Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

So I took my car to a mechanic to do the whole VVT and timing chain job, I gave him the parts and he replaced them. After taking the car home, the dreaded P0012 Timing over-retarded check engine light lit up again and the engine was kinda noisy. But the mechanic said that I should drive it for 300-400 miles and see if it quiets down. I drove the car for 50 miles and the noise got 10 times louder, now it sounds like an old diesel truck. The car pulls, but this doesn't sound healthy to me.

Can it be the hydraulic lifters?
Can they be removed and cleaned instead of buying new ones?
Can they be removed without removing the engine head?

What is weird to me is after the chain job this noise appeared, before it was working like a swiss clock, but I did the VVT job because the VVT was broken and because of the stupid P0012 DTC.
Turns out it would've been better if I didn't change anything :mad:

https://youtu.be/vjK3mcG8KLk

Things that were changed:
1 L3K9-12-4X0C-9U: Variable Valve Actuator
2 L3K9-12-429: Washers
1 LF01-11-406: Crank Shaft Pulley Lock Bolt
1 9XG0-99-667L: Blind Plug
1 L3K9-12-201A: Timing Chain
1 L3K9-10-230: Valve Cover Gasket
14 LFBL-10-237: Valve Cover Bolt/Grommet
1 L3G6-10-602: Oil Seal
3 L3H5-11-407: Lock Washers
1 0000-77-1217-ES: Gray Silicone RTV
1 L3K9-10-193: RR Gasket
1 L3K9-13-ZE5: O Ring

New tensioner, new OCV

Oil and filter (Liqui Moly 5W-40 fully synthetic)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, thanks for all the replies hahahaha :)))))))))

In the summer I'll take apart the hydraulic lifters and clean them. Maybe I'll do a tutorial even ;)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Sounds to me like they missed the correct teeth when they replaced the chains.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
...P0012 Timing over-retarded ...again...
...the engine...noisy.

But the mechanic said that I should drive it for 300-400 miles and see if it quiets down.

"drive it for a few hundred miles and see what happens" is mechanic speak for "Go away and stop bothering me, I don't know what the problem is and if you live with it for a few days I can say it's not my fault..."

Most likely your mechanic screwed up the timing job during the reinstall, or the didn't install the new VVT unit properly so it's not getting any oil pressure. It's also possible that he didn't properly torque the camshaft caps if he elected to loosen them.

Not surprising, this type of problem happens more often than it should if they don't work on this family of engines regularly. The steps to do a VVT & timing chain job, or any top end work on this engine, need to be followed perfectly or very bad things happen. I suspect your symptoms will only get worse until it's corrected properly. You will need new friction washers and a new crank bolt at the least and if you're lucky, these are one time use parts do not (DO NOT!!) reuse them.

Can it be the hydraulic lifters?
Can they be removed and cleaned instead of buying new ones?
Can they be removed without removing the engine head?

erm...., well.... no.
overhead cams.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I'm not a mechanic... :)
Doesn't this engine have the same lifter/lash ajdusters or whatever the things that the camshaft lobes press down on are called as this miata engine:
?

How should the VVT be positioned? Is there a picture somewhere? Since he replaced it and I'm not sure if he did so correctly (likely not).
So the timing is definitely wrong. I'll have to take it back, it's his mistake, I'm not paying anything.

After about 70 miles since I took the video (I kinda need my car very much at this point in time, I have to drive it, but I do so gently) the engine is much quieter now, but still when the revs drop around 2.000-3.000RPM the same sound is coming back and then going away at idle. Pretty weird.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
just caps, look similar but no fancy stuff inside, pic below.

Positioning for VVT is, generically, same as the original. You're supposed to use a marker and mark how the original is in relation to the cam, then transfer the marks from the old VVT unit to the new one so it's installed in the same orientation as the old.

ref:
HOW-TO VVT - Mazdaspeed Forums
How To: Assemble A Forged Motor - Mazdaspeed Forums

There's a sticky here with full service manuals also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
blackmica
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing