Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just got a 07 mazda 6 with the 2.3L 4cyl. Ive read alot of places that this engine is pretty weak. Im not a crazy racer or car fanatic but I would really prefer an engine with the 3.0 v6. I got this car cuz i got a super deal on it. Unfortunately it came with the small 4cyl engine. Im wondering how hard it would be to swap the 4cyl for the bigger 3.0 v6? I got a guy who can do it but i wanna know what i would need besides the engine itself to do the swap. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Hey guys

I just got a 07 mazda 6 with the 2.3L 4cyl. Ive read alot of places that this engine is pretty weak. Im not a crazy racer or car fanatic but I would really prefer an engine with the 3.0 v6. I got this car cuz i got a super deal on it. Unfortunately it came with the small 4cyl engine. Im wondering how hard it would be to swap the 4cyl for the bigger 3.0 v6? I got a guy who can do it but i wanna know what i would need besides the engine itself to do the swap. Thanks a bunch.
Turbo the 4cyl.....You want a V6....buy a different car

·
Registered
448 Posts
Would it be cheaper to turbo the 4 cyl or buy a used Mazdaspeed 6 engine and drop that in? Just looking for an estimate.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Would it be cheaper to turbo the 4 cyl or buy a used Mazdaspeed 6 engine and drop that in? Just looking for an estimate.
Turbo yours.......I stated what was the most economical choice for you in my first post.

If you want details, then start searching for the answers. The Mazdaspeed DISI engine would be a bigger PITA to swap than the V6.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Second that..
if you want v6 just sell yours and buy a v6. If you want a turbo then sell yours and buy a ms6 (also has a lot of other benefits besides engine). You're going to end up spending more converting than just swapping cars as well as loosing lots of your personal time...

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you got a great deal like mentioned well then sell it and don't give your buyer your great deal so basically use your great deal to make some money and buy a v6 I love mine and its ot even an ms6. (Although i'd love one of those) <_<

·
Registered
204 Posts
You guys amaze me, really. You buy a car, drive it for eight miles, then want to replace the engine. It's going to cost you about $2,500 to swap out the engine. What's the ACV of a 2007 Mazda6, four cylinder or six? About $7,500 for the four cylinder, and maybe--MAYBE--$8,000 for the six. And what are you going to do with the four cylinder engine you remove--put it up in the attic? Just drive the car...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent 7500 on the car actually, its got a clean title and 64k miles on it. I was just wondering what kind of stuff goes into replacing the engine besides switching the actual engine. Cuz junkyards got the v6 engines for like 1600. I figured theres gotta be more to it than just swapping the thing, like maybe new mounts, cables, harnesses, exhaust, etc. Im guessing putting a turbo in would be a tad more than 1600 or 2k even, right? Or I could sell the car and buy a v6 version but i doubt that kind of deal exists anywhere else.

ACV 2007 Mazda 6i 4cyl - $10850
ACV 2007 Mazda 6s 6cyl - $11350

·
Registered
345 Posts
I spent 7500 on the car actually, its got a clean title and 64k miles on it. I was just wondering what kind of stuff goes into replacing the engine besides switching the actual engine. Cuz junkyards got the v6 engines for like 1600. I figured theres gotta be more to it than just swapping the thing, like maybe new mounts, cables, harnesses, exhaust, etc. Im guessing putting a turbo in would be a tad more than 1600 or 2k even, right? Or I could sell the car and buy a v6 version but i doubt that kind of deal exists anywhere else.

I'm sorry I'm really not a jerk but if you want a 6 cylinder buy a 6 not a 4. Its as simple as that. No it is not cost effective to engine swap. Yes if you can you should sell your car and buy the V6. Any More Questions?
:deadhorse:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok im thinking clearly now...
Its pretty silly to try and swap the engine i know. Too much headache and probably huge hidden costs somewhere.

Is there something I can I do to make the car at least a bit faster? Exhaust and intake maybe? How about remapping? I heard thats a possibility. Oh and forgive my noobness please

·
Registered
345 Posts
Its pretty silly to try and swap the engine i know. Too much headache and probably huge hidden costs somewhere.

Is there something I can I do to make the car at least a bit faster? Exhaust and intake maybe? How about remapping? I heard thats a possibility. Oh and forgive my noobness please
You are forgiven hahaha :D

You are in the right place, for finding stuff to do to your car.
Search around haha. An intake is a good place to start, then there's exhaust, lighting, and cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
You guys amaze me, really. You buy a car, drive it for eight miles, then want to replace the engine. It's going to cost you about $2,500 to swap out the engine. What's the ACV of a 2007 Mazda6, four cylinder or six? About $7,500 for the four cylinder, and maybe--MAYBE--$8,000 for the six. And what are you going to do with the four cylinder engine you remove--put it up in the attic? Just drive the car...

LOL......$2.5K to swap a engine....You really have no idea on these cars...:D It will probably cost more than that just for the engine itself.

I'd sell you mine for $9500 and you come get it,won't need much done to boost it and it is a V6. Or $13k and you get all the parts I have not installed on it yet.

I'm sorry I'm really not a jerk but if you want a 6 cylinder buy a 6 not a 4. Its as simple as that. No it is not cost effective to engine swap. Yes if you can you should sell your car and buy the V6. Any More Questions?
:deadhorse:
I have to agree.

Turbo your car as it is the easiest one of the 6's to do. And has the most available to it since a lot of the parts from the 3 will work on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about when you take into question the Ford Fusion engines? There are plenty 3.0 V6 ford fusion engines available sub $1K and actually around $500 i can get a 3.0 v6 fusion engine with a fraction of the mileage and i would be doing the swap myself - i have all the tools for a swap. Its been tested and trialed that the fusion engine is identical to the mazda engine excluding minor accessories and switching the oil pan out. so we are talking around $500-$1000 for a swap with a Ford Fusion engine. Reason i bring this up is because i have replaced radiator, starter, plugs, etc. and end up with a blown gasket...instead of taking the job to take the head apart to replace - might as well swap the whole engine

·
Registered
941 Posts
Swapping in a 4cyl means changing everything under the hood and most if not all the wiring. Nothing crosses over. Even when you swap a Fusion engine into a factory V6 car you still need all the Mazda V6 accessories (that are not the same on a 4cyl car) and many other parts that don't come on a Fusion.

There is no way it is ever worth the effort. Get a new head and head gasket for your 4cyl and fix it,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Mazda 6’s. One is a v6 with a dented body and a 4 cl with a clean body. I’d really appreciate an answer on this. Because I want the v6 in the better body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts