Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm finishing up replacing my valve cover gaskets and am wondering if I should do the EGR mod but wanted to know if anyone ever ended up having weird / concerning behavior after doing it. I don't want to assume I know more than the engineers that built it.

Anyone do it and have any long term data on reliability and results?

also thinking about the TB coolant mod.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hey all,

I'm finishing up replacing my valve cover gaskets and am wondering if I should do the EGR mod but wanted to know if anyone ever ended up having weird / concerning behavior after doing it. I don't want to assume I know more than the engineers that built it.

Anyone do it and have any long term data on reliability and results?

also thinking about the TB coolant mod.

Thanks!

What EGR mod are you talking about? EGR reroute or optimized? Having both on the car for 4 years, I've had no issues at all. While I have no data to back it up, I'm sure it's better than letting precat dust into the intake manifold and down into the block. Lol

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
EGR optimize (cutting EGR probe)

I think my 07 is immune to the precat issue iirc

I'm not sure of immune, but I think the consensus is less likely. Also IIRC the EGR tube on the later engine is modified already...I remember popping mine out but it didn't look like the earlier models that people were doing it on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure of immune, but I think the consensus is less likely. Also IIRC the EGR tube on the later engine is modified already...I remember popping mine out but it didn't look like the earlier models that people were doing it on.
here is mine, in the top right corner.

I thought they routed differently. hmm...

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I don't remember exactly but I remember looking at it and thinking it done already. Maybe mine was done?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember exactly but I remember looking at it and thinking it done already. Maybe mine was done?
Perhaps, not sure. I'm just a little hesitant about lobbing off part of my probe without considering the negative ramifications.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Perhaps, not sure. I'm just a little hesitant about lobbing off part of my probe without considering the negative ramifications.

What negatives were you thinking of?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm honestly not sure. I'm no mechanic, but I was curious to know if anyone has any data or even stories. Just want to be careful, since there is no uncutting it, only buying another one, best case.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
The DIY from TGNY has some data to back it up, he also was/is a tuner so I'd feel confident in saying that he had the proper tools to test it and correctly. @DJ Raydiate says he hasn't had an issue withe the mod or reroute, so I think you shouldn't worry about 'negatives' :) I say mod away!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes, I followed all the diy here on the forum and have had both of those mods for well over 30k in the 4 years that I've owned the car with no issues at all. Cutting the pipe allows it to flow better and more evenly into the intake manifold while rerouting the EGR puts fresh, cooler air into the manifold vs the hot exhaust gasses. To me this was a must do for my car beings that it's an 03 with the precat issue. Then again, once they were gutted then it became a non issue but cool air vs hot air still wins in my book lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The DIY from TGNY has some data to back it up, he also was/is a tuner so I'd feel confident in saying that he had the proper tools to test it and correctly. @DJ Raydiate says he hasn't had an issue withe the mod or reroute, so I think you shouldn't worry about 'negatives' :) I say mod away!
Sounds good, I'm gonna give it a whirl

thanks all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts