Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this spring kit for the speed6, it is EIBACH Pro-Kit part number 5543140.
LOWERING KIT, 2006, MAZDA, MAZDASPEED6, EIBACH, LOWERING KIT PRO KIT, 4 CYL TURBO, 1.5" FRT 1.4" RR LOWERING. $261.

Then there is the EIBACH Sportline kit part number 44355, it is 2.0" front and 1.5" rear for the same $261.

Would you say that this brand is not a great spring because of any experiance noted with them? If there is legacy problems with this brand, what exactly was good or bad about them? I am thinking of doing the sportline kit on my car soon.

I want to hear about anyone that may have used these and had good or bad experiances with them before I bring them into the shop for use on my car.

Thank you for your consideration and input, I am looking to you guys to help me make a wise choice.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i had sportlines on my 95 accord and they have ruined springs for me for life. nothing but coilovers for me now. the progressive rate on stock shocks was a terrible combination. the ride quality was terrible. but that was a different car. it all depends on the design of the stock shocks. but if you're looking for a long term review, just go into the suspension section for the regular mazda6 and read up.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am looking at this spring kit for the speed6, it is EIBACH Pro-Kit part number 5543140.
LOWERING KIT, 2006, MAZDA, MAZDASPEED6, EIBACH, LOWERING KIT PRO KIT, 4 CYL TURBO, 1.5" FRT 1.4" RR LOWERING. $261.

Then there is the EIBACH Sportline kit part number 44355, it is 2.0" front and 1.5" rear for the same $261.

Would you say that this brand is not a great spring because of any experiance noted with them? If there is legacy problems with this brand, what exactly was good or bad about them? I am thinking of doing the sportline kit on my car soon.

I want to hear about anyone that may have used these and had good or bad experiances with them before I bring them into the shop for use on my car.

Thank you for your consideration and input, I am looking to you guys to help me make a wise choice.
[/b]
Eibach makes good springs, but their MS6 springs are just rebadged regular 6 springs. They are not designed to handel the extra weight of the MS6, so they will sit lower than advertised. You should be ok with the prokit, but I'd definatly stay away from the sportlines. If you want a spring with springrates that were designed for the MS6 look at the Autoexe springs.

·
Registered
721 Posts
larry, your ride is going to be fast and you've noted that you appreciate the handling and balance of the stock suspension tuning. you should consider a full coilover like the KW Suspension coilovers instead of springs alone.

sportlines were a good choice when they were linear but since they went progressive they're just a lower version of the prokit. matched with stock shocks this setup will dissapoint you. the quality of eibachs aren't the question, it's the lack of published spring rates that makes us question the application. Eibach has used the V6 application for the MPS even though there is a 300lb weight difference and a heavier rear end with the extra lsd and drive shafts in the rear.

If you have access to dealer pricing it's worth the step up to full coilovers. if you insist on springs match them with koni yellow's but not stock shocks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you want Eibach on the Speed6, go with Pro-Kit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Since so many MS6 owners, including myself seems apprehensive to take the dive with the only readily available lowering springs by AutoEXE and the elusive H&R ones, why don't the suspension gurus on this board come up with the ideal street spec for a lowering spring and we contract Eibach to make them for us through a group buy?

Eibach Custom Spec Springs

I have read over the years in various car mags who appear to have done this for one off projects and always have mentioned Eibach as their source.

So what will it be?

Linear rate
30mm lower
Front 370 lbs
Rear 225 lbs
(looks familar?)
Color? They offer 100 choices! :drool:
Labeling? They can apply any name onto the springs! Mazda6Club?? :D

Then find out what pricing at what quantity, etc. If it comes out to less than $400 shipped, then it may be worth the effort.

But even before contacting Eibach, I would want some input and AGREEMENT on spring specs. :yesnod:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definately go with the Pro-Kits if you are just going the route of aftermarket springs on stock shocks. But I do agree that a full suspension set up would be best. Coilovers up front, of course keeping the 5 Link rear. I've had very good luck with my Eibach springs as furnished by Ground Control here in California, but I am definately about to change to a full suspension set up as my stock shocks have lost some dampering characteristics all be it 2 years later. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Since so many MS6 owners, including myself seems apprehensive to take the dive with the only readily available lowering springs by AutoEXE and the elusive H&R ones, why don't the suspension gurus on this board come up with the ideal street spec for a lowering spring and we contract Eibach to make them for us through a group buy?

Eibach custom springs

I have read over the years in various car mags who appear to have done this for one off projects and always have mentioned Eibach as their source.

So what will it be?

Linear rate
30mm lower
Front 370 lbs
Rear 225 lbs
(looks familar?)
Color? They offer 100 choices! :drool:
Labeling? They can apply any name onto the springs! Mazda6Club?? :D

Then find out what pricing at what quantity, etc. If it comes out to less than $400 shipped, then it may be worth the effort.

But even before contacting Eibach, I would want some input and AGREEMENT on spring specs. :yesnod:
[/b]
Very interesting proposition but IMHO i would want it slightly lower, possibly 45mm-50mm, and stiffer, 8kg/6kg. linear for sure, colour should match or compliment "koni" yellow shocks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Very interesting proposition but IMHO i would want it slightly lower, possibly 45mm-50mm, and stiffer, 8kg/6kg. linear for sure, colour should match or compliment "koni" yellow shocks.
[/b]
Agreed if everyone who is installing the springs are installing the appropriate replacement shocks as well. We would have to determine through popular vote, the intended application. Track or Street.

However the AutoEXE springs seems so popular with members on this forum, but it appears that almost every install was on the stock shocks and reason was the stock MS6 shocks are an upgrade when compared to a comparable Mazda 6.

If we go with something approaching 50mm (2 inches), this will be much too low for the MS6 OEM shocks. So if a group buy is to be initiated, everyone would have to decide are they staying with the stock shocks or replacing them.

My recommendation for stock shocks 30mm - 35mm, upgrading the shocks (Koni yellows) and trimming the bump stops 40mm - 45mm.

We can go stiffer, but again, what is the intended market? Too stiff, might as well go with coil overs. :D

Let's get more input for design specs. Here is a suspension calculator on Eibach's web site.
Calculator

·
Registered
845 Posts
larry, your ride is going to be fast and you've noted that you appreciate the handling and balance of the stock suspension tuning. you should consider a full coilover like the KW Suspension coilovers instead of springs alone.

sportlines were a good choice when they were linear but since they went progressive they're just a lower version of the prokit. matched with stock shocks this setup will dissapoint you. the quality of eibachs aren't the question, it's the lack of published spring rates that makes us question the application. Eibach has used the V6 application for the MPS even though there is a 300lb weight difference and a heavier rear end with the extra lsd and drive shafts in the rear.

If you have access to dealer pricing it's worth the step up to full coilovers. if you insist on springs match them with koni yellow's but not stock shocks.[/b]
I'm really having a difficult time comprehending how a Mazdaspeed6 has more sprung weight than a standard Mazda6. Sounds like a nice little fable to give people a paranoia about the rear end sagging and Eibach being a crappy choice. Eibach is smart enough to realize the car has more weight. Obviously it's in areas that are not 'suspended' and hence, you have their approval!

Let's also logically try to keep in mind that the engine, transmission and drivetrain components are not SPRUNG weight.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I Let's also logically try to keep in mind that the engine, transmission and drivetrain components are not SPRUNG weight.[/b]
Wow. I know very little about cars, but I'm pretty sure that this statement is completely incorrect.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

...Also, the rear drive shaft, transfer case, and extra structural bracing all add to the weight of an MS6 when compared to a Mazda6.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I'm really having a difficult time comprehending how a Mazdaspeed6 has more sprung weight than a standard Mazda6. Sounds like a nice little fable to give people a paranoia about the rear end sagging and Eibach being a crappy choice. Eibach is smart enough to realize the car has more weight. Obviously it's in areas that are not 'suspended' and hence, you have their approval!

Let's also logically try to keep in mind that the engine, transmission and drivetrain components are not SPRUNG weight.[/b]
Have you ever looked underneath your car? Have you ever wondered why they had to shrink the gas tank over a normal 6? Do you think all that AWD hardware out back that doesn't exist on a "normal 6" might add some weight, especially in the rear? Let's not even consider the extra bracing the chassis has over the american built 6's. Finally, I don't see anywhere in the thread where people claimed the extra weight was sprung, or unsprung, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, did we need to resurrect this almost 2 year old thread for that? The MS6 weighs more than any of the other 6's. Eibach has never made a spring for the MS6, they just have them for the other 6's. When the MS6 first came out, some people tried them, and were very disappointed. There is a big difference between simply fitting, and working well.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Have you ever looked underneath your car? Have you ever wondered why they had to shrink the gas tank over a normal 6? Do you think all that AWD hardware out back that doesn't exist on a "normal 6" might add some weight, especially in the rear? Let's not even consider the extra bracing the chassis has over the american built 6's. Finally, I don't see anywhere in the thread where people claimed the extra weight was sprung, or unsprung, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, did we need to resurrect this almost 2 year old thread for that? The MS6 weighs more than any of the other 6's. Eibach has never made a spring for the MS6, they just have them for the other 6's. When the MS6 first came out, some people tried them, and were very disappointed. There is a big difference between simply fitting, and working well.[/b]
+1

Here's the extent of Eibach's extensive "testing":
http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10524

PS. God, I miss Mazda6tech.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
"..Eibach has used the V6 application for the MPS even though there is a 300lb weight difference and a heavier rear end with the extra lsd and drive shafts in the rear."

Let's also logically try to keep in mind that the engine, transmission and drivetrain components are not SPRUNG weight.[/b]
Guess current topic is sprung weight.

Curb Weights 07:
3618 MS6
3320 M6 Mtx Sedan

Engine/trans/diff IS sprung weight, question is what is the extra UNsprung weight? 1/2 of the rear axles, and slightly heavier hubs and brakes. Most of the 300 lb added weight is sprung.

MS6 is listed as 60% front weight bias.

Mazda lists all M6 models at 60% front bias, but, based on car and driver wagon data, I figured only the 6S sedan has 60% front bias. That's why Eibach lists those springs for the MS6.

Any spring but proven coil-overs, or springs from RPM or autoexe, is a real compromise.

Example: MS6 rates are 5.0kg F and 3.7 kg rear. 6S Prokit is 5.8F and 3.6R per Eiback tech line. So you have close to 2" drop with only 16% stiffer fronts, and softer rears.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Also, did we need to resurrect this almost 2 year old thread for that? The MS6 weighs more than any of the other 6's. Eibach has never made a spring for the MS6, they just have them for the other 6's. When the MS6 first came out, some people tried them, and were very disappointed. There is a big difference between simply fitting, and working well.[/b]
First of all, reviving an old thread really isn't that big of a deal. If it's a concern of bandwidth, maybe you guys should just delete some old threads instead of leaving them there with the opportunity of being revived. Secondly, I don't see why you'd have to take a condescending approach in addressing my concern.

About sprung vs unsprung weight, well... that's the entire point. The BODY and INTERIOR of the vehicle is suspended over the chassis. Components bolts to the chassis and connected to the wheels are not SPRUNG weight. I will post an illustration later tonight to show my point. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but I'm just looking at it from a logical approach. Yes, there is some added bracing to the chassis, so I can see a little difference in the sprung weight. But as far as the real heavy items that add to the cars weight actually AREN'T supported by the springs. So why should it have a higher spring rate?

I'm not saying Eibach has superior R&D. But they are a great company in terms of high volume and large scale product lines. They have solid products and are considered an industry standard. Of course, specifically tested and tuned springs from smaller efforts do produce better results. But the Eibachs should work fine for me. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
"..Eibach has used the V6 application for the MPS even though there is a 300lb weight difference and a heavier rear end with the extra lsd and drive shafts in the rear."
Guess current topic is sprung weight.

Curb Weights 07:
3618 MS6
3320 M6 Mtx Sedan

Engine/trans/diff IS sprung weight, question is what is the extra UNsprung weight? 1/2 of the rear axles, and slightly heavier hubs and brakes. Most of the 300 lb added weight is sprung.

MS6 is listed as 60% front weight bias.

Mazda lists all M6 models at 60% front bias, but, based on car and driver wagon data, I figured only the 6S sedan has 60% front bias. That's why Eibach lists those springs for the MS6.

Any spring but proven coil-overs, or springs from RPM or autoexe, is a real compromise.

Example: MS6 rates are 5.0kg F and 3.7 kg rear. 6S Prokit is 5.8F and 3.6R per Eiback tech line. So you have close to 2" drop with only 16% stiffer fronts, and softer rears.[/b]
nice response... my question remains... how is engine, tranny, drivetrain considered sprung? Pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Assuming the chassis does not move and you run over a brick, anything that moves up and down with the wheel is UNsprung weight. This includes wheel tire control arms brakes and lower half of the coil spring. All else is sprung weight, ie supported by the springs.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Assuming the chassis does not move and you run over a brick, anything that moves up and down with the wheel is UNsprung weight. This includes wheel tire control arms brakes and lower half of the coil spring. All else is sprung weight, ie supported by the springs.[/b]
Wow. Very nice description. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts