Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the site for information on the engine cover or as the shop manual calls it, the "spark plug hole plate". The insulation on the bottom side of mine is just flat falling apart. I have white flakes all over the engine bay. I was going to pull off the insulation of an replace it with some radiant barrier insulation but then I got to thinking, with the radiant barrier reflecting heat back onto the engine ( plug wires, injectors, fuel rail etc) I may do more harm than good and maybe the white flakes aren't that big of deal. Anybody have any input on what the insulation on the bottom of the cover is for? I'm starting to think it is more for noise than heat. Any thoughts on what to use for replacement material?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My OEM cover never had insulation to begin with...and then I replaced it with a carbon fiber piece. Just rip the stuff off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I was concerned that removing the insulation would cause the cover to warp or even worse, melt. I have a tendancy to over analyse things. Its a curse.

·
Registered
862 Posts
QUOTE (w580i @ Jan 30 2010, 10:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1633490
Thanks for the input. I was concerned that removing the insulation would cause the cover to warp or even worse, melt. I have a tendancy to over analyse things. Its a curse.[/b]
The plastic cover does help keep water out of the coil packs, but the insulation is just there for sound deading.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
the same co that offered the V6 carbon fiber cover did offer a 4 cyl version also. it was even available it like 3 different colors of carbon fiber. but those havent been made in like 3 years. :(

so your only chance is finding a used one somewhere. but i dont think ive even seen anyone with one since back when they were still being sold. i really wish i hadnt slacked off on picking one up. i really regret it. :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Feb 3 2010, 10:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634519
the same co that offered the V6 carbon fiber cover did offer a 4 cyl version also. it was even available it like 3 different colors of carbon fiber. but those havent been made in like 3 years. :(

so your only chance is finding a used one somewhere. but i dont think ive even seen anyone with one since back when they were still being sold. i really wish i hadnt slacked off on picking one up. i really regret it. :([/b]
in doing some research i found a company that has some templates for the carbon fiber engine cover and the fuse box cover they wanted for both shipped 240.00 . He told me they used to sell RPM the fuse box cover. So i think i am going ahead and pick it up from them . Here there site

http://www.feathercarbon.com

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
That's the company that made my cover but they don't make them anymore.

Lance placed an order with them and paid for an engine cover months or maybe even a year ago and he still hasn't received his item. Also, they've ignored his emails and phone calls.

·
Registered
465 Posts
QUOTE (Egierda @ Feb 6 2010, 04:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635273
That's the company that made my cover but they don't make them anymore.

Lance placed an order with them and paid for an engine cover months or maybe even a year ago and he still hasn't received his item. Also, they've ignored his emails and phone calls.[/b]
i was going to pay them using paypal , so maybe they can look out for me just in case the company tries to screw me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts