Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my oil change this weekend and when I took off the cover to get access to the filter the cover was coated in oil. Traced down the leaks to the seams between the block and the transaxle. Both over at the side where the pullies are and near the rear driver's side of the engine block.

Oil is seeping between the seams of the machined surfaces....

Engine has ~12K on it.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
20,400 on mine and no oil leaks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same situation. 11K-12K. There's already another thread going on this in the main MS6 section. Two to three others reporting this issue. I'm starting to consider buying that extended warranty.....

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Being my first turbo car. I went with the 100k warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is my third turbo car. The first two were both VW/Audi 1.8T with no major problems. The VW had over 100K on it and never leaked or used one drop of oil. I am extremely dissapointed that my Mazda is already leaking oil with less than 12K miles on it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i was one of the ones that first stated this problem......my car has 8700miles on it and is doing the same thing. I looked at it real close. while there is a chance of it being the main bearing, i highly doubt it is, i believe it to be the way they have the oil pan gasket sealed up. and the crap they use, which is nothing more than rtv sealant is not holding up to the temp and causing leaks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't find the thread on the main forum -- any hints?

Have any of you talked to Mazda about this?

Back to my search for existing posts! :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
some of these problems are isolated, but still problems. if i had another thing wrong with my car with 6k miles (already cracked a BPV and had a bad PCV) especially something like this or the differential problem, then i would make my dealership give me the extended waranty or cry LEMON

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I think its interesting that all of you seem to have a very similar mileage on your cars. Makes it seem like there has been a specific manufacturing issue with a recent run of the cars. These things happen and I'm sure Mazda will correct it very soon as it seem as though the number of people with the problem is steadily increasing. As far as long term issue, most (if not all) of the problems you're going to have like this are ones you'll see well within warranty and they should all be adequately addressed. Don't forget you have two other cars sharing your engine, so if this is a problem, Mazda WILL fix it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's crazy we have to rely on "luck" to ward off the gremlins when we buy a new car. Thanks for the heads up! I will definately keep my eyes on this issue.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i schedualed a apt today at the mazdaspeed dealership, they said that they believe that it might be the oil pan 'gasket' but they are gonna check it out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine went in today to the dealer. It's not very pretty.

Apparently Mazda is using silicone only to seal the case to the transaxle as well as all the other surfaces.

The timing cover is drooling oil all the way from the top. The tech is going to have to rip the engine apart on the pass. side from top to bottom to get the cover off.

The other leak is easier to service but still requires a tear down of the transaxle (I am saying this right?) to re-seal.

Sigh....

Mazda Tech told them to tear it down and reseal...

AWDTERROR -- how is yours coming?

·
Registered
851 Posts
mines on the other side of the engine. mines coming from the plate that holds the rear main seal. which is actually sealed in with an actual gasket.
they got most of it back together today, they got the axels and some of the supporting stuff to put back on and they will be done. btw I also check and they check my clutch and it looked almost brand new.

anyways i should get it back by end of business tommorow by latest wed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's back in just over 24 hrs so that was impressive.

They had to open the transaxle and reseal and refill. Timing had to come off for that leak.

While I was there I pointed out how the radiator overflow hose had swelled and spewed all over my engine. Turns out there is a TSB for this. They replace the hose with a smaller one that won't slip. Will post in other forum.

·
Registered
856 Posts

They had to open the transaxle and reseal and refill. Timing had to come off for that leak.

While I was there I pointed out how the radiator overflow hose had swelled and spewed all over my engine. Turns out there is a TSB for this. They replace the hose with a smaller one that won't slip. Will post in other forum.
[/b]
Glad to hear you got yours back so quick.
My buddy up there called me yesterday saying he was still waiting on my parts, he also mentioned that he had your car apart in the bay.

I was hoping the TSB you mentioned was for the leak.

·
Registered
851 Posts

[/b]
yeah yours was a little easier to do. mine they had to pull the whole transmission off and had to wait for the gasket, and actually gasket...yeah i was suprized just as much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah yours was a little easier to do. mine they had to pull the whole transmission off and had to wait for the gasket, and actually gasket...yeah i was suprized just as much.
[/b]

17,000mi starting to seep a bit. time to make an Appt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts