Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote: An area we've yet to discuss is the Accord's new "skin." We don't normally spend much time focussing on aesthetics because, in the end, there is simply no way to qualify a vehicle's beauty…or lack thereof. We did, however, drive this Accord alongside the current Camry and Altima, not to mention the new Mazda 6. After studying all four midsize players from various angles it became apparent that no one on staff liked the new Accord's exterior styling. The front end lacks a true grille or any formal hood line, and there's barely a hint of a bodyline running from the fender to the quarter panel. What might be dubbed as "simple and clean" by some was collectively identified as antiseptic and droopy (even as mainstream sedans go) by our staff.

Actually, the 2003 honda accord is really ugly.

Today, 2 motorist bikers commented on my Mazda6.
Both of them give the "thumb-up" and indicate the car body shape "very beautiful".

:p

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Edmunds.com review on 2003 Honda accord'

Haha. Everyone has to agree that the 6 is best over time. heh

·
Registered
837 Posts

Though, I love that fact that the Mazda6 is gorgeus. You have to read the whole article. They still think the Honda is a winner if you pass the styling.

The big question is would the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima (both direct competitor of the Accord and Camry) take a big chunk out of Honda and Toyota sales? I mean the car market can only buy so many car. So would Honda still get its 400K and Toyota its chunk?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by hieppo

Though, I love that fact that the Mazda6 is gorgeus.  You have to read the whole article.  They still think the Honda is a winner if you pass the styling.

The big question is would the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima (both direct competitor of the Accord and Camry) take a big chunk out of Honda and Toyota sales?  I mean the car market can only buy so many car.  So would Honda still get its 400K and Toyota its chunk?[/b]
No way !

We ( at Mazda Atenza Forum ) knows that Mazda6 clearly is the winner here.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The '6 sounds as if it will gain the approval of enthusiats, but there are alot of people who want the isolation of a luxury sedan. Alot of people. I don't see the '6 denting Accord or Camry sales too much, but it may affect the more performance-oriented Altima or Passat.

·
Registered
19 Posts

The biggest losers are the Big 3 with no competing products in this segment. The new Vetra based Malibu will be more competitive but not likely to make a huge splash. To this end, Honda and Toyota will continue to gain marketshare at the center of the marketplace, even while Mazda, Nissan, and VW continue to gain buyers from the performance fringe...

·
Registered
87 Posts

I've seen a lot of new Accords on the road here in LA, and it's not that bad of a car. The 6 is obviously better looking, and probably better handling. The Camry is the monstrosity as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

When I take a look at my dealer's lot and see what cars he traded in for brand new Mazda6:es, I get a feeling for what is going on.

Mazda is rocking the market, big time.

On my dealer's parking lot, you find:

An almost new Lexus
An almost new Saab 9-5
A brand new Mercedes (the owner must have driven it almost directly to the Mazda store to trade it in once he got it...go figure that one out...)

There are also a LOT of newer Volvos, other Saabs etc. And many of them are in mint condition.

What does this tell me? Well, that Mazda6 for sure can compete in the prestige segment. And do it well. So, don't be too surprised if Mazda takes a chunk of the pie from all the above brands, and then some: Mercedes, BMW, Rover, Alfa etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Originally posted by MAZDAMAN

I've seen a lot of new Accords on the road here in LA, and it's not that bad of a car.  The 6 is obviously better looking, and probably better handling.  The Camry is the monstrosity as far as I'm concerned.[/b]
Yes I have to agree...at first when I saw the Accord in the magazines...I gagged...but when you see it in the flesh it sorta warms up to you....and if you actually test drive one ...the warmth continues. Well whatever they did its probably the cleanest design in the class with regards to aerodynamics...think think the cD is .30...and the TSX euro accord is even more wind tolerant...all these play into the higher mileage figures...the only burr in the Mazda 6 saddle.

TSX (euro accord)pics here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=543344
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=540997

~Nanda
1992 Miata 200k smiles

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, the Mazda is not alone.

But.

Honda may in many ways have a reputation that Mazda doesn't. Still, fact is that here in Sweden where government owned test facilities test each and every car every year - figures show one thing clear.

Mazda is the most reliable car. No other brand can give it a match. Forget Honda, forget Toyota, forget the rest...they don't even come close.

With Mazda6, Mazda takes a step forward. It isn't enough for a car to be reliable, it has to give other values as well.

* Designwise, Mazda6 is far superior to the Honda - everyone but Honda fanatics think so. Personally I think the Honda design is plain and simple, but ending right there - it's simple. Too simple. Boring, in fact.

* Handling. Honda has always been good at this. But this time they may have been beaten by Mazda. Handling abilities is a lot about taste - how do you want the car to act and react? But if you read car magazines, Mazda gets better grades than Honda on this too.

There are other things worth mentioning also - the new engines with extremely flat torque curve, the sound design, the ergonomics, the attitude, etc.

The Mazda6 stands out more than Honda in any way you see it. But still, Honda is a fine vehicle. But not a great one. That is Mazda6. (And I'm not selling Mazda here, just telling the fact...:D )

·
Registered
13 Posts

The Edmunds review had this to say of the Accord sedan's styling: "More Garfield than cheetah".

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by iceman

The Edmunds review had this to say of the Accord sedan's styling: "More Garfield than cheetah".  [/b]
YOOHOO!

·
Registered
319 Posts

UFOMX5 said:
Yes I have to agree...at first when I saw the Accord in the magazines...I gagged...but when you see it in the flesh it sorta warms up to you....and if you actually test drive one ...the warmth continues. Well whatever they did its probably the cleanest design in the class with regards to aerodynamics...think think the cD is .30...and the TSX euro accord is even more wind tolerant...all these play into the higher mileage figures...the only burr in the Mazda 6 saddle.

~Nanda
1992 Miata 200k smiles[/b]
I'm not so sure I'd agree about fuel economy as a burr. The Mazda6 I4 gets fantastic mileage, just a shade behind the Honda. Mazda6 obtains 25/32 with 2.3L 5 speed manual. Accord gets 26/34. V6's are a different story, the Mazda is respectable with 20/27 manual tranny, solid for a V6, but the Accord destroys all with 21/30. Thats with an automatic. I think the I4 is so competitive because it is a 100% clean sheet design, while the V6 is an older engine design, with a few tweaks by Mazda for more performance and less NVH. I think had Mazda been able to develop an all new V6, that fuel economy would be up near Honda levels.

All in all, I wouldn't say fuel economy is the Mazda6's burr, it is more of a "really really close, but not quite as good as the Accord ;) .

Just for comparison, here are specs for Passat, Altima, Camry, Accord and Mazda6. Trannies are noted in parenthesis.

Volkswagen Passat:
1.8L turbo I4 170hp (manual) 22/31
1.8L turbo I4 170hp (auto) 21/30
2.8L V6 190hp (manual) 20/28
2.8L V6 190hp (auto) 19/27

Nissan Altima:
2.5L I4 175hp (manual) 23/29
2.5L I4 175hp (auto) 23/29
3.5L V6 240hp (manual) 21/26
3.5L V6 240hp (auto) 19/26

Toyota Camry:
2.4L I4 157hp (manual) 24/33
2.4L I4 157hp (auto) 23/32
3.0L V6 (auto only) 20/28

Honda Accord:
2.3L I4 160hp (manual) 26/34
2.3L I4 160hp (auto) 24/33
3.0L V6 240hp (manual COUPE) UNAVAILABLE
3.0L V6 240hp (auto) 21/30

Mazda6:
2.3L I4 160hp (manual) 25/32
2.3L I4 160hp (auto) 23/29
3.0L V6 220hp (manual) 20/27
3.0L V6 220hp (auto) 19/27

Looks like maybe Mazda could use a 5 speed auto on the I4, eh? I'm sure the 4 speed is fine, but I bet that extra cog would get that highway mileage up a few more mpg.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

About fuel consumption and Mazda:

My experience so far is that Mazda's vehicles consume much less fuel than claimed if you drive it a bit carefully. (Like when commuting)

But I think the point is that most people are willing to pay for some extra gas when playing around on the roads. So give or take a mile on the gallon wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, I'd rather do one mile in a Mazda6 than two in that boring Accord...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Guys, I've moved this thread. Thought it rather belonged in here.

:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts