Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 6i sport (2.3L automatic) engine is toast and I am going to replace it. This engine is by far the most gustless POS I have ever had. That being said I can't justify the money to put it in my Mazda again. Has anyone swapped to the Mazdaspeed motor with manual trans conversion, or the V6 with manual trans. I am thinking that the V6 would be easier since the Mazdaspeed is all wheel drive. Please help me with this problem. Dont tell me to just sell mine and buy a V6 or Mazdaspeed, because that is not an option for me at this time. I have to keep this $#!tty car for at least 2 more years. Thanks In advance for any knowledge that helps.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sell it and buy a V6 or MS6. The money to swap drivetrains is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
My 2005 6i sport (2.3L automatic) engine is toast and I am going to replace it. This engine is by far the most gustless POS I have ever had. That being said I can't justify the money to put it in my Mazda again. Has anyone swapped to the Mazdaspeed motor with manual trans conversion, or the V6 with manual trans. I am thinking that the V6 would be easier since the Mazdaspeed is all wheel drive. Please help me with this problem. Dont tell me to just sell mine and buy a V6 or Mazdaspeed, because that is not an option for me at this time. I have to keep this $#!tty car for at least 2 more years. Thanks In advance for any knowledge that helps.
Well your only fiscally viable option then is to put a new 6i motor in.

Well you could spend less and get a beater car as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said I cant sell it for about 2 more years, and even if I could I would never buy another Mazda 6. It just seems strange that you cant swap engines and tranny's in a Mazda like you can Honda, Acura, Nissan, and Toyota. I am looking at around 6K to work with on this.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
most of the swaps that happen are not CAN bus systems, which is a big issue with getting things working correctly after the swap. The engine fitting is the easy part.

you could try to do a Speed3 engine/tranny, but you'd need custom axles i believe plus you'd have to figure out all the wiring on it. and if you don't like the car, then why spend the money on it?

you can sell the car with a blown motor and take a hit on what you owe and you'd be better off. or paying 2k to install a new/used 2.3 motor and sell it and take that hit.

so, no matter the make, you just won't find many doing engine swaps if the ecu is a CAN bus system like ours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although I have no experience with this I would think rebuilding your block with the mazdaspeed internals could be an option and from there piecing together the mazdaspeed turbo kit, or going with an aftermarket kit?? Anything is possible, I say make it happen you have a decent budget now you just need to talk to the right people and make this happen!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok...your best option is to rebuild your motor and transmission...im sure your tranny is fine but you will possibly need to beef it up for what i want you to do...ive done this myself...call tri-point motorsports and just start talking with them...all of their cars are 2.3 built motors...ask them about their internals where they got them blagh blagh blagh...a built 2.3 can be a mean motor and they sound insane as well...with 6k you would be able to build a hella sick 2.3 with a small turbo and pretty high boost...way better than any speed3 or speed 6 motor in my opinion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts