Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any space in the engine compartment to put in a turbo in the v6 mazda 6? how about twin turbos?

if not, there must be space in the 4cyl 6 right?

also, what do you guys think about puttin a turbo on the v6?
Im a strict racer!!!!! I thought about gettin the lancer evolution, but too much $$$ plus i really love the looks on the 6. my other choice is a type-s rsx. othe rthan space, why would you guys choose a 6 over the rsx type-s? please let me know, and keep in though, the 6 hatch is currently my first choice.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Engine space for tuning up???????

2KWIK, by the time you get done putting a turbo on the 6, you would probably end up spending as much or more than on the Evo. Assuming you could get an Evo at the MSRP of $28,987 you are getting an already turbocharged engine design that has been proven for about a decade. It's also AWD and has bigger brakes and better suspension than the 6. I love the 6, but it's not in the Evo's league in this configuration. Turbocharging an RSX-S would also be very expensive. And also, with either one of these, you're still left with a FWD vehicle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Depends on what you want. If pure go, straight line power for low price, then the Dodge SRT-4 can't be beat. 0-60 5.8 sec for under $20K. But your insurance may at least quadruple!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Turbocharging an RSX Type S will cost you $3500
as the only company that has done it is CyberNation Motor Sports....

www.cybernationmotorsports.com

I am currently in the market for a Type S or a Mazda6-S....just like you.

I consider several things.

RSX TYPE S: In-line DOHC 4-cylinder. 2 door, 6 MT (only); lacks torque (147); more aftermarket capability, higher insurance.

Mazda6-S: DOHC V6, 4 door, choice between AT, and 5 MT, performance specs are very similar to the Type S, more torque (190); less aftermarket(a lot newer though); lower insurance most probably compared to the Type S.

I have been obsessed with the Type S longer than the Mazda6-S and I would be extremely happy with either car.
Both are FF cars, yet their styling and tuning is very different.
The RSX Type-S is a Honda, and that car is straight up Japanese.....whereas the Mazda6-S is a hybrid.

There's a lot to consider.....ultimately the Type S would end up costing more with full body-kit options.
I'll stop at this...just some things to ponder.

·
Registered
78 Posts

after doing reasearch on putting a turbo on a v6 i have come the conclusion doing a bi-turbo system is not cost efficient and would also cause to much lag unless you went with small turbines that cant put out a ton of boost...i have a person here in vegas that just put a single turbo on the new v6 eclipse..that put that car at 13.2 on street tires...the only catch is custom designs still run a lot for a turbo kit his ran 4000$ which is a lot considering you can turbo an integra for 1500$ all day......so my goal by june is to have a single turbo set up i already have the t3/04 off my integra spearco front mount intercooler hks bov the only thing i am waiting for is exhast design and how to get around the air flow sensors...also the fuel system and what injectors i can use.....

·
Registered
78 Posts

oh yeah with about 10 psi the v6 should put out well over 300 hp vs the mazda 6i only just reaching the 220hp mark with a turbo kit...i will personaly spend the extra money to turbo the v6....

·
Registered
259 Posts

if you go turbo on a v6 , best ay to go is a single turbo.
bi-turbo are to hard to tune.
as for the 4cyl , if you looks at the 6mps
they have a 4cyl turbo under the hood.
but all in all youre looking at no more waranty
and you should have internals according to your turbo
i.e. piston kit , lower compression...
why dont you buy a mazdaspeed protege..its already turbo
and with all the extra on this car its make a great street car..
my 2 cent
[email protected]
http://mazatenza.cjb.net

·
Registered
158 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine space for tuning up???????'

Originally posted by twoquickm6

oh yeah with about 10 psi the v6 should put out well over 300 hp vs the mazda 6i only just reaching the 220hp mark with a turbo kit...i will personaly spend the extra money to turbo the v6....[/b]
How much research have you done into packaging?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Does anyone know the 0-60 time for the 6s? how about 1/4 mile time?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine space for tuning up???????'

Mazda 6S Review in Motor Trend: 6.67s 0-60, 15.13s 1/4 mile at 94MPH

Also go BUY the Feb 2003 Motor Trend Mag, the article will sell you on the 6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts