Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is! I just returned from doing the initial testing. The best part about this brace is, and I'm dead serious, I can't feel any extra vibration! But the engine feels much more connected to the car and there is no hesitation anymore. Shifting is just a bit more confident...oh and keep in mind this testing was done without my tranny brace on.

[attachmentid=12106]

[attachmentid=12107]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i have a v6...but it's autotragic

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
those nuts at that angle look like they'll back out in a hurry.....

and its a possibility i could hop over there for a day or so, multiple days might be rough.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those nuts at that angle look like they'll back out in a hurry.....
and its a possibility i could hop over there for a day or so, multiple days might be rough.
[/b]
You have to keep in mind that it's a prototype. The finished product will be secure with welds and such. Gater can drop it off, he's closer.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
how long do you think those rods would hold up? think they would hold for long term? this looks, in this stage at least, like a mod to throw on before i go to the track rather than a daily driving setup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
how long do you think those rods would hold up? think they would hold for long term? this looks, in this stage at least, like a mod to throw on before i go to the track rather than a daily driving setup?
[/b]

That looks like a very scary set-up. As much as the engine moves and as weak as the firewall is, something will give. Those threaded rods look like a very weak link. Be careful with that set-up.

I made one out of some heavy guage steel. Welded it all up and attached it to the passenger side strut tower and used a damper and another bracket to attach to the passenger side motor mount and it still bent it. And that was on a simple drive trying to test the feel during gear changes and on/off the gas situations.
I have another one that I have cut and ready to weld but someone is finally making one for the 3, so I will wait for it.

I would look into an engine damper and design it around that. You can find them pretty cheap and it would make for a better ride as you don't want to prevent all of the movement, but limit it.

I can say that before the first one bent it was the best mod I had done, put alot of feel back into the car. Throttle response was alot better. And it is one mod I can't wait to do again.

Just an opinion

But nice to see someone making parts for themself. :yesnod:

Herb

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/b]
As long as the holes in the firewall that were discussed previously hold, it will last forever. The threaded rods are grade 8 forged steel. The only thing I'm worried about is if this will clear your turbo.

That looks like a very scary set-up. As much as the engine moves and as weak as the firewall is, something will give. Those threaded rods look like a very weak link. Be careful with that set-up.

I made one out of some heavy guage steel. Welded it all up and attached it to the passenger side strut tower and used a damper and another bracket to attach to the passenger side motor mount and it still bent it. And that was on a simple drive trying to test the feel during gear changes and on/off the gas situations.
I have another one that I have cut and ready to weld but someone is finally making one for the 3, so I will wait for it.

I would look into an engine damper and design it around that. You can find them pretty cheap and it would make for a better ride as you don't want to prevent all of the movement, but limit it.

I can say that before the first one bent it was the best mod I had done, put alot of feel back into the car. Throttle response was alot better. And it is one mod I can't wait to do again.

Just an opinion

But nice to see someone making parts for themself. :yesnod:

Herb
[/b]
Well, this is and it isn't attached to the firewall. As it turns out what I was connecting it to is a cross-brace at least .5" thick. Nothing is going to give. I've already tested this through several hard launches and it is fine. Of course I am going to do more testing to make sure but I have no doubts. My guess is that the welds broke in your design? Mine doesn't use any.

As far as damper, I'm not messing around with that crap. It isn't needed since this brace doesn't give at all and there is hardly any vibration added.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
my only concerns somewhat are, especially when using both i'd think, what forces are being put on the passenger mount? that is the mount that HiBoost broke on the dyno, though that was from movement, not really "vibration" so i might be on the wrong track?

very interested to see how it turns out. i'm going to do a few days of just relearning how to drive my car before i put anything new on, so i have a more accurate measure of variances.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my only concerns somewhat are, especially when using both i'd think, what forces are being put on the passenger mount? that is the mount that HiBoost broke on the dyno, though that was from movement, not really "vibration" so i might be on the wrong track?

very interested to see how it turns out. i'm going to do a few days of just relearning how to drive my car before i put anything new on, so i have a more accurate measure of variances.
[/b]
If it was from movement and not vibration then I think it's fine. Because wouldn't these braces lessen stress on the stock mounts? Well, come to think of it, vibration wouldn't really cause anything either because adding power to the engine or changing something on the engine would cause extra vibration. These braces would just add vibration to whatever it's connected to (firewall) correct ??

I just came back from more testing and the brace is holding up very well. There is still no extra vibration however I have noticed the brace itself seems to be vibrating a bit and is causing my 6 to sound like it has a diesel engine, oddly enough.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
off topic i know, but i always wanted to have a diesel so i could make my own fuel for it. that would just be awesome!

back on topic. you have the bolts on there with threadlok or anything to hold them in place with all the vibrations?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
off topic i know, but i always wanted to have a diesel so i could make my own fuel for it. that would just be awesome!
back on topic. you have the bolts on there with threadlok or anything to hold them in place with all the vibrations?
[/b]
I would love to make my own fuel too. Sounds like fun.

Right now they're just tightened up. When these go up for sale eventually I was thinking about lock nuts and/or threadlok. You think both?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
12 Participants
Mandingo6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing