Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Prosport Electrical Boost gauge and vacuum shows -20 -21 somewhere in that area... sound right? So im assuming there isn't a vaccum leak as i would also encounter idle (stuttering) problems, which i dont have..

Now the BAD!

WOT boosting to 10-11psi (well thats what gauge is reading) wuts the prob? stock BOV pos? any help from you guys greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
what line did you tap for the gauge also how far up the line is it. both of these things affect your reading also what is the air temp where you live this can afect your boost also

·
Registered
851 Posts
vac normal

boost if that is toward redline then it's normal

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what line did you tap for the gauge also how far up the line is it. both of these things affect your reading also what is the air temp where you live this can afect your boost also[/b]

well the hose that comes out of the BOV and over to the intercooler (hooks in around ther dunno what its called) i cut that and put the T in there.... then the clear hose went off the end of the T into a filter then into the Boost sensor.. there is a bit of a distance i suppose.. line begins at BOV and goes to the boost sensor which is toward the back left of the battery if your facing the car.. I hope you can picture all that :| thanks Temp is like 10F

vac normal

boost if that is toward redline then it's normal[/b]
Nah, not toward redline just in general WOT :/

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went down the highway just cruising normal speed, boosted to maybe 12 max... temp is 10 degrees F but i shortened hose a bit and checked everything everything is tight.. could this be a cause of the stock BOV leaking?

here is a picture (PaintShop skillZ) of how everything looks under the hood

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would think the stock BOV maybe the problem! I say this cause I replaced mine with the turbo XS Hybrid BOV and man what a difference! The car pulls so much harder I do not have a gauge but the power increase is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the stock BOV maybe the problem! I say this cause I replaced mine with the turbo XS Hybrid BOV and man what a difference! The car pulls so much harder I do not have a gauge but the power increase is noticeable.[/b]
im thinking that, however i wanna know if the bov is leaking then how many psi could that possibly drop it? 3-5psi? seems high but i checked everything there is no leak car idles fine
(vacuum leak could cause idle probs i would guess) so this is leading me to believe that its the pos bov

·
Registered
651 Posts
While the BOV might be leaking, I'm thinking with it being 10 degrees outside and having a CAI...your problems are pretty much there. On very cold days, I find this car to be rather sluggish...

I'd wait for the temps to increase before doing anything rash.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While the BOV might be leaking, I'm thinking with it being 10 degrees outside and having a CAI...your problems are pretty much there. On very cold days, I find this car to be rather sluggish...

I'd wait for the temps to increase before doing anything rash.[/b]
well car seemed pretty peppy but ur right when it was warmer out b4 like even 30degrees car felt like pulled like no other but didn't know it wasnt boosting to max.. ionno everything is tight so i guess ill pick up the greddy type-rs bov and see if that helps.. might wait for it to warm up a bit

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Went down the highway just cruising normal speed, boosted to maybe 12 max... temp is 10 degrees F but i shortened hose a bit and checked everything everything is tight.. could this be a cause of the stock BOV leaking?
here is a picture (PaintShop skillZ) of how everything looks under the hood[/b]
That picture is horrible.......why couldn't you just take a real pic and draw on it..

·
Registered
330 Posts
your lines look fine. the problem is that your sender is probably not calibrated correctly.

for me, when the engine was warmed up, i would get 12-13psi at wot, -29mmhg on deceleration, -24 at idle, and when i shut off the engine, would be at about -4. thats when i adjusted the potentiometer to bring the needle to zero. now i get -20 at idle, -24 at decel and 15-16psi at wot, which is pretty much what everyone else with mechanical gauges are getting. if you remove the 2 screws on the sender, you will see two small potentiometers. after the car is warmed up, turn the ignition key to the run position (engine not running) and just adjust them to get your boost gauge to read correctly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your lines look fine. the problem is that your sender is probably not calibrated correctly.

for me, when the engine was warmed up, i would get 12-13psi at wot, -29mmhg on deceleration, -24 at idle, and when i shut off the engine, would be at about -4. thats when i adjusted the potentiometer to bring the needle to zero. now i get -20 at idle, -24 at decel and 15-16psi at wot, which is pretty much what everyone else with mechanical gauges are getting. if you remove the 2 screws on the sender, you will see two small potentiometers. after the car is warmed up, turn the ignition key to the run position (engine not running) and just adjust them to get your boost gauge to read correctly.[/b]
sent you a pm... imma go get food temp is at 20F feels like 0 :( but let you know if it was zero'd before i start car

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here are some photos of my sensor install.. looks like we have slightly different sensors even though we both have prosport gauges..

I also wanted to post pictures of how I mounted my sensor.. Turns out it threads pretty nicely onto the bolt that holds the battery strap.

Let me know if you have any questions..

EDIT... I only have attached the sensor... I have not had time to run the wires to the gauge, hence the zip tie holding the cables to the arm for the time being..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some photos of my sensor install.. looks like we have slightly different sensors even though we both have prosport gauges..

I also wanted to post pictures of how I mounted my sensor.. Turns out it threads pretty nicely onto the bolt that holds the battery strap.

Let me know if you have any questions..

EDIT... I only have attached the sensor... I have not had time to run the wires to the gauge, hence the zip tie holding the cables to the arm for the time being..[/b]
which one did you buy? i bought the electrical one for $54.50 i think

·
Registered
85 Posts
which one did you buy? i bought the electrical one for $54.50 i think[/b]
Ah.. Mine is the new electrical stepper motor series that was in the group buy.. $73 or $74 shipped..

I still have to do all of the wiring, pull the console to tap the wires to the cig lighter for +12V and dimmer, but that will have to wait until I get done teaching the next two weeks.

Peace

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been noticing the same thing with my gauge. I don't have the prosport gauge, i've got a Stewart Warner mechanical gauge. My vacuum is around -18 at idle, -20/21 at decel, max boost seems goes about 13 usually, 14.5 in 5th for some reason. It hasn't been warmer than about 20 degrees since I installed the gauge and I'm sick of working in the cold so I'm going to mess around withit once it gets warmer, check connections and what not.

Also, If anyone knows a good place to get some silicone tubing like the stock tubing from the BPV to to the intake, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been noticing the same thing with my gauge. I don't have the prosport gauge, i've got a Stewart Warner mechanical gauge. My vacuum is around -18 at idle, -20/21 at decel, max boost seems goes about 13 usually, 14.5 in 5th for some reason. It hasn't been warmer than about 20 degrees since I installed the gauge and I'm sick of working in the cold so I'm going to mess around withit once it gets warmer, check connections and what not.

Also, If anyone knows a good place to get some silicone tubing like the stock tubing from the BPV to to the intake, please let me know.[/b]
ya this sucks wonder if its cold ionno i need to change out stock bov :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
ya this sucks wonder if its cold ionno i need to change out stock bov :([/b]
I am not positive, but my intuition would tell me that it's the cold temp. The car adjusts based on temp right? and if it were still boosting 15 psi at that temp versus 70 degrees, you would be pumping a lot more air into your engine so I would think your engine would cut the boost down a bit? Turbo experts feel free to correct me here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just installed my Prosport Electrical Boost Gauge today. It was about 40 degrees outside. It was reading -21 to -24 vacuum at idle and just barely over 15 lbs. of boost(where it should be) during WOT. Dont know if this will help any, but just though I would share because of the possible outside temperature issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.