Mazda 6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Just had my vacuum pump done as a gesture of goodwill as there is a recall on vacuum pumps just not got round to sending the letters out
Excellent! Good to hear. So that's yours sorted then? Hopefully they'll replace mine as goodwill as well :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just got my car back after being dropped off at my local Mazda dealer today. They checked the error codes as below:

P0401 - They advised that the engine needs a thorough carbon clean. I think they called it a 'decoat' or something? This will require 6 hours labour however, they advised that they will cover this under goodwill, so it isn't going to cost me anything. Fair play to Mazda for doing this!
P258B - Vacuum pump needs replaced. They are also going to try to get this on goodwill, but this is not guaranteed. They might be able to get up to 70% of the cost covered by Mazda.

My car is booked in for Tuesday 26th Jan and I should have it back sometime on the Wednesday. I will post an update on this soon after.
I think they meant de-coke, so basically a carbon clean. I also called my Mazda and they just flat out said my car is not suitable for city driving. My car is the 2.2d variant. So I've basically decided once summer comes I'm selling my vehicle off. I do heavy city driving so I'm probably better off getting a petrol or hybrid. Im likely to also get a de-coke done, I can't wait for the engine to blow it self up. It's basically a time bomb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
I think they meant de-coke, so basically a carbon clean. I also called my Mazda and they just flat out said my car is not suitable for city driving. My car is the 2.2d variant. So I've basically decided once summer comes I'm selling my vehicle off. I do heavy city driving so I'm probably better off getting a petrol or hybrid. Im likely to also get a de-coke done, I can't wait for the engine to blow it self up. It's basically a time bomb.
Ah right it's de-coke! Didn't realise that. Thanks! Yes I believe diesels hate short trips so probably city driving is more suited to petrols etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
I left my car in with Mazda this afternoon. They are going to de-coke the engine tomorrow and also replace the vacuum pump. They told me last week that they will try get the vacuum pump replaced under goodwill, but I may have to contribute something to it. All the work is booked in and they did not make me aware of any additional charges, so fingers crossed they are covering it (most likely due to the known issues with the vacuum pump on this model). I should have the car back on Wednesday, all being well. I will post an update on here soon after I get the car back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I got my car back late this afternoon. They carried out a de-coke on the engine, replaced the vacuum pump and did some recall work. I think they mentioned the recall had something to do with the wheel arches but I'm not totally sure on that. They only charged me for the initial diagnostics and engine coolant. I thought that was really good of them however, unfortunately the fault code has re-appeared. I'm beginning to think the MAP sensor is at fault. The error was there before when it was absolutely clogged to the max and couldn't possibly have been working. The same error was present after it was cleaned and now the entire engine has been de-coked. I was going to get Mazda to service the car anyway as its due next week. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they suggest. Very frustrating because the car is driving perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The mileage is just over 100,000.
I have to assume that this is in miles and not kilometers. I'll be worried if this is in kilometers however, I seldom do city driving so I'm not that much worried.

I got confused with what I just said.

This makes me think, what's the equivalent of the term "mileage" when using the unit kilometers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay folks we sell used cars in Birmingham and we had some problems with a Mazda 6 2.2 diesel.Dpf light on,traction light on,eml on.4 workshops later no solution. Went to Mazda dealer we deal with who said we know what it Is.Clean the inlet manifold.Firstly the MAP (manifold absolute pressure)was coked up and was cleaned.It is one bolt and easily accessible.This improved the mileage we did to 150 but still came on.Now it’s manifold is stripped down and has a lot of carbon.Our fault was indicating MAF but you should interpret as MAP/MAF.We are having the manifold decoked this week and road testing again.I know your fault code isn’t the same but a blockage further upstream could restrict the egr valve.Our egr was cleanish but the MAP sensor clogged as was the manifold.If anybody is interested I can post the results after the manifold is cleaned.MAP sensor clean made a lot of difference to the drive for 10 minutes work.Unfortunately Diesel engines after 50k miles will accumulate carbon enough to affect performance on the air intake side even if no lights come on.An egr clean on an Audi A4 2008 felt like a new engine.I hope this post helps
Hi Jay, I recently bought a Mazda 6 2.2d with 60k miles myself and almost 1 month after I got the P0401 error and check engine light on. I'm from Italy, went to a local car service and they told me most probably I need to change the EGR valve. The check engine light and error sometimes turns itself off for a day or two but always comes back on. I used a device to measure values while driving and noticed that the intake manifold absolute pressure (IMAP) is always lower than intake manifold pressure desired values. After reading your posts here on the forum I'm quite sure it's carbon build-up in the EGR system and manifold that's causing this. I got the car to a local mechanic the other day for a quick check-up and he said a throughout cleaning will cost me around 600 EUR. Do you guys think this is an honest price? Here's some photos

·
Super Moderator
17,845 Posts
@Chris.T don't know why but I needed to approve your message first - free bump for your troubles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hi Jay, I recently bought a Mazda 6 2.2d with 60k miles myself and almost 1 month after I got the P0401 error and check engine light on. I'm from Italy, went to a local car service and they told me most probably I need to change the EGR valve. The check engine light and error sometimes turns itself off for a day or two but always comes back on. I used a device to measure values while driving and noticed that the intake manifold absolute pressure (IMAP) is always lower than intake manifold pressure desired values. After reading your posts here on the forum I'm quite sure it's carbon build-up in the EGR system and manifold that's causing this. I got the car to a local mechanic the other day for a quick check-up and he said a throughout cleaning will cost me around 600 EUR. Do you guys think this is an honest price? Here's some photos
Hi @Chris.T

@Jay at would be able to give you a much better answer than me, but here's some input that may help.

My symtoms of the P0401 error were very similar to yours. The odd day the light would go out, but then come back on again soon after. It has been like this for about the past year. As you will notice from this post, I took it to multiple mechanics and also tried some DIY cleaning. I had the EGR valve and cooler removed for cleaning. I cleaned the MAP sensor myself with carbon cleaner (yours could definitely do with a clean judging by the photos), I had an engine clean using a hydro cleaning machine which cost about £100 if I remember correctly. I even swapped out the EGR valve for a good condition used one and the same fault presented itself. I analysed the actions of the EGR valve in real time using app data and to the best of my knowledge, it is fully functional.

I certainly wouldn't go replacing the EGR valve just yet. The most likely cause is carbon build-up. From previous posts, I belive @Jay at got to the roto of his problem with was actually the EGR cooler. It was removed and given a professional clean and as far as I am aware, this resolved the issue for him.

After all the messing around with mechanics, I thought I would try my local Mazda dealer just for the initial diagnostics. It may cost a bit more but you should hopefulyl end up with an accruate answer regarding the root cause. I wish I'd done this sooner, but here we are!

I took the car to Mazda a few weeks ago and to my surprise, they wanted to book the car in for an enginer decoke (carbon clean of the engine by stripping it down). To my suprise, they covered this outside of warranty. They also replaced the vacuump pump free of charge. They advised 6 hours labour for the engine decoke so the price you got of 600 Euros is probably similar to dealer cost. I would definitely take it to the delaer first if the price is similar. Also, they may even cover the cost, seeing as your car only has 60,000 miles on it (mine had 104,000 miles). If they do say it needs a decoke then I think you have a strong case for at least a partial goodwill considering the low miles. I will post a separate update on my own situation which thankfully is looking good. All the best and I hope you get to the bottom of your issue!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Update: the EML went out a day after my last post and has not been back on again since (6 days now). This is easly the longest the light hasn't been on since I bought the car a year ago. In addition, I just picked up my car from Mazda tody after I left it in for a service. The same mechanic who did the decoke did another quick test and confirmed all errors have cleared. Fingers crossed the issue has now been resolved. I will post another update here in the next week or so to let those interested know how it is progrssing.

I should also note that the vacuum pump error has gone too since Mazda replaced the vacuum pump :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The EML is back on again today and it is the same P0401 error. Very frustrating. I might replace the MAP sensor before going back to the dealer again. The dealer said that if the error message shows up again then it may well be the EGR Cooler. As they have alreaady done a full decoke, they might recommend replacing it. I am not sure how much this will cost, but all they could tell me was that it would be "expensive".

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The EML is back on again today and it is the same P0401 error. Very frustrating. I might replace the MAP sensor before going back to the dealer again. The dealer said that if the error message shows up again then it may well be the EGR Cooler. As they have alreaady done a full decoke, they might recommend replacing it. I am not sure how much this will cost, but all they could tell me was that it would be "expensive".
I would like to know if you bought the car brand new. I'm a bit concerned because it seems that the diesel variant is like a time bomb for a super duper, all out money repair.

I do mostly highway driving and this I hope will prevent any issues with the EGR and/or DPF.

EDIT: I checked the first post and saw that you just acquired the car. I suspect that the original owner might have not taken good care of the car or this is really a problem at that mileage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Yes @Archerfish there's no real way of knowing how the last owner took care of it, or they just used a bad mechanic. All I know is that the car drives fine. You would never know there was an issue if it wasn't for the annoying EML. I can;t simly ignore it. It bothers me every time it pops up.

I'm glad I took it to Mazda because they replaced the vacuum pump which was faulty and did a full enginer decoke without charging me. The reason I am suspecting the MAP sensor is because it is intermittent. Sometimes the fault will clear itself. I expect that if there was a vacuum leake somethere then the fault code would remain present. I've recorded some data which I wil upload to see if anyone is familar with the readins. I hope @Jay at is still about to see this. He's very knowledgable on this car's EGR system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I took some data recordings which I'm not totally sure what to make of. I'm using an Android app called Car Scanner which takes readings of multiple sensors in the car. Below is a screenshot of the MAP sensor. The EML came on the dash while I was driving around 20:47. The MAP sensor appears to be operating correctly, although I am no expert on this. I did see it drop well below the desired 14.5 on occasion but I guess that could be a misread? I checked this yesterday and at idel, the reading was 11.6 psi which seemed a little on the low side. I was right at sea level when this occurred, so not sure if that is a factor.

Is there any other sensors I should check? I should have the data recorded, so just a matter of adding a separate chart. I'm just trying everything possible because the dealer told me if the decoke didn't fix it then it might be the EGR cooler. I would prefer more than a "might". If I paid for the EGR cooler to be replaced and the fault came back then obviously I wouldn't be very happy. Appreciate any input on this. Thank you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Some more good news. My local dealer contacted Mazda again about my issue and they have agreed to cover the cost of replacing the EGR cooler. I am honestly blown away by their willingness to help me fix it. I think it certainly helps that the car has almost a full manufacturer's service history. I would guess it would be a different story otherwise. I will post a further update when the EGR cooler has been replaced. Fingers crossed, this will fix the issue once and for all :)

101 - 120 of 126 Posts