Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what sexction to put this is. If its the wrong one I appoligize.
2004 Mazda 6 auto V6 100,000kms. Well taken care of/always serviced.
Jumped in the car yesturday to go on a lil roadie with some friends. Go less then 3 miles and the car looses its power. I was going up a hill and it couldnt make it. The rpms kept dropping and it was down shifting. I was on the peddle but it wasnt doing anything. Turned her around and headed home. Same thing, no guts to her. By this time Im smelling buring fluids (oil, tranny?). Pull into the shop, shut it off and pop the hood. The heat from under the hood was retarded. Look at all the fliud levels and there good. Check some other stuff out, then notice the exhaust manifold. Its as red as a cherry. It was glowing so bright you would have swore there was a light under the car. I never seen anything like it.(Only thing i seen like it was the exhaust on a 1000+hp turbo car that was on the dyno for a few pulls. Even then, it was only for a few secs during the pull.)

Im thinking it must be a plugged cat. But there were lights on the dash and the day before that, the car drove fine.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sure sounds like the dreaded catalytic convertor melt-down has reared it's ugly head once again....... Most likely your engine is toast. There are tons of people just on this site who've seen it happen, not to mention countless 'Net discussions on various Ford/Mazda engines. Yet Mazda/Ford refuse to take care of their customers.

It caused people such as myself to install a set of headers to get away from the threat.

There's even a poll devoted to this topic.

I wish someone had the balls to pursue a class action lawsuit. It'd do me no good unless I could swap my old manifolds and cats, but it's still long overdue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured something dropped in the cat. So chances are my engine is toast!? Thats wonderful.. Had the car 3 months haha. Oh well this is the game we play.
Any recomendations?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I know if my engine is done for sure? Compression check?
I was looking under the car today and noticed an oil leak. Its coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side. Would this be the dreaded pvc?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The PVC would typically just cause the fluid to be sucked out of the motor.

If you're seeing a puddle, I'd have to wonder if you've split the block....... Any coolant, or just oil?

You need to find where the oil is coming from before anything.... If you can't find an issue with the block, start doing compression and leak-down tests.

As for the costs, you're screwed. The convertors are out of EPA-mandated coverage so Mazda won't be supplying new ones. And even on cars with fairly low miles Mazda/Ford have thumbed their nose on engine replacement due to convertors.

You have to decide if a Mazda6 is worth the cost of a new engine, and likely headers. IF you can run headers in Canada. And heck, other things may have cooked if your convertors were truly glowing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill be taking a good look at it tomorrow. Gonna float it to my friends place and get it on his hoist. If the engine seems good. Im Gonna take the cats out and straight pipe it as well.
My exhaust manifold was glowing aswell with part of the pipe. It was pretty wild to see. I wish I would have taken a pic of it as proof. But that was the last thing on my mind. I just hope that I shut it down quick enough.
Tomorrow will tell the story.
Ill post what I found.
Thanks for the help karlt10!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts