Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Took my car in for a routine oil change the other day. Since I've been looking at the Mazda6 wagon as a possible replacement for my minivan, I walked over to the Mazda dealer (they're right next door) and was looking at a wagon they had on the lot. A salesman came over and introduced himself and offered a test drive. I'm definitely over a year away from buying anything else and I made that clear to him but he said it's Ok so I thought, why not!

Anyway, this car had the automatic in it. I was impressed with how it rode and handled. The engine seemed peppy enough but in steady driving in the 30 to 45 speed range, it had a consistant little surge or hesitation in it. I did a search and found some references to replacing the throttle body and possibly some kind of software upgrade? Is this a common issue for these cars? Would the manual transmission fair any better? Just wondering.

Thanks for any replies!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Manual transmissions are always better :) . Its not uncommon for a member to regret getting in the Auto instead of the manual. Definately test drive it before making a decision. The throttlebodies in the newer models should be ok, that was mainly a problem in the older years. (Glad to see you actually utilized the search feature, many people don't). The 6 doesn't have a whole lot of low end power, granted its got enough to get you up to speed, but it really shines in the high rpms (4k+). You may have thought it was hesitation, but it could be just an adjustment from going to a van with a lot of low end power.

You may be right that the ECU could need a reflash already, I believe there is a reflash already available for the '06 models and maybe that vehicle has yet to recieve it. That would be my guess from the way you are describing it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i have a ATX transimission and i only regret it because it doesn't have three petals as compared to two. reading what you posted my first question is what year is it that you're talking about. if you have 03 or 04 that is commong for a little throttle lag. PCM update should take care of that.

as agreed with mike, the MTX is alwasy better due to less moving parts. that's just a fact of life. Mazda is a great company and they will always take care of you.

give us more details. what year, how many mile and what kind of options does this car have?

and where the hell is Texas City? dallas? you better be making your way to the texas mazda 6 meet in the beginning of June.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input. Pololance6i, this was a brand new 06 Mazda6 wagon. It was a base car, not many options. In fact, I think the automatic was the only option on it, but it was still pretty nice, all in all. As I said, it rode and handled just fine, living up to all the praise I've read about them in this forum, but the engine just didn't seem happy at steady speeds. The car only had about 10 miles on it when I drove it. We put another 8 to 10 on top of that. I took it easy on the car. I don't believe in trouncing on a new car, especially when I've got no intention of buying at the time.

Mike2005, I understand what you're saying about lack of low end torque but I wasn't pushing the car hard enough for that to be an issue, in my opinion. My "second" car is a Honda S2000. If any car on the road today is known as a torqueless wonder in the lower half of it's rpm band, it's the S2000 so I've got some idea of what you're refering to! ;) Having said that, mine runs just fine in the 2000 to 3500 rev range. It's not going to break any land speed records being driven at those engine speeds but it's got no spits or stumbles either.

I'm not put off the Mazda6 on this issue. It could have just been the individual car I happened to drive. I'm also strongly considering the manual tranny over the automatic anyway and I will test drive one before I buy. I am "really" impressed that Mazda even offers a manual transmission on a car like the wagon. That's kind of rare in my experience. I was just wondering what any of you might have to say about this.

Thanks for the replies & Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Glad you are test driving, and I would personally rather drive a 6 wagon than a mini van.

Along with what the above posters have said, I also would like to comment that I read a post somewhere that Mazda may no longer be offering the wagon that much longer... Have you looked at the 5-door (hatch) also? I have a sedan, but have heard the 5-door has quite a bit of room in it as well. Just something else to look at and weight the options.

Regardless, glad you found the forums, plenty of information out there to find!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you are test driving, and I would personally rather drive a 6 wagon than a mini van.

Along with what the above posters have said, I also would like to comment that I read a post somewhere that Mazda may no longer be offering the wagon that much longer... Have you looked at the 5-door (hatch) also? I have a sedan, but have heard the 5-door has quite a bit of room in it as well. Just something else to look at and weight the options.

Regardless, glad you found the forums, plenty of information out there to find!
[/b]
I don't mind the minivan. It's worked very well for me. My main reason for looking at the wagon is the hope that it should have the potential to net me a little better gas mileage without too much of a sacrifice in cargo capacity. Having the room to haul "stuff" is the main reason I've got the minivan in the first place.

I have looked at the 5-door and I really like it. I tend toward the wagon though, because it maintains the roof line all the way to the back of the car which adds to the interior volume and gives me a few more options for hauling around the stuff I mentioned above! :)

I'll be very sorry if Mazda opts to drop the 6 wagon, especially if they do it before I'm ready to seriously pick one up. The few other wagons I've seen that would also work for me are significantly more expensive. Volvo comes to mind. If that happens, I'll probably wind up in another minivan. I'd buy another Odyssey in a heartbeat. We'll see how it works out.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I had a friend in high school that drove a mini van. Not because he hauled stuff, but he put a hell of a stero system inside it. So much room to put stuff, and it made the great sleeper bass thumper, because if someone heard it at a stop light, you would never expect it to be coming out of this late 80's mini van (high school was in the 90's, so it wasn't that old of a mini-van).

Regardless of what you decide, find the one that suites you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a friend in high school that drove a mini van. Not because he hauled stuff, but he put a hell of a stero system inside it. So much room to put stuff, and it made the great sleeper bass thumper, because if someone heard it at a stop light, you would never expect it to be coming out of this late 80's mini van (high school was in the 90's, so it wasn't that old of a mini-van).

Regardless of what you decide, find the one that suites you.
[/b]
Yup! There are any number of reasons to drive a minivan. They are about as versitile as it gets for hauling people, and or things around. I get tickled at the number of folks I've met who are driving large SUV's and saying they wouldn't drive a minivan because they don't want to be seen in a "socker mom" vehicle. I've got news for them, most "socker mom's" I see in my part of the world are driving large SUV's, not minivans! :D Besides, regardless of what the large SUV owners will claim, the minivan has more interior room and is more versatile. It'll also get significantly better fuel mileage than a large SUV or truck will. To each their own, though!

Everyone, thanks for the replies and comments on the 6 wagon. It's been a big help! :)

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts