Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new engine for my 2003 Mazda 6i (2.3L). But I am very interested in putting a 3.0 6 cylinder in instead of the 4 cylinder. Is the process hard or is it just plug and play? Would I need to change a lot of other things? Please help,

·
Registered
786 Posts
So I need a new engine for my 2003 Mazda 6i (2.3L). But I am very interested in putting a 3.0 6 cylinder in instead of the 4 cylinder. Is the process hard or is it just plug and play? Would I need to change a lot of other things? Please help,
The process would be hard, impossible even. Exhaust, computer, transmission, etc. all different.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, another dead garbage 2.3. Who would have thought?

Seriously, your two main options are buying another garbage used 2.3 for like over $1,000 and hope it lasts longer than your original. Or do the far better option of swapping in a very low mileage Ford Fusion 2.5 for maybe $400 for the engine, plus a few hundred for friction washers, timing tools, and gaskets, etc. You will have a stronger engine that makes more power and lasts far longer than the garbage 2.3 There is a ton of info out there on this swap, especially on Mazda 3 sites, but the concepts for the 6 are identical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts