Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Edmunds, RX8 First Drive'

Cool!

I notice the pictures have some elements of the earlier concept, and some of the newer photos. Perhaps this is the production version? but the front looks the same, and that was to be changed.

Oh, and
"With the exception of few tired vehicle designs (Chevrolet Cavalier or Acura NSX anyone?)"

Are they nuts? The NSX has a timeless design! It is one of the hottest cars ever produced!

and
" The gauge cluster uses three pods, with the larger central pod housing a tachometer and a digital speedometer"
Oh no! Not a digital speedo! :(

They said they liked it, but I would've liked to see more detail on the drive.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Applejax: I don't think they were disparaging the actual design of the NSX, just its age. They're just stating that it hasn't had a major redesign within the last five years.
Nice article overall. I think the RX-8 will outsell the Z, just because there's that dash of practicality in there without compromising performance. Room for four, 50:50 weight distribution, and lighter curb weight leading to nimbler handling will easily negate the small power advantage of the Z. Both cars have edgy styling, so some will run one way, others the other way, but overall the RX-8 is a better package. Obviously the low-end torque will be an issue, but really torque lovers will most likely buy an American V-8 (Pontiac GTO anyone?). I think the RX-8 is well positioned to make inroads into the sport car category. A lot of people who love the feel of a small roadster or coupe but need a little more room will flock to this car. Great job Mazda!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I don't know about outselling the 350Z, I hope it will.
The only thing that disturbs me about this article is that the automatic version will only come with 210HP; what is that. I hope they price it much lower than the $26K estimated price tag for the car.

Oh Matt, the link doesn't work.

·
Registered
319 Posts

One article, I don't know if it was edmunds or thecarconnection, mentioned that Mazda is already planning to add the analog speedo for the reskin in a few years. Seems if they are already knowing they want to do that, then they could have done it right out :sarc

Also, there were some nice quips about the new rotary, which sounds like a real winner. Something about the incredible speed to redline (apparently 9000RPM); but then the car connection said true redline is 10,000 RPM!! Who is right, we won't know right away, but maybe 10K is where the buzzer and fuel cutoff comes? They also said that the low and midrange torque is much more satisfying than the S2000 or the Celica GT-S, both engines to which the RENESIS was compared due to similar torque output and redlines. They also said the Mazda was much more enjoyable to drive at the upper limits of the rev range than the S2000 because of the rotary's phenominal (<-- did I spell that right??)smoothness.

I have always been fascinated by the rotary engine, and it looks as if this new version is a hands down winner. I truly believe that if 1 or 2 things in the history of the automobile would have gone a slightly different way, we'd all be driving rotary power today. The rotary was an amazing design, but unfortunately just as it was making its hit, the fuel crisis came, and the rotary bit the dust. I think without that, we'd all be in rotaries.

I recently took a course on internal combustion engine design, and we analyzed parts from everything from I4 to V8's. Let me say that when you dive into these motors, with similar output as the rotary, that the beauty and simplicity of the rotary really shines even more. Those V8's were HUGE, and weighed close to 500lbs. They had so many parts, so many friction points, I many times just shake my head at how such a rediculously complex machine became the everyday standard for IC power.

I guess the way to put it is that the rotary is elegant simplicity. Just a beautiful piece of engineering, or more a work of art, who can only really be understood when you can see side to side the difference between piston and rotary, and who's benefits can only be experienced by driving one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replying to Topic 'E

There's one differences that I notice: the small airdam below the headlights are bigger on these new ones compared to the older yellow one from Tokyo motor show. The side mirrors are also different. Check this out:

·
Registered
319 Posts

This is my favorite shot. Just plain AWESOME is the only way to describe it.....

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Hmm nice rims! Would look good on a 6 maybe :)

I'm sorry to say though, that I think this is one ugly car... :/ The "old" RX-7 (last generation) is a really beauty dispit it's small size, but this!? Quasimodo!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Nice pics guys. I don't know -- this car is really starting to grow on me. If I didn't love AWD so much and want some more cargo space, I might seriously consider it. As it is though, MazdaSpeed 6 is the winner. I'm sure the RX-8 will outhandle the MS6 though, given its better weight distribution and lighter weight.

Maybe the beauty is all in the function, but I'm starting to like the looks more and more. The front wheel arches especially are very dramatic and sporty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
kenoka
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing