Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions and thoughts from some experts (you guys)... :)

What are sure signs that you have surpassed being a car enthusiast and have become downright with a car and modding? And what are sure signs that you have become a ricer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking for opinions and thoughts from some experts (you guys)... :)

What are sure signs that you have surpassed being a car enthusiast and have become downright with a car and modding? And what are sure signs that you have become a ricer?

Thanks!
[/b]
when you paste stickers all over your car that tell everyone not only what you may have installed, but how much of a ricer you are!

-s

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Let's use brakes as an example.

An enthusiast modifies their car based on desire to fix a problem. For example, an enthusiast would experience brake fade and thus buy more aggressive brake pads.

An obsessed car guy buys modifications without justification- such as buying more aggressive brake pads without ever experiencing fade on the original equipment.

A ricer is anyone who modifies their car with parts intended to look fast but without adding any performance to the car. A typical ricer brake modification would be slotted/drilled rotors which look aggressive but generally decrease braking capacity.

Many large-diameter cast wheels, big wing body kits, disproportionatly huge mufflers, incorrect badges, and even some ram intake kits also fall into this category.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anyone who does the single wiper blade mod on a car that is supposed to be equipped with two wipers is a ricer in my book.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Depending on the amount of responses you'll receive, you may end up with a wide range of opinions being that the term "ricer" or "ricey" is enormously subjective.

My opinion: If it makes you wince at something after looking at it, it might be too gawdy for the application.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Then again, some people may think i'm a ricer because my car is bright yellow so like STSCS said, it depends on people's opinions.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
WEll Put Stretch.

I can summerize with "all show and no go"

Putting parts on your for the sake of putting parts on your car without any research into the subject ie: Buying slotted and x-drilled rotors cause the look cool.

Having body kit's, wings, 18" rims for the style, only performance upgrade is $25 Folger's tin welded to their exhaust in the back.

and the STICKERS!!! O GOD THE STICKERS!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if you have stickers on your car representing a car club or the name of your car stuck on it in any form makes you a ricer by default?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
hmm...
definition or rice:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rice

Comonly done things I consider "rice"

Lying about your car: i.e. adding "Type R" or "STi" stickers or badges when your car did not come from the factory as a type R or STi. (I do not care if you added all the modds yourself it is still not and STi as long as your vin number says otherwise)
Huge spoilers: self expanitory
Body Kits: Unless it is a simple looking lip or side runners I consider it rice
Spinners: come on seriously
Chrome colored plastic hub caps
Unpainted body panels or body kits: If you cant afford to get the kit painted wait till you can before you buy it
Lambo doors: anyone who does this to their car is a waste
carbon fiber "looking" plastic
Neons under the car: ugh
Any other colored blinker besides amber: I mean they must light up amber the bulbs themselves can be silver or whatever
Lowering cars by cutting the springs: if you did this then you are just plain stupid
Large exhaust tips when the rest of the exhaust is stock size: you people know who you are...if you touch your exhaust and it doesnt add performance then you are rice

Thats it for now when i think of more ill post em

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well, strtfghtr, that is combining ghetto and rice.

On the Scion... I really can't see enough to tell, though the roof lip is tacky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see rice in the hood logo, the sunroof logo, and not to mention the car club stickers that appear to be multiplying on the back window...

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I actually like the hood logo in the liner. The stickers I need to see more to determine. I would say potentially unsafe for blocking vision at this time...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
So if you have stickers on your car representing a car club or the name of your car stuck on it in any form makes you a ricer by default?
[/b]
If your car club consists of meeting at the local Sonic/Wendys/Taco Bell or empty mall parking lot, revving at each other and firing your purge valves (Despite the lack of nitrous), then yes.

Would this car be considered rice?
[/b]
Is that a Scion? I can't tell.. :sarc:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rice is an attitude.

In my opinion, it isn't defined by the mods, but rather the "mentality"

As long as a driver thinks he's faster than he really is, that's what we should call a "ricer".

If a person drives a neoned out car with stickers and a fart cannon and also acknowledges the fact that his car is slow, I wouldn't really say he's a ricer...he may have a bad taste in modifications, but that's a subjective viewpoint.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
IMO the biggest "penalties" would be putting badges on your car that don't belong. (An M3 badge on a 325, an sti badge on a standard wrx, a cobra badge on a normal mustang, etc...) The worst cuprit I've ever seen was a dodge intrepid, with "viper" emblems all over the back. If it wasn't dark out, I would have snapped a photo.

Also I never quite get the large banner annoucing the type of car you have. Big camaro banner on a camaro, huge mustang banner on a mustang (with giant prancing pony in the rear windshield), or the ever famous giant honda and nissan emblems.

I mean honestly, all that does is put a giant "Dee Dee Dee" all over your car.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Mencia is awesome.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A "sleeper" is the Yang to the Yin of the "ricer".

The sleeper is the bright (clean of badging), innocent (understated), powerful (actually upgraded) opposite to the ricer, which is dark (covered in gaudy kits, vinyls, loud exhaust), boasting (again loud exhaust, false stickers, etc.) and weak (no real power mods).

Mencia also falls under Yin. :yesnod:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your car club consists of meeting at the local Sonic/Wendys/Taco Bell or empty mall parking lot, revving at each other and firing your purge valves (Despite the lack of nitrous), then yes.
Is that a Scion? I can't tell.. :sarc:
[/b]
Yep to the meeting at empty parking lots and park lots...

And yep to that is indeed a Scion...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
Smearbrick
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing