Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a M6 2.3 automatic. In the morning when I first start it, there is a rattle sound from the engine for a few seconds. Then it goes away. Sometimes, when accelerating, this rattling noise can also be heard, but not all the time.

Have you guys experienced the same?:(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

Oh boy! Rattles in the engine, and you DRIVE it???? Call your dealer be4 you drive one more meter. Have THEM decide whether you should drive to the shop or if they wish to come pick it up...

If you are aware of this noise, and it breaks, guarantees may not cover the damage!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

When my wife and I tested the 4cyl 6i Auto, there was a rattle on accleration from low speed. Funny thing was that when I drove, it sounded like it came from the passenger side and my wife said the drivers side. When we switched drivers she said passenger side, I said drivers. So it must be from the center of the car. Sounded like it was from a heat shield on the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

Thank you to all who replied.

Yes, I am using premium unleaded petrol.

I called the local dealer who thought it might just be the heat shield.

The car is booked in for Friday this week.

I also scraped the bottom right of the bumper this morning when parking on the road, because I forgot that the bumper is so low at the front :-( I have to get a quote to get that repaired now....geeez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

Do you have the "aero" kit? Cause I think this car has more ride-hight then most other cars.. Or is it just the rear? I reflected this once when I noticed the car has more ground clearence then our tractor.. Hmm argh Laguna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
Originally posted by MelbMaz6


            Thank you to all who replied.

Yes, I am using premium unleaded petrol.

I called the local dealer who thought it might just be the heat shield.

The car is booked in for Friday this week.

I also scraped the bottom right of the bumper this morning when parking on the road, because I forgot that the bumper is so low at the front :-(  I have to get a quote to get that repaired now....geeez[/b]
Hey MelbMaz6!

How did it go with the dealer? Have they fixed the cold start rattle?

I think I'm experiencing the same and would be glad to get it fixed... I might book the Friday to have them look at it.

-Bob
6i A/T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Reading Topic: Engine rattle

Hello, I also have that problem with the rattling. It sounds like its the heat shield or something. Everytime hit the gas on my 6i the rattling can be heard. Should I bring it to the dealer or just check the engine my self and see what the problem is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Optik 6i


            Hello, I also have that problem with the rattling.  It sounds like its the heat shield or something.  Everytime hit the gas on my 6i the rattling can be heard.  Should I bring it to the dealer or just check the engine my self and see what the problem is?[/b]
I've already showed the problem to the dealer. They kept the car for whole day and said they tightened the exaust system.

The cold rattle is still there. I don't think it is the engine b/c a few times before starting the car in the morning I popped up the hood and listened from the engine side. I could not hear the rattle from the engine side. Then I moved to drivers door side and it was there.

It does disappear when RPMs drop below 1500. After that I can hear it for the first 5 minutes of driving. I can hear it most distinctively right after an upshifting and pressing the accelerator.

It looks like the problem is there whenever engine is cold and under load? Can it be the transmission?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Reading Topic: Engine rattle

I might be completely off with what I'm thinking but is it really a rattling or a ticking? Is the rattling random in speed or does is stay consistent with your rpms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
Originally posted by rr6s


            I might be completely off with what I'm thinking but is it really a rattling or a ticking? Is the rattling random in speed or does is stay consistent with your rpms?[/b]
No, it isn't ticking and it is consistent with rpms.

The rattle is most evident right after UPshifting and for instance going uphill. When I press accelerator the rattle is there in 1700-3000rpm range.

It is like car's timing is off and then in 3000 rpms range it catches up.

The weird thing is that when the car stands still no problem: I can rev it up and sound is just perfect. The rattle only happens when the car is moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

Whoever solves this mystery regarding the engine rattle will be a hero :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
Originally posted by mbd_int


            QUOTE
Originally posted by rr6s


            I might be completely off with what I'm thinking but is it really a rattling or a ticking? Is the rattling random in speed or does is stay consistent with your rpms?[/b]
No, it isn't ticking and it is consistent with rpms.

The rattle is most evident right after UPshifting and for instance going uphill. When I press accelerator the rattle is there in 1700-3000rpm range.

It is like car's timing is off and then in 3000 rpms range it catches up.

Damn! that's it. It must be this innovative VVT (variable-valve timing) feature...

The weird thing is that when the car stands still no problem: I can rev it up and sound is just perfect. The rattle only happens when the car is moving.[/b][/quote]
So you think its the VVT (variable-valve timing) feature? Should I bring it to the dealership?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
So you think its the VVT (variable-valve timing) feature? Should I bring it to the dealership?  [/b]
It was my "wildass guess". But yes, bring it the dealership. It will be interesting to know if this is the cause of this rattle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

I would still say it is a heat shield or a thin sheet metal cover of some sort. Just because the dealer didn't fix it or doesn't know how to fix it doesn't mean it isn't a shield vibration of some sort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

wuddup guys

im new here its my first time on, but the rattle problem is the heat shield. The center
heat shield should be re-position and that might correct the problem. Im a currently own
a Mazda 6 i and work at our local mazda nissan dealer. Give that a try....it might work...good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

QUOTE
Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa


            wuddup guys

im new here its my first time on, but the rattle problem is the heat shield. The center  
heat shield should be re-position and that might correct the problem. Im a currently own  
a Mazda 6 i and work at our local mazda nissan dealer. Give that a try....it might work...good luck[/b]
Thanks for the info. I have a question though. Is that enough info to tell to the dealer: "center heat shield repositioning"? Is there more specifics to that?

The reason I ask is that I had a chance to look under the car and I saw at least 3 heat shield pieces. Which one do you refer to: the one on the exhaust pipe or the ones on the body of the car?
-----------------------
How hard is to do this in your own garage? I was thinking about removing the heatshields just to test that the noise is coming from there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine rattle'

well the problem we have been having is the heat shield just past the catilic converter.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top