Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80000 miles and the engine died. It kept eating oil. I did a breathalyzer test on the PCV valve and it's in working condition. Mechanic said something about the seal is busted.

So my ? is, if you were in my shoes, would you fork out the $5k for an engine replacement, or just trade it in and get a new car? Do dealers even accept trade-in cars that need new engines? My car is all paid-off, so I don't have any debt on it.

2003 6s V6 Auto. Great car, and was hoping it would at least last me until I could trade up to a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
80000 miles and the engine died. It kept eating oil. I did a breathalyzer test on the PCV valve and it's in working condition. Mechanic said something about the seal is busted.

So my ? is, if you were in my shoes, would you fork out the $5k for an engine replacement, or just trade it in and get a new car? Do dealers even accept trade-in cars that need new engines? My car is all paid-off, so I don't have any debt on it.

2003 6s V6 Auto. Great car, and was hoping it would at least last me until I could trade up to a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6.
[/b]
Cheaper to fix than replace. Also, don't bet on a 2007 MazdaSpeed6.

·
Registered
978 Posts
wow, that sucks! i would think it would be worth a lot more with a working engine in it...can't you get one out of a junkyard or something for a whole lot less? since i have a v-6 also, i can only hope this is not the norm! sorry to hear of your bad fortune.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Swap in the Noble Engine!!!

Seriously, it probably is just cheaper to replace than take the huge loss you will get on the car that needs that much work done to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
wow...thats a hard decision. not sure if a dealer would take something in like that, it never hurts to ask, but likely they will give you next to nothing for it. me personally, i would shop around and find a decent deal on a used motor, and do the swap. ;)

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
[/b]
Last time I heard, there will be a '07 MS6, due to the 6 redesign being pushed back to '08.

But yeah, if the car's in good shape, I'd swap out the motor and get another 80K+ miles out of it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I'd trade in. Many car's are never the same after an engine replacement, unless you have a seriously competent dealership. There are so many components that are removed and replaced, that any flaw in the experience or competence of one of the tech's working on the swap will result in endless rattles, and various problems down the road.

Of course I always see the approaching void at the end of every tunnel.

·
Registered
446 Posts
[/b]
ehm...Diva, this is why "stupid" americans looking for reliability buy the Toyota Camry. 80,000mi is young to need a new engine. Flame away.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
ehm...Diva, this is why "stupid" americans looking for reliability buy the Toyota Camry. 80,000mi is young to need a new engine. Flame away.
[/b]
Isolated case. I had a Toyota with an engine replaced at 68,000 miles. You need to look at the larger data.

My SVT Contour went over 191,000 on a Duratec V6 (with lots of storage at the end).

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Swap in the Noble Engine!!!

Seriously, it probably is just cheaper to replace than take the huge loss you will get on the car that needs that much work done to it. Good luck!
[/b]
Why is that a joke?

Buy the long block from AER for $4,500 and you have a great starting block for a forced induction motor. Screw Mazdaspeed, single turbo, twin turbo, centrifugal or lysholm, choose your poison and know that you have an indestructable engine.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
wow, that really sucks. i take it your out of warranty? i thought the basic major component warranty, including the powertrain, was something like 5 years.
[/b]
5 years OR 40,000 miles whatever comes first.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm tempting to swap with the noble...i'll do some research. I'm still waiting to get a definitive answer from my mech...but i appreciate everyone's thoughts. thanks...

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I though it was 4/50 like everything else (until the 2007's come around).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing