Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I received the CP-E Engine Mount for the 2006 6s, but I have a question regarding the installation. The kit does not include the triangle bracket, as stated in the instructions, and comes with a spacer. I removed the stock mount, but the triangle bracket doesn't come off of the stock mount, it's wedged extremely tightly on the mount. So am I supposed to just install the CP-E mount using the spacer in place of the triangle bracket? But that would mean using only two bolts instead of the original four, I'm not sure if the bolts are meant to withstand that kind of stress with two load-bearing bolts missing. The installation instructions don't really explain this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The kit should have come with the triangular bracket. Mine did. Contact CPE to make sure. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi, I received the CP-E Engine Mount for the 2006 6s, but I have a question regarding the installation. The kit does not include the triangle bracket, as stated in the instructions, and comes with a spacer. I removed the stock mount, but the triangle bracket doesn't come off of the stock mount, it's wedged extremely tightly on the mount. So am I supposed to just install the CP-E mount using the spacer in place of the triangle bracket? But that would mean using only two bolts instead of the original four, I'm not sure if the bolts are meant to withstand that kind of stress with two load-bearing bolts missing. The installation instructions don't really explain this.
[/b]
Awong, does your factory mount and bracket look like this?

If yes, then you're in kind of a crappy situation, like me. Only a limited number of cars (most likely in the hundreds) had this "transitional" type of design, from the 05 to the 06. The triangle bracket is securely welded to the mount, and there is no prying it off. The normal mount for the 06's should look like the one on the right in this pic:

Let me know if this is the case.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I know this is off topic but I'm going to get the CPE Engine Mount after Magnaflow exhaust and is that pic of a 2005? Hope it's not hard for me to install since I'm 16 and trying to learn more about them

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kit should have come with the triangular bracket. Mine did. Contact CPE to make sure. I'm sure they'll take care of you.
[/b]
The instructions specifically says that the kit for '06's don't come with a triangle bracket.

to get the bracket off the old one, use a bench vice and a hammer :)
[/b]
I tried that, but I started knocking the rubber out of the metal mount before that triangle bracket even started to come loose. I was hammering on the triangle bracket, but it was pulling the rubber out instead.

Awong, does your factory mount and bracket look like this?

If yes, then you're in kind of a crappy situation, like me. Only a limited number of cars (most likely in the hundreds) had this "transitional" type of design, from the 05 to the 06. The triangle bracket is securely welded to the mount, and there is no prying it off. The normal mount for the 06's should look like the one on the right in this pic:

Let me know if this is the case.
[/b]
No, it looks like the one on the far left.

Here's what it looks like:

Notice in the 3rd pic how the bracket is interference fitted to the extreme on the mount.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My last post was already very long, so I decided to just make a new post.

From the information presented in this thread and the information from the CP-E instructions, I think I have pieced together what the situation and problem is.

Exhibit A: In the CP-E instructions say that during the middle of '05 the design of the mount bracket was changed to accomodate the change from the Jatco automatic transmission to the Aisin Warner unit.

Exhibit B: Clone shows a picture of his mount from the transition period mid-'05. Clone happens to drive an ATX (says in his sig).

Exhibit C: Clone's second photo of the different mounts side by side, and said '06's should have the one on the far right, when in fact I have the one on the far left (I assume the far left one is the old mount design).

With these three pieces of information, I have come to conclude that the mount design was only changed for automatic equipped cars, and the manual mounts have never changed at all. Think about it, they never really changed the manual transmission from '03-now, only the autos, Mazda didn't need to change the design of the mount bracket. Maybe CP-E only looked at ATX 6s's when they decided what to include in their engine mount kits (triangle bracket or spacer), and assumed the mount bracket was changed for both ATX and MTX.

On a different note, I put the CP-E mount in my vice and tried to wiggle it, it's almost rigid, I can barely twist the thing a millimeter. I put the stock mount in the vice and I can twist it a LOT with very little effort, in fact I can move the metal cylinder in the large diameter side while holding it in my hand. The CP-E mount is far superior, the stock mount is a complete joke, it has the rigidity of a wet noodle.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The solution might involve heating up the metal with a blowtorch until it expands enough to remove...

Might work ;)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The solution might involve heating up the metal with a blowtorch until it expands enough to remove...

Might work ;)
[/b]
That I don't have, and I don't think using a torch so close to the rubber is a good idea. I think kits for mounts like mine are supposed to have a triangle bracket instead of a bracer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My last post was already very long, so I decided to just make a new post.

From the information presented in this thread and the information from the CP-E instructions, I think I have pieced together what the situation and problem is.

Exhibit A: In the CP-E instructions say that during the middle of '05 the design of the mount bracket was changed to accomodate the change from the Jatco automatic transmission to the Aisin Warner unit.

Exhibit B: Clone shows a picture of his mount from the transition period mid-'05. Clone happens to drive an ATX (says in his sig).

Exhibit C: Clone's second photo of the different mounts side by side, and said '06's should have the one on the far right, when in fact I have the one on the far left (I assume the far left one is the old mount design).

With these three pieces of information, I have come to conclude that the mount design was only changed for automatic equipped cars, and the manual mounts have never changed at all. Think about it, they never really changed the manual transmission from '03-now, only the autos, Mazda didn't need to change the design of the mount bracket. Maybe CP-E only looked at ATX 6s's when they decided what to include in their engine mount kits (triangle bracket or spacer), and assumed the mount bracket was changed for both ATX and MTX.
On a different note, I put the CP-E mount in my vice and tried to wiggle it, it's almost rigid, I can barely twist the thing a millimeter. I put the stock mount in the vice and I can twist it a LOT with very little effort, in fact I can move the metal cylinder in the large diameter side while holding it in my hand. The CP-E mount is far superior, the stock mount is a complete joke, it has the rigidity of a wet noodle.
[/b]
I saw the "AT" in your sig right away so I thought you had the ATX too, my mistake :D .

Looks like we still have the same problem though, a new engine mount that we can't install. It's wierd that your OEM engine mount is different, did much change from the 05 MTX to the 06 MTX? I know the tranny should be the same, and I know there are other 05 MTX'ers with the CP-E engine mount. Have you talked to CP-E about this at all? Maybe they can just send you a triangle bracket and you can just leave the stock mount together (if their triangle bracket has the right dimensions I guess).

I myself still need to figure out what to do. I need the triangle bracket off the OEM mount like the one shown in the picture of the 3 mounts in my post above (the one on the right), and I can't get that part from Mazda without getting the mount with it. That one above comes off, unlike the "transitional" mount I have, which as Awong said is interference fitted. I might have to do the less than honorable thing and let my OEM mount "fail" so I can get a new one under warranty :unsure:

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw the "AT" in your sig right away so I thought you had the ATX too, my mistake :D .

Looks like we still have the same problem though, a new engine mount that we can't install. It's wierd that your OEM engine mount is different, did much change from the 05 MTX to the 06 MTX? I know the tranny should be the same, and I know there are other 05 MTX'ers with the CP-E engine mount. Have you talked to CP-E about this at all? Maybe they can just send you a triangle bracket and you can just leave the stock mount together (if their triangle bracket has the right dimensions I guess).

I myself still need to figure out what to do. I need the triangle bracket off the OEM mount like the one shown in the picture of the 3 mounts in my post above (the one on the right), and I can't get that part from Mazda without getting the mount with it. That one above comes off, unlike the "transitional" mount I have, which as Awong said is interference fitted. I might have to do the less than honorable thing and let my OEM mount "fail" so I can get a new one under warranty :unsure:
[/b]
Well, I think all I need now is the triangle bracket that CP-E provides and I'm all set. I sent them an email and I'm just waiting for a response.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ive got the 05.... with cp-e engine mount. i ordered it as an 05, and got it, and it worked... make sure you jack up the trans? fitment isnt the best, but i managed to get it on.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive got the 05.... with cp-e engine mount. i ordered it as an 05, and got it, and it worked... make sure you jack up the trans? fitment isnt the best, but i managed to get it on.
[/b]
My problem has nothing to do with fitment, I just don't have the triangle bracket, my kit didn't include one.

·
Registered
867 Posts
when you put the info to submit you app for the engine mount did you possible put a different year.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I put 2006. I think I may have received the correct kit for an '06 ATX. I think the MTX brackets look the same for all years, but cp-e didn't have an MTX example to look at and thought the MTX brackets changed as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, I put 2006. I think I may have received the correct kit for an '06 ATX. I think the MTX brackets look the same for all years, but cp-e didn't have an MTX example to look at and thought the MTX brackets changed as well.
[/b]
That makes sense. If they sent you just the mount and a spacer, that is all that's needed from CP-E for the '06 ATX, but of course would not work for the MTX. Shouldn't be a problem getting a triangle bracket from them, since they are so helpful. Josh even offered me a complete refund for my mount due to my situation, but I'll figure out what to do eventually.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CP-E just worked the situation out with me and they're sending me the triangle bracket. Thanks a lot guys (both people at CP-E and people who provided help in this thread)!

·
Registered
436 Posts
So, for future reference, is it the case that 06 MTX drivers should order the 05 mount to make sure we get the triangle bracket?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure, but Jordan from CP-E said they don't know why I have the older design mount and that '06's should have the big one that uses a spacer. Easiest way is just to take a look at your own mount for yourself before ordering it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good idea. When I get under there this week to change the tranny fluid, I'll take some pix to make sure I order the right one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts