Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When first got my 6s I loved it and I still do but now I may be looking for a new car. I am still staying with mazda but looking at the speed3. I had a engine replacement after only9000 miles. I am on engine #3 and I have had many other problems with my 6 since then. I am just fed up and I dont want to deal with the problems anymore. Speed 6 may be a possibilty but I dont know yet. I thought I would share my frustration with you guys. :(

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
When first got my 6s I loved it and I still do but now I may be looking for a new car. I am still staying with mazda but looking at the speed3. I had a engine replacement after only9000 miles. I am on engine #3 and I have had many other problems with my 6 since then. I am just fed up and I dont want to deal with the problems anymore. Speed 6 may be a possibilty but I dont know yet. I thought I would share my frustration with you guys. :( [/b]

In general the Ford Duratec V6 that the Mazda6 uses is a proven and reliable engine. Three engine failures is almost unheard of, I'd be curious to know exactly how they failed. Your list of modifications and your posting of your quarter mile times in your sig indicate you're doing more than just regular driving with it, and that can compromise reliability. The fact is that most 6s V6 cars are deadly reliable, so its nothing wrong with the original car. Maybe rachet back a bit on how hard you're beating on the car?

Frankly if you're having that much trouble with the V6 car I don't think the higher strung turbo 4cyl of the Speed is going to be your best choice. If anything they require a bit more care and feeding than the regular motors and with your track record of engine failures they might not be your best choice.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In general the Ford Duratec V6 that the Mazda6 uses is a proven and reliable engine. Three engines is almost unheard of, I'd be curious to know exactly how they failed.

Frankly if you're having that much trouble with the V6 car I don't think the higher strung turbo 4cyl of the Speed is going to be your best choice. If anything they require a bit more care and feeding than the regular motors and with your track record of engine failures they might not be your best choice.
[/b]
Oh I get it this is something I did. I take better care of my car than almost anyone I know so dont give me this track record BS. This has nothing to do with what I have or have not done to the car. Man I didnt think the first responce to this thread would be someone basicly saying its my fault. I have had many cars and have never had a engine replacement. Untill now....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
but the fact that you're on your third may be saying something.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So please explain to me how it would be possible to have 2 engines fail when I get my oil changed every 3,000 miles and I dont floor it every chance I get. The only thing I have ever done to the car is a intake. I even put the stock airbox back in befor I started getting the ticking noise again. The engine didnt fully fail but I started getting the ticking noise. The dealer tried to figure out what it was but they cant fix it so they say I need a new engine.

My 6s got an engine and I told MNAO to put me in a speed... and they did after 9 weeks of talking to my lawyer :D GL
[/b]
They had my car for almost 2 months the first time. Man I hope I dont have to go through that again.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Oh I get it this is something I did. I take better care of my car than almost anyone I know so dont give me this track record BS. This has nothing to do with what I have or have not done to the car. Man I didnt think the first responce to this thread would be someone basicly saying its my fault. I have had many cars and have never had a engine replacement. Untill now.... [/b]

Sorry, but facts are facts. the Duratec is a reliable engine. Nor did I point the finger at you for doing something wrong. But three engines in the lifetime of one automobile is NOT even close to normal, nor is it common to the Mazda line or the Duratec motor. It could be the dealerships fault, but three times in a row would seem unlikely. Like I originally said, I would be interested in knowing exactly what the nature of the engine failures was. You mentioned something about the dealer not being able to correct a "ticking" noise and replacing the motor because of that. "Ticking" can be a lot of things, depending on where its coming from, how loud it is, when it happens, etc., etc. Maybe they were just being lazy instead of actually repairing the problem, its hard to know why they made that decision without knowing exactly what failed on the engine(s)

My point is your bashing of the car line or the engine design in general just isn't reasonable, and that's how your original post came off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sounds to me like the people working on your car dont know what they are doing, so they just replace the engine hoping that will fix it. LOL

Both your engines are probably fine. LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah, the lifter ticking is normal in the duratec 3.0l. That is not a fixable thing, nor a reason to have the engine replaced. Sounds like your dealership doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
ha, have they ever blamed it on aftermarket? Like could it be the home made intake messing up the air and possibly restricting it. Have you changed all of your filters??

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Even with every bolt on part from the aftermarket your engine should be fine. Going through 3 engines sound very strange. Personally if I had those problems (3 engine replacements) I wouldn't even be looking at Mazda for a future car purchase.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be clear the first was due to the neglegence of another oil change place. They didnt put enough oil in the engine and it blew. I am going on my 3rd engine meaning only 2 have gone bad. I never once said anything bad about the 3.0 engine nore anthing about Mazda. I have had many other problems with this car. Some of you guys take so much to heart that you cant see that I am not bashing Mazda in any way or ever will. I just said I was going to get another car.

Sorry (jaybo) but you know nothing about me or my car so dont just say something just to bring up your post count. (NEWB) Only 2 engines have failed not 3. I said I was on my 3rd engine. I thought some you guys might help me feel a little better about the situation not bash me for it. I did nothing wrong and like I said I take very good care of my car and would never do anything to intentionaly hurt it. Think what you want but i still love my car but there are just too many problems.

ha, have they ever blamed it on aftermarket? Like could it be the home made intake messing up the air and possibly restricting it. Have you changed all of your filters??
[/b]
Yes all the filters have been changed. The intake was a CPE from the 2.3. The only thing that is different is the way the intake is bent. That should have nothing to do with it. I have had my oil changed every 3,000 miles. I also put the stock air box back in for the winter about a month and a half ago. The ticking started after the CAI was out.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
To be clear the first was due to the neglegence of another oil change place. They didnt put enough oil in the engine and it blew. I am going on my 3rd engine meaning only 2 have gone bad. I never once said anything bad about the 3.0 engine nore anthing about Mazda. I have had many other problems with this car. Some of you guys take so much to heart that you cant see that I am not bashing Mazda in any way or ever will. I just said I was going to get another car.
[/b]
Well, that sheds a little bit of light on the situation. Sorry, but your original post did sound quite negative towards Mazda, or at least your particular Mazda.
Engine #1 obviously had nothing to do with the brand of car or motor, but it might be a good indication as to why you should do your own oil changes. Read thru the forums and you'll come across dozens of oil change horror stories, some of them even at the hands of Mazda dealers. For as easy as the procedure is, unless you have absolutely no facilities for working on your car there's no excuse not to learn how to do this yourself. At least you will know you've done it correctly. I have to assume this was not covered under your warranty.

I'm not sure what you're saying about Engine #2. If it was just a "ticking" sound there is a certain amount of ticking noise that is quite normal in the DOHC V6, but I doubt any dealer would be replacing a whole engine just for that. They do have to clear major issues like that with the reps.

I'm not being unsympathetic towards your string of misfortunes, but frankly it appears at least some of them could have been prevented even if not by your own actions. I guess if you've just fallen out of love with the car after all the mishaps that's your decision but heck, after 3 engines the odds are probably in your favor for having a good one this time...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
in second thought, using that 2.3 cp-e intake for the v6 probably wasnt the best idea in the world? arent the MAF's different? the ecu's are definatley different. it could potentially cause a too lean condition, detonating the motor to destruction....

or did you get the tuneable and get it tuned, i forgot.

anyway, sorry to see your sellin your car ! gonna go back to the grand am? you going to sell your mods?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in second thought, using that 2.3 cp-e intake for the v6 probably wasnt the best idea in the world? arent the MAF's different? the ecu's are definatley different. it could potentially cause a too lean condition, detonating the motor to destruction....

or did you get the tuneable and get it tuned, i forgot.

anyway, sorry to see your sellin your car ! gonna go back to the grand am? you going to sell your mods?
[/b]

Um arch!! You have to read all the way through man. I said I was thinking about getting the speed3. Why would I go back to a grand am :huh:

Second of all when I put my car on the dyno the guy said it was running a little rich not lean.. Common guys I cant believe this crap. One engine fails becouse of someone else fucking up and the second starts ticking because of who knows what and It all has to be my fault. The dealer pulled the whole top half of the engine apart and couldnt find the problem so they are going to replace it. I should have never said anything...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Common guys I cant believe this crap. One engine fails becouse of someone else fucking up and the second starts ticking becouse of who knows what and It all has to be my fault. The dealer pulled the whole top half of the engine apart and couldnt find the problem so they are going to replace it. I should have never said anything... [/b]
I think I tried to make it pretty clear I never was pointing the finger at you for the problems. Engine #1 was most definitely not caused by anything you did (except maybe trusting the car to quick lube morons). I'm curious about Engine #2. Was it a complete replacement engine, just a short block, or a remanufacture?
My curiosity is mainly due to all the engine problems and the fact that I own a 6s with the same engine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well an engine seizing could easily cause problems in other areas depending on how it failed. it could have clogged something up or screwed with the tranny. Even if someone beat the piss out of a new car it doesn't go boom twice in so short a period of time. So I believe you. Just don't walk around on friday the 13th with your luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts