried about it right now. the price isn't bad, but i have to think about how much it's really going to help and if i would benefit from it enough to justify me buying it.

i do have an EQ in the HU and also a semi-okay EQ on the actual amp. hmm... :headscrat:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is it graphic and how many bands? You won't need too many if you don't compete. 15 bands per channel at most, even that's overkill. Dave's EQ is a nice choic but if you wanted in-dash, look through audiocontrol's site, they have several options.

Other brands you can look into: Eclipse, PPI, Kicker.
I've played a little with Eclipse. I owned an old Kicker KQ5(sitting in my garage busted), and heard some positives on PPI.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't compete.

and as for the EQ in the HU, i have frequency, bass, and sub control. on the sub i have bass, gain, and one other, i can't remember off the top of my head. it's probably another frequency control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
pololance6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing