Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I must have had my head up my posterior. I went to Wal-Mart and got some Mobil 1 Super Syn Oil and bought 10W-30 without thinking. I completely forgot that 5W-30 is recommended. I've already put the 10W-30 in the engine and everything is done.

Does anyone know if using 10W-30 is bad for the engine in anyway? I know the 5W-30 is recommened because of the "energy saving" characteristics. Is 10W-30 going to rob the engine of power or put stress on anything internal? Someone who knows details on this kind of thing please give me some input. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The extra 5w in the oil will make it harder for the engine internals to operate..
will you notice anything? No
will your car mind the extra 5w? Probably not

But, if you're really worried about your $25k+ investment I would spend another $30 and put the recomended in. Everyone makes mistakes..be glad you can fix yours for under $50. I wish my mistakes turned out that way.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well I must have had my head up my posterior. I went to Wal-Mart and got some Mobil 1 Super Syn Oil and bought 10W-30 without thinking. I completely forgot that 5W-30 is recommended. I've already put the 10W-30 in the engine and everything is done.

Does anyone know if using 10W-30 is bad for the engine in anyway? I know the 5W-30 is recommened because of the "energy saving" characteristics. Is 10W-30 going to rob the engine of power or put stress on anything internal? Someone who knows details on this kind of thing please give me some input. Thanks! :)
[/b]
It's just a little thicker on startup. If you're really worried, you could always drain it and say "oh well that was a $40 mistake."

You should be fine for the next 2-3 months.

Jason

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where are you? If you're in a warm climate, don't worry about it, it won't matter. As noted before, the lower number reflects the relative viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. I'm not sure exactly at what termperature it's measured, but I think it's the freezing point of water (32°F/0°C). If you live in the Great White North and are already seeing low temps, you might want to change it, but it really doesn't matter THAT much to the car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use 10W-30 down here. No cold weather so no freezing worries, as far as I can recall it's better in my case.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
10w30 is fine unless you live in alaska. I use 10w30 all year around, besides syn still flows below freezing.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you? If you're in a warm climate, don't worry about it, it won't matter. As noted before, the lower number reflects the relative viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. I'm not sure exactly at what termperature it's measured, but I think it's the freezing point of water (32°F/0°C). If you live in the Great White North and are already seeing low temps, you might want to change it, but it really doesn't matter THAT much to the car.
[/b]
I'm down in Oklahoma so it's pretty hot here! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the input everyon :) e!

·
Registered
107 Posts
10w-30 during the summer is fine.

By the way, buying a $25,000 car is not an investment. An investment implies that you will actually receive a monetary return on the money you put in. A car does nothing but depreciate. Not an investment, or if it is, not a very good one.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm down in Oklahoma so it's pretty hot here! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the input everyon :) e!
[/b]
No worries!!! Oklahoma is just a state of mind anyways.....>>> If you don't mind, It don't matter :laugh:
I used 10-30 Penzoils best syn and it was burnt out at 3500miles. Got rid of the garbage and put in Royal Purple.
Ran it a tough 2000 miles( now a total of 3100miles on this oil ) across the hottest parts of the U.S. and up over 7000 feet. Was running speeds from 65 - 100mph constant, while running A/C and haulin 500lbs of passengers and luggage! The oil is still clean and does not even have a wear smell to it that the Original Oil and the Penzoil both had at 2000miles. And averaged over 26mpg the WHOLE trip. Now that is something I have not acheived with other oils.
How's that for taking this off topic and still talking "Oil and You - A drip away from lockup " ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oil is varymuch a personal choice and what works in your area. For me in Minnesota the thinner the better. It is the same viscosity at temp around 275 in my car. As long as it is the same XXW-30 it will work mostly the same. Synthetic is better then mineral too. I put it in on the first change and the engine run smoother IMO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would you guys recommend Synthetic for ms6 or regular oil? and how often would you change it, the book recommends 5k miles... i used to do mine in my civic every 3k with synthetic though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Royal Purple is the way to go. You will notice the difference... even at 8 bucks a quart.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Would you guys recommend Synthetic for ms6 or regular oil? and how often would you change it, the book recommends 5k miles... i used to do mine in my civic every 3k with synthetic though.
[/b]
You will get a dozen different answers on when to switch to synthetic, but I think everybody agrees for a high heat turbo engine, synthetic is the way to go. I switched at my first oil change to Castrol Syntec.

I will have to look in to royal purple, but being able to feel the difference (especially with all the talk of placebo effect on various things) hard to believe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
[/b]
I was planning on using full synthetic. I went last week to the dealer for my free oil change and asked him to upgrade to full synthetic. He replied that Mazda/Ford recommends using a synthetic blend, they don't even carry anything else. I am a little weary about this since I culdn't see how a blend would be better but I'm no oil expert either. So from a SW Florida dealers mouth a synthetic blend is what is recommended. It might be good for to explain why before believing this though.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was planning on using full synthetic. I went last week to the dealer for my free oil change and asked him to upgrade to full synthetic. He replied that Mazda/Ford recommends using a synthetic blend, they don't even carry anything else. I am a little weary about this since I culdn't see how a blend would be better but I'm no oil expert either. So from a SW Florida dealers mouth a synthetic blend is what is recommended. It might be good for to explain why before believing this though.
[/b]
A blend is just a way to feel a little better about your oil change without hurting the wallet quite as much. :nana:

·
Registered
149 Posts
A blend is just a way to feel a little better about your oil change without hurting the wallet quite as much. :nana:
[/b]
That is the way I felt about it but in this case I'd rather hurt my wallet. Unless I find evidence as to why a blend would be better than full synthetic, or even just as good as, it'll be the last time I use the dealer for an oil change. Maybe I'll just buy the oil myself and give it to them to put in.

·
Registered
998 Posts
how hard is it to change the oil yourself on a ms6 using ramps? or jacks... is it like hard to get too?
[/b]
I just changed my oil AND removed my 2nd cat in under 20 mins.

Jason

1 - 19 of 19 Posts