Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i purchased a 2005 Mazda 6 and am loving it however I was wondering if a swap to a v6 is possible while keeping the 5 speed transmission any info would be helpful

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
it's not very practical nor is it economical. It's really cheaper to just buy a v6 variant.

Just the computation aspect of it is a headache. At a minimum, you'd would have to source a Mazda IDS and VCMII OEM level diagnostic tool to calibrate/program a new ECU, TCM, and various other modules. You can't just plug and play, so to speak. Many modules related to powertrain are coded for specific VINs, engine, transmission type and would need that tool to let it communicate w/each other correctly or else you'd have a hosts of electrical gemlins that would make it not worthwhile.

So just for that you'll need the service of a shop w/that access or you have to splurge $3K-5K for one.

It's simpler if you already had a the 3.0L and want to swap it for another compatible 3.0L v6, say from a Fusion, then you really wouldn't need to reprogram much as you can trick the ECU a bit after swapping some parts off the Fusion's V6 w/original

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can buy a Gen I Mazda 6 V6 with the manual transmission for the same (or less) of what it would cost to do the swap.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi i purchased a 2005 Mazda 6 and am loving it however I was wondering if a swap to a v6 is possible while keeping the 5 speed transmission any info would be helpful
Dude i continue to be unable to take anything you say with a remote bit of seriousness. He CLEARLY said manual, so why are you talking about a TCM?

I am soooo sorry, my eye-wear prescription may be over due for an update. Could you please highlight where he had said that specifically. My eyes failed me :cry:

I'd assume he had an automatic since the automotive world is saturated by automatic type transmission vs manual transmission. And usually car enthusiast people would be proud to say they had the manual transmission vs an automatic. Especially in the North America continent. Unless my eyes failed me again and he's actually from EU where manuals are more common.

I didn't know that Mazda only made manual transmission in 2005.. :oops:

regardless, if it is a manual transmission, then sans TCM, the other statement still hold true.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
btw, depending on what market region you reside in, did you know that the 1st gen did come with a 4-speed, 5-speed and 6-speed auto as well as a 5-speed and 6-speed manual transmission??

·
Rally Racer
2,726 Posts
The 4cyl didn't get the 5-speed until 2006, automatic that is. Had it been that year it could have been a 5-sped manual or 5-speed automatic. But I digress.

OP, @Grinder08 I think you would need a parts car to make it affordable. If you're an Australian expat then your decision is likely already made to do the swap come hell-or-high-water but anything short of that I'm going to queue behind @jman1200 on this on and say go guy a v6 (2006 or later).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Jatco 5-speed auto for the 2.3L was marketed/sold mid 2005 in NA and a little earlier else where during the time Mazda began toying w/Aisin Seiki for the 6

·
Registered
584 Posts
...Unless my eyes failed me again and he's actually from EU where manuals are more common.
That little red and white flag that shows next to the OP's avatar is the Canadian flag.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
it was a failed attempt at sarcasm.. I guess

I even took a screen-capture to show what I saw. It clearly showed that it’s a maple leaf (Canada) hence why I mentioned ‘NA’ (North America) and that no where was it obvious that he mentioned it was a 5-spd manual vs the later iteration of the 5-spd auto of the 2005.5. Mazda did a few change up during that time while working on the facelift

If it was/is a manual then that’s fine. OP can simply clarify that easily. Just simply move on minus the automatic trx TCM component and codes.

You still have to reprogram/adjust the ECM/ECU unit at the very least to make the transplanted v6 to function properly w/the existing chassis’ systems.

Then you’d have to do some fabrication to physically install the new engine type. It’s really doable in the mechanical sense if you want to make a good project out of it for fun.

But as you and others have mentioned, there are better alternatives than going through all that expenses and work such as getting a good condition V6 chassis and bits as a platform to work from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts