Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the 60,000 servicing done at dealership. I am at 63,000 now and I am noticing when I first start the car up there is a ticking sound from the engine. After about 5 seconds or so it goes away once the oil pressure has come up. Oil level is good. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could be a bad oil filter valve. Ticking is the motor being unlubricated, and then once oil is circulating the tick goes away. I assume you had the oil changed during the service?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they changed all the fluids when it was in there. Where is that located? And is it a expensive part to replace?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is just a part of the oil filter...replacing the filter is all that would have to be done, parts less than $5

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try that and see what happens. Hopefully it will go away. If not then i guess dealer can fix what they broke.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very well could be the oil filter. Especially if it is not either the Ford Motorcraft of Mazda OEM filter (which is made by MC). The Ford/MC filter features a thread end bypass which helps prevent start-up noise. If you check the owners manual for the Ford Taurus with the 24v 3.0L V6 it even states that. The Taurus and 6 24v engines are quite similar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think the dealership would have put on the right filter, but i will check it out this weekend. If they didn't they will have to explain why.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership by me is Wyatt-Johnson. I would think that the dealership would know to put on the right parts and not something sub-standard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you notice a difference with the k&n verses the oem filters?I wish i had the time to do my own oil all the time but but based on my schedule it is easier to take to dealership.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i never had a problem with the dealership parts(no ticking/dry start). i stopped going to the dealer because when they changed my oil, they spilled oil all over my exaust when removing the oil filter and did a shitty job of cleaning it off. this happened twice. i guess i expected more from them, kinda reminds me of a shadetree mechanic job; "don't worry the oil will burnoff". at least if i get a little smoke now when i change my own oil, i can be mad at myself!

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have that same noise and it started after I got oil change by a local mechanic.

Should I go to the dealership and get this fixed right away or wait for my next oil change in 2-3 months?

any damage can be done to the engine with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 48,000 miles on my 6, i had a ticking noise when i first started it up as well. I live in an area where they use a LOT of salt in the winter, i found that my heat sheilds on my exh had rusted loose, I used heavy duty CAT style hose clamps to hold them in place and the rattle is gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts