Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my engine has developed a loud whine to it.
It all started after my engine bay got packed with snow (Canadian winter..)
It matches the RPMs perfect, occurs in both neutral and park. All fluids are good and I have checked all my belts. It has been over a week now and it is still whining as soon as I turn the car on. It sounds the same as a power steering whine, but all through the RPMS. All of the pulleys appear to be good.

The noise almost sounds like it is coming from the rear of the engine by my intake manifold.

Looking for any input

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only thing that I can think on the back of the motor is the alternator? If the bearing is going, could cause it to whine.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Should be a tensioner/belt or needing fluid. Did you check the power steering fluid? Also, I've heard that one of the clamps for either the A/C or power steering or something can shift and create rubbing on one of the belts - maybe that happened.

Alternator is really all that's back there in that corner. Does sound change at all if you're stopped (revving) or in motion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the power steering fluid and its good.
Only difference in the sound is, its easier to hear when the car isn't in motion.
I never had any sounds, until the snow got in there. Im thinking it must be a bearing or pulley bad.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
did you add a supercharger and forget about it?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Drop the belt off and fire it up. That promptly separates the engine from the accessories.

If your not into that, take a long wooden dowel and place one end on the suspect area and the other against your ear. It will pin point the whine quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Snow may have been coincidental check your engine mounts. When I installed my AWR 88 duro mounts I got major noise from the tranny mount. Might just be the Power Steering pump. I like the beltless approach, easy free and deducts alot of other things from the guessing game. Make sure nothing is leaning on the water pump belt too. GL!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input!

I have been crazy busy lately and haven't had a chance to look at the car. Going to drop the belt this weekend. See what that does. Then go from there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay on this.
Looks like it is the alternator....
Noise was coming from the back passenger side of the engine.
Got it on a hoist and narrowed it down to the alternator.
It appears to be working fine, other then the noise.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I outta luck and have to replace it?
Replacing it, does not look like fun.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds just like the power steering fluid is low. Has that whine to it.
Mind you it does not change when the wheels are turned, fluid is fine and the noise is coming directly from the alternator.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I were you, I'd just go to your local parts store and pick up an alternator with a lifetime warranty and be done with it. You can replace the alternator's bearings but it's not worth the hassle. Just get a new/remanufactured one.

If you haven't done them, I'd recommend replacing your idler and tensioner pulleys at the same time. I got mine off of RockAuto for all of $50 total. (Mine were whining and had to go.)

BP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where do I check power steering fluid???
I have a 2005 Mazda 6 wagon, V6 5 speed. The car came with that annoying whine. I am thinking of going thru a checklist of possible issues before engaging in replacing anything. With that, how do I check the power steering fluid?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Where do I check power steering fluid???
I have a 2005 Mazda 6 wagon, V6 5 speed. The car came with that annoying whine. I am thinking of going thru a checklist of possible issues before engaging in replacing anything. With that, how do I check the power steering fluid?
Did you look under the hood first? Cant miss it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Jael Ryan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing