Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing something "odd" while accelerating and upshifting (MTX) as of late.

This is how I normally drive: I launch from stand-still and rev to about 4000 in 1st gear before changing to 2nd. I rev to about 3500-4000 in 2nd as well before changing to 3rd.

Now, when I get close to 4000 in 2nd gear I feel the engine begin to "hold back" or interrupt the power somewhat. Don't know how else to explain it.

Anyone know what's happening here?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Judging by how long you've been on the Forums, I'm gonna guess that your car has a fair number of miles on it. You could be experiencing a number of things related to your mileage if you haven't done much preventative maintenance. Things like fouled plugs, clogged injectors, dirty fuel filter, etc could all cause a loss of power at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car's got 48k kilometers (30k miles) on it. It has been maintained regularly, with every service having been done on-time by my Mazda dealer... except for the Redline MT-90 tranny fluid change.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yea, I feel this sometimes. If it's not a really hot day, I just get on the pedal and it perks up.

If you got the courage, give it an "italian tuneup"

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You also might want to inquirer with the dealer if they have ever done a fuel service.

ie Run a fuel injector cleaner. You should be doing that at about every other oil change...most people don't. If you've never done one, it might be worth while picking up a bottle of chevron with techron (mid range cleaner, not too harsh) and running it at your next fillup.

And italian tuneups do WONDERS for this car. The best mileage and best performance I ever have with the 6, is right after a track event.

Also remember that in certain area's, ambient temps are rising rapidly. You lose about 1-2% horsepower every 10F increase in intake temp.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. My normal driving style in a way incorporates an Italian tune-up anyways :). Good advice on the fuel injector cleaner as well.

Also, I replaced the stock airfilter (that's probably never been changed for the past 25K kms) with a brand new one. A distinct improvement in engine performance was noted.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. My normal driving style in a way incorporates an Italian tune-up anyways :). Good advice on the fuel injector cleaner as well.

Also, I replaced the stock airfilter (that's probably never been changed for the past 25K kms) with a brand new one. A distinct improvement in engine performance was noted.
[/b]
Shifting anywhere under 5K would be insulting to an Italian! :nono: Let that Duratec sing!! :nana: But yeah, I agree, need to get on it and blow the carbon out once in a while. :drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
twowheelin
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing