Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the MAJOR differences in the engines? I'm talkin about the internals here. IF they are different. All because I want to see if I can convert my 5-speed atx to a 6 speed mtx. Don't worry, I'll be doin all of the work by myself. Is this possible?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't think there were any significant internal differences for the 3.0 over the last 3 years. For an ATX to MTX conversion, you would be better off selling your ATX and buying an MTX. MTX resale is lower, so you would be selling high and buying low so to speak. This would be end up being a much cheaper, and easier way to get an MTX.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The internals are the same (as far as the v6 goes, which I assume you have)

With the price of the speed6's right now, it will be MUCH cheaper to trade in your car on a speed6. Also, if you convert to a 6sp mtx, you will have TONS of check engine lights.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As for the ATX, The 2003 6s is a 5-speed auto and the 2006+ is a 6 speed Automatic, check the official mazda website to confirm

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
What are the MAJOR differences in the engines? I'm talkin about the internals here. IF they are different. All because I want to see if I can convert my 5-speed atx to a 6 speed mtx. Don't worry, I'll be doin all of the work by myself. Is this possible?
[/b]
Save yourself a few thousand bucks and just buy a MazdaSpeed6. And you'll make out on the future resale too by several thousand.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
after the MS6 i had for the short time and the issues i had from CPU to a bad axle i wouldn't and won't touch one again. now the MS3 might be different ;).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think there were any significant internal differences for the 3.0 over the last 3 years. For an ATX to MTX conversion, you would be better off selling your ATX and buying an MTX. MTX resale is lower, so you would be selling high and buying low so to speak. This would be end up being a much cheaper, and easier way to get an MTX.
[/b]
Very true. BUT, I've done too much to my car, and I'd hate to sell it. Besides, I still owe some cash on it! ;)

The internals are the same (as far as the v6 goes, which I assume you have)

With the price of the speed6's right now, it will be MUCH cheaper to trade in your car on a speed6. Also, if you convert to a 6sp mtx, you will have TONS of check engine lights.
[/b]
Yeah, I do have the V6 model. People are havin problems with the Speed6's. Powerloss, Clutch issues, stuff like that. I don't know if I can get around it or not.

As for the ATX, The 2003 6s is a 5-speed auto and the 2006+ is a 6 speed Automatic, check the official mazda website to confirm
[/b]
Yeah, It sure is. :yesnod:

after the MS6 i had for the short time and the issues i had from CPU to a bad axle i wouldn't and won't touch one again. now the MS3 might be different ;).
[/b]
Haha Yeah. Thats what I mean...Thats some serious stuff right there! Yeah, we'll see about the MS3's

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Very true. BUT, I've done too much to my car, and I'd hate to sell it. Besides, I still owe some cash on it! ;)
Yeah, I do have the V6 model. People are havin problems with the Speed6's. Powerloss, Clutch issues, stuff like that. I don't know if I can get around it or not.
Yeah, It sure is. :yesnod:
Haha Yeah. Thats what I mean...Thats some serious stuff right there! Yeah, we'll see about the MS3's
[/b]
obviously you haven't really done your homework on the ms6. Clutch issues are fixed, powerloss is fixed, and you are seeing 2-3 people with issues. That is hardly an epidemic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You are better off leaving the wuto in the car. First you have too buy a manual tanny then convert it over... Its not cheap no matter the car unless ur an mechanic urself and know that the heck ur doing. As well you would have too change out the main computer that is in the car itself. Being that most automatics are now computer controled. Ur better off just getting buying a mtx insead of installing one. I had looked into for a car I had long ago. It was an atx and I decided that the money was not worth doing since I dont know crud how to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
jackwstrickler
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing