Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I hope Im posting in the right spot.

I have a 2.3L 4 cyl that I bought new in 2007. I just crossed 215K miles and she's been a champ up until the last couple months.

So, yesterday after about 25 miles of freeway driving I exited and got into some city traffic. At a stop light the car just died - no sputtering or anything like that. The engine panel just lit up and the car died. I threw it in park and re-started. No problem, she turned over and I was on my way. No issues this morning either - made the 25 mile commute to work with no problem.

Any idea what happened?

Back story: she overheated last month and I replaced the top hose, the thermostat and coolant sensor. No problems since then.

I also power washed the engine compartment....I know, not a brilliant idea. Soon after this the engine misfired so I replaced the ignition coil on cylinder 3. Again, no further issues.

Any comment on possible reasons why she would die at the light would be appreciated.

Finally, I was hesitant to buy a Mazda but this car has been awesome. I have no complaints (except that they did a lousy job on the headliner) and would recommend a Mazda to anyone.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

I power wash my engines all the time, I hate a dirty engine bay. I just don't spray electrical boxes and connectors.
Check your battery connections, remove them give them a good clean. Baking soda (1 tbsp in two cups of water) is great for this. Follow the wires and check the connections as well.
The light intensity increasing is an indication that they got more than 12-13 volts and that can happen when the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Both battery terminal clamps were broken and loose. Very strange. Anyway, I replaced them and everything seems fine. I appreciate the advise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Deacon87
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing