Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out the base oil and transmission fluid for Mobil 1 and Redline Oil tranny fluid, man I wouldn't think the tranny fluid would make such a noticeable difference, you thought the tranny was smooth before, this stuff is awesome. the tranny feels much lighter and more precise, You guys have to get some of this stuff. Its about $10 U.S. a quart, mine needed 3 quarts and it should last say ~40K miles. I swear my engine is quieter with Mobil 1, maybe I'm just going crazy...when I launch from first I don't hear as much engine noise now....anyhow, get the redline tranny fluid, I know they ship this stuff internationally for those of you not in the U.S. See www.redlineoil.com.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine oil & transmission fluid swap out'

Thought you would like the Syn oil. Good stuff. Red Line for Manual trannies is highly recomended by many in the Miata crowd. Others like the Royal Purple line of products.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Did you use MTL or MT-90? Hopefully not MTL if you care about your synchros. MTL works well in the short term, but has repeatedly been shown to eat up synchros over thousands of miles.

MT-90 on the other hand is awesome for the long-term.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

MT-90, I was very careful to use exactly what the specs called for for both the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Brillo,

What engine do you have and what Mobil 1 did you put in your engine? Have you done it yourself or at dealership?

I also plan to put Mobil 1 at my first oil change. I looked through little service manual for my 6i and read something about special tool required to change oil filter and "only doing this at the dealership..." Is this true? :(

-Bob
Yellow 6i

·
Registered
286 Posts

Since when did transmission fluid and oil become a car "mod"? Considering you need to have both of those for your car to run properly (or at all); they are a necessity, not a modification. If that's the case, then I should list the high-octane fuel and fuel additive as a mod to my car. Not a flame, just an observation.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I see you point, howver since we spend alot of time talking about ways to improve performance, I thought it would be best to detail all the performance mods done, since It could explain the differences between dyno's, acceleration etc..., granted oil and tranny fluid prob. wouldn't do much.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Brillo, can answer my questions?

Thanks,
-Bob

·
Registered
514 Posts

Crimson, the existence of these fluids being a mod is not what the original poster intended to imply. What is being considered a modification is the replacement of these fluids with higher-performance ones. I definitely consider products like Royal Pruple motor oil and Redline MT-90 as modifications. The RP reduces driveline loss, and the Redline speeds up shift time.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bob,

Sorry I missed your question.....I had my oil change done at Jiffy Lube at about ~1,800 miles. I have a M6 s (V6) 5 speed. I believe the put 10-W30 in my car, as the regular oil is a 10-W20? I had to pick up the oil filter from Mazda, however no special tool is required for the V6. I have heard that there is something to installing the filter for the I-4. I would just bring the Mobil1 to the dealer and have them do the switch as they will only have Castrol Syntec.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thanks for the answer, Brillo.

I have a case (6) of Mobil1 5-30. Is it going be a right grade for I4?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

check the owners manual, but I think thats right, in fact my car uses 5-W20 normally(sorry for the mistake earlier saying it used 10-W30); so they prob. put 5-W30 in, I'll check my reciept in a bit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts