Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the computer governor??

Also what are the Pro's & Con's to doing this?

How is it exactly that by removing the governor you get more power??

Thanks Guys
Elmer :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Engine Governor'

The speed limiter usually can be eliminated with a piggy back module spliced into the ECU's wiring harness. I personally don't see the cons to doing this, unless you start driving at 140 mph everywhere you go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Originally posted by jdl777

The speed limiter usually can be eliminated with a piggy back module spliced into the ECU's wiring harness.  I personally don't see the cons to doing this, unless you start driving at 140 mph everywhere you go.  [/b]

Where can someone get a piggy back module? i've heard that this voids your warranty, is that true? By doing this, does it give you an increase in horsepower??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Engine Governor

Removing the speed limiter would have to void the warranty. The car isn't shipped to go passed 120. Remove that limitation and you've altered the car, potentially to its detrimient.

I see no way that just taking this off would increase HP. It'll just let the motor exceed 120 MPH.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by Ruefus

Removing the speed limiter would have to void the warranty.  The car isn't shipped to go passed 120.  Remove that limitation and you've altered the car, potentially to its detrimient.

I see no way that just taking this off would increase HP.  It'll just let the motor exceed 120 MPH.[/b]
OK, COOL...But asides from voiding the warranty are there ANY physical problems i.e. engine trouble, that could arise from doing this?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Yeah.. usually this chip not only removes the governer but also may mess with the fuel consumption ratio. Usually these chips are tuned to make your fuel mix more rich (telling the engine that cold air is coming in).. It's just a waste and I wouldnt recommend it.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Wouldnt recommend it huh? There a reason why? Most "Chips" pull a few more ponies out of the vehicle, as well as elimanating the "gov". And running rich is not a negative, running lean is.I fI can find a good tuner that makes "chips" for our 6's I'll jump at the chance.
And all this paranoia over voiding warranties...The manufacturer has to prove whatever problem you have with the vehicle stems from the add on. "Well sir you car is out of alignment but we see you have a chip there...We're gonna have to pass on this warranty claim." "You have an aftermarket intake there sir, we cant fix your power windows under warranty." Ummm no.They can try it, but they better have their lawyers on speed dial because there are laws against such practices. And if you are concerned about the chip take it OUT when you go have work done on the car. And dont gimme that crap about the "seal" on the ecu, anytime they have to work on anything the ECU controls they usually break that seal.
Lastly if you intend on ever adding forced induction, like turbos or a supercharger you best have a good tuner and a well tuned chip. So am I for chips...Hell yeah, you cant have just one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Originally posted by HI VOLTG

Wouldnt recommend it huh? There a reason why? Most "Chips" pull a few more ponies out of the vehicle, as well as elimanating the "gov". And running rich is not a negative, running lean is.I fI can find a good tuner that makes "chips" for our 6's I'll jump at the chance.
And all this paranoia over voiding warranties...The manufacturer has to prove whatever problem you have with the vehicle stems from the add on. "Well sir you car is out of alignment but we see you have a chip there...We're gonna have to pass on this warranty claim." "You have an aftermarket intake there sir, we cant fix your power windows under warranty." Ummm no.They can try it, but they better have their lawyers on speed dial because there are laws against such practices. And if you are concerned about the chip take it OUT when you go have work done on the car. And dont gimme that crap about the "seal" on the ecu, anytime they have to work on anything the ECU controls they usually break that seal.
Lastly if you intend on ever adding forced induction, like turbos or a supercharger you best have a good tuner and a well tuned chip. So am I for chips...Hell yeah, you cant have just one.[/b]
Cool..i like your way of thinking:D NOw does anyone know where i could get a chip to "OVERGOVERN" the governer..?? ?Basically how can pass this obstacle? and how much would it likely cost me?

·
Registered
128 Posts

You need a tuner to actually make and distribute the chips. Price will be dictated by availability of the models and mods you have. So being there arent many V6 6's out yet if a tuner made the chips it would be pricey. When my Lightning was new my chip ran me about $450, by the third year of the trucks availability most chips were about $250-300. Depends on the tune you want too.Single mode, flip chip...Street/Strip...many things can change the price. All depends on what you want and how far you want to push the envelope. You would need to contact the tuner that makes the chip and talk to them about what you want. As of yet i dont know of any Tuners that make chips for our cars. If I had to guess I would say the 4 bangers will get those types of products before the V6s simply because there is a greater demand for them all over the world which means more chances to sell those which means more Money money money moneeeeeeey.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by HI VOLTG

Lastly if you intend on ever adding forced induction, like turbos or a supercharger you best have a good tuner and a well tuned chip. So am I for chips...Hell yeah, you cant have just one.[/b]
I believe he was referring to not recommending a piggyback module. Neither would I. I'm sure anyone here would love to get their hands on a well developed chip mod, but buying a quick fix generic box is a bad choice.

·
Registered
128 Posts

My Bad. I missed that portion of the posts Kyler. I failed to see that one poster had mentioned a piggyback. Im with you guys on that one, just say NO to the piggyback mod. And say yes to a true aftermarket performence chip. Does anyone know if any company is working on one, say like Superchips or Diablo? Or perhaps some major import tuner I dont know of?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.