Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting at the beginning - i drove to school today, a bit aggressively if anything...5 miles, stop and go, some cruising. everything was as usual. i parked the car and went to class, so it had a chance to sit for a couple hours.

after i started to drive home, i was feeling a surge in the powerband that was eerily reminiscent of (dare i say) pre-flash power. for about 5 minutes the car was running like a raped ape...i was smiling from ear to ear and at one point i even exclaimed HOLY SHIT! in second and third gears the car was pulling so hard it felt like an extra 40 lb-ft or so, as a rough estimate

ambient temp was 58 degrees, clear day, dsc off, just my skinny self in the car. my guess is that the car was running stronger due to the cool dense air, but then after a bit of stop and go combined with the hard running, it started to heat soak a bit...leading to the performance diminishing/leveling out.

so, all this ranting and raving for what...well, it chaps my ass that this kind of performance is locked in the car!! if it were only available all the time :irate: . im just hoping there is a PnP tuner soon that can help us out. i know the butt dyno is not a good judge of power, but commuting the same roads for 3 years, and in the same car for months on end, you get in tune with a certain few things. the difference was noticeable, and ill stick to my guns on that.

anyone experience anything similar ever?

·
Registered
679 Posts
It was about 30 this morning....I felt the same ape.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice turbo weather this time of year!
It was 55 here in DFW last night and I felt the car pull like f'n crazy too!
I guess she REALLY REALLY likes that cold air. It is like a totally different motor when its cold out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'll start my own thread but DAMN I'm frustrated. 50 degrees here, accelerating from a stop was great, after 4k rpms was great, but dropping a couple of gears to pass and ending up in the 3k range-hesitation and roughness up the ying yang...

·
Registered
440 Posts
With most stock turbo cars your always going to have somewhat uneven performance.... and..... better performance in the cooler, less humid weather. This is my 6th stock turbo car and I know it's just part of the deal with stock turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
+1

It's only been about 60 for a low here, but good lord, between the CAI and the cool temps, it does remind me of the demo I drove those 2 weeks :drive:

As I was telling a buddy, this is going to be trouble, I can't stay out of the throttle! The turbo sound is just too nice!!!! Bring on the 30 degree temps!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I feel for you guys with intermittent power issues. I've honestly had maybe 2-5 stuttering issues with mine since April, each time it was momentary.

I haven't and won't get the reflash.

I've been adding some Torco fuel additive from time to time. ACCELERATOR - Unleaded Race Fuel Concentrate is in my opinion the single best thing I've added or done to the car so far.

Run a bottle a tank, it's worth it just for the kick in the pants!

Save the 'octane boosters are a scam' for someone else. This is the real deal.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Nice turbo weather this time of year!
It was 55 here in DFW last night and I felt the car pull like f'n crazy too!
I guess she REALLY REALLY likes that cold air. It is like a totally different motor when its cold out.
[/b]
Yes, turbos and cool weather, Great!

Not to threadjack, but do you have a pic of where you hardwired your passport? I've looked and can't seem to decide where best to use the wire splice (the 3m connector). I'm getting different opinions (many involving removal of some of the dash, ugh!) Your input would be awesome!

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always thought the car was fast, but yesterday morning I met the APE. I had no idea the car could do that!!! Don't get me wrong :love: I love my car but i always want it to drive like that NOW!!! :drive: AND i'm spent...

·
Registered
870 Posts
There is one advantage to living in a climate that's cold 8 months of the year :D

Anything below 10C and the car feels much different. Similar to what 100 octane does.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I haven't and won't get the reflash.[/b]
That's smart, a lot of people took the car to the dealer to get the reflash and drove home with a car that had less power and torque. I feel badly for the people that don't read this site but those who do should have known better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts