Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is kinda idiotic of me...and i probably wouldn't say this but i curious

i was really hungry and tired.....so i drove to go eat at denny which is like a 10-15min drive.

anyways...somehow i forgot to release the emergency brake handle when going...and i didint' see the red light

being tired...i don't notice the light cause u see all the red lights anyways..doesn't really stand out.

anyways...after driving i started smelling something burning...like a resistor burning and

*lightbulb goes on

i see my brake handle up...

:zzz

now..should i be worried if there's damage or i'm just thining the brake pads is just worn out more now.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: emengency brake on during drive

No I don't think anything bad happened. Exept for som funny gas milage and a little wear. But has it tightly applied? Casue you shoul have some trouble starting with normal clutch operation :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Doubt you did any real damage, probably just heated up the rear rotors some but they're solid and fairly tough.

If they got really hot you may have boiled the brake fluid. If the brakes feel soft, you may want to have them bleed. But I don't think you got them hot enough, really.

Don't feel too bad, in 30+ years of driving I done it a more than a few times myself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Replying to Topic 'emengency brake on during drive'

Hehehe... I did that with a Ryder truck when I was moving from DC to Atlanta. I forgot the emergency brake was on and drove the thing like 5-7 miles. There was smoke coming from the tires and it smelled REALLY, REALLY bad! It was quite funny....

·
Registered
35 Posts

I work for a company that makes brakes. Not the ones for the 6 (too bad, I'd have a stock of parts). Anyhow, you won't do damage driving with the hand brake on for only 10 minutes. If you use it rather than the service brake to stop from say 100 km/h, then yeah, you could break something.

In your case, the emergency brake became an emergency make the car smell funny lever.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I don't know how the hell you were able to drive with the E-brake on. I have a manual so I set it all the time. On occassion, I will forget to release it, and attempt to go, but the car will not even move an inch! The rear end will raise up and the car stands completely still.

Seems to me the car shouldn't move at all with the E-brake set and if it does, it would indicate the brakes are not at full capacity.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

i did that sometimes...makes me really scared if somehow the Emergency break started to wear off and couldn't work properly..but when i go to the dealer, i always ask them to check the parking brake and adjust it again =)

·
Registered
341 Posts

Yeah, I hate that e-brakes nowadays don't hold as well. I'd prefer the car to drag the tires if I left it on.

My old BMW 318i had the BEST e-brake. It was like something out of a video game. I could be driving down a 2 lane road, yank it up, and spin myself into the other lane in less than a couple seconds. Ah, the good ol' days.

Of course, now that I'M the one paying for my tires, this isn't so cool anymore.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Ichi,

Your actually kinda lucky. Someone was right when they mentioned that you could have boiled your brake fluid. When this happens, your brakes don't work too well, or not at all. So as a warning to anyone reading this, if you find that you were a little tired one day and drove with the brake on, pull over and let them cool down... better safe than sorry - and I'd miss any and all of your valuable posts here... :(

Read the following for a similar instance where this could happen... they don't mention the specific case of driving with the brake on in this article but they do in others, and it's the same principle... http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/19...4/April/06.html .

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

yeah...i'm super lucky now when i start the car and drive off...u know one thing i be checkin :D

i got the dealer to check it out and no problems.whew

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

I've done the same thing, but only for 3 or 4 blocks. I don't put the e-brake all the way up because I broke the one on my last car when only 2 months left on the lease (WTF!). The red light on the dash doesn't stand out at all against the red guages. In fact, it's pretty dumb that Mazda makes the stupid headlight indicator green, and leaves the e-brake indicator almost he same color as the dash!

I hate that headlight indicator....

G

·

I just did the same thing - driving with e-brake on about 5 miles. bad smell and even the wheel became so hot. Hope nothing damaged. I wonder why the car don't have any sound indicator to warn when driving with e-brake on.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

I once saw a bus pull up to the greyhound terminal with locked brakes...it was kinda amusing to see it round the turn with all the weight shifted and see all the white smoke coming from the wheels and then get slammed with the stench that accompanied it...it was like the bus from hell....they did get another bus...that was the last time i rode greyhound :p

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

I don't know how the hell you were able to drive with the E-brake on. I have a manual so I set it all the time.  On occassion, I will forget to release it, and attempt to go, but the car will not even move an inch!  The rear end will raise up and the car stands completely still.

Seems to me the car shouldn't move at all with the E-brake set and if it does, it would indicate the brakes are not at full capacity.
Yeah, I don't know how someone could do this in a manual unless they did it on purpose. That's an odd sensation when you let out the clutch and the car starts to rise, heh.

But an automatic behaves pretty normally with the e-brake up. Easy to drive without noticing it until it starts burning. I never used them in my autos unless I was parking on an exceptionally steep hill or something. That's what 'park' is for.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'emengency brake on during drive'

if you cant notice an e-brake on when you are driving you really dont pay much attention to your car. Hmm, why is my car so sluggish? Why at low speeds does it almost stop automatically? Why is there no get up and go?

By no means at all does an auto behave pretty normal with an e-brake on, unless by pretty normal you mean that you have to have your pedal almost to the ground to accelerate a few mph.

But on that note, with only that little bit of driving, like everyone else said, you probably did no damage (ahh, there you go, and your dealer confirmed it)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.