Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a '04 6 Wagon back in March, for my fiance. I noticed it has really poor milage when we first got it, but I figgured she was just having fun with the V6 and thought nothing of it. But even now its still getting horrible milage (15 MPG), so I took it back to the dealership to see what they could do. They informed me that the latest ECU reflash had been performed and there was nothing else that could be done.

In seaching past threads I've seen several people have had a similar problem, but the answer is usually "get your ECU reflashed." I'm just wondering what else could be done to fix this. I'm also wondering if horrible fuel milage could even be considered a lemon law-able issue.

We love the car, we just want it to work right. But if Mazda can't fix it, I want a car that will work as rated.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the 04 v6 sedan, and do a lot of city driving, and am not exactly light on the gas peddle if you know what I mean. I have been averaging about 19-20 mpg in the past year. This spikes when I have to take a trip to my parents and that is a good section in innerstate driving.

You mention you had the ECU re-flashed, but what about driving? Is it mostly city? Do you do jack rabbit starts at stop lights? I know there are a couple things that can adversly affect your mileage, like if the tires are under inflated (so I have been told, can't say as I haven't tested this to be sure), weather, etc. I know the wagon weights more than the sedan, so I could see a loss in MPG there.

Have you tried searching through FUEL EFFICIENCY thread so see if others with wagons have posted in there?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I get pretty crappy mileage with my wagon driving in the city. Doesn't really get good until I do highway miles. I'll get like 250-280 per tank usually. Then on a trip I can get up to 380ish range. Kinda sucks. I've just stopped driving as much now that gas prices are over 3 bucks a gallon. Good thing I work close.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well, you can get 30% less miles/gallon by using fuel with ethanol.. that stuff just sux. I was doing 16mpg with it... that could be your problem? It could be regional too, some places put in a lot more then 10% into E10...

I too average 19 and i do jackrabbit, plus keep it in lower gears when trying to "impress" others with rolled down windows by wizzing by letting them hear the cpe0... lol yeah im obsessed. :):):) Mine is 100% strictly city, rarely any long constant speed streches.

I know there are a couple things that can adversly affect your mileage, like if the tires are under inflated (so I have been told, can't say as I haven't tested this to be sure), weather, etc.

[/b]
Yep, very true. Try deflating your bike tires even a bit... man youll think you are pedalling uphill all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I just bought 04 Wagon several weeks ago and got decent mpg out of it. About 380 miles before filling up with about 15 gallons.

All I did when I got the car is:
Change the oil with Castrol Syntec 5W-20, and K&N oil filter
Change the air filter with K&N
Add Lube Control oil additive
Add Fuel Power gas additive
Put more air in the tires (pressure was rather low)
drain and fill ATX fluid with Mobil1 MerconV
got the ECU reflashed (MSP 10 TSB)

I'm not saying that all of them contributed to good gas mileage but maybe a combination of them.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Don't pout. I get around 15mpg as well, mostly local driving( w/ a heavy foot). My best was 400miles on 17gallons. That was 99.99% hwy driving though

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just bought 04 Wagon several weeks ago and got decent mpg out of it. About 380 miles before filling up with about 15 gallons.

All I did when I got the car is:
Change the oil with Castrol Syntec 5W-20, and K&N oil filter
Change the air filter with K&N
Add Lube Control oil additive
Add Fuel Power gas additive
Put more air in the tires (pressure was rather low)
drain and fill ATX fluid with Mobil1 MerconV
got the ECU reflashed (MSP 10 TSB)

I'm not saying that all of them contributed to good gas mileage but maybe a combination of them.
[/b]

I would have to agree that if you are getting horrible gas mileage then try these steps first.

Also check to see if you can find out the ethanol percentage of the gas you are using. I live in MN where in the winter months the ethanol blend is higher in our gas, I am a firm believer that this contributes to worse gas mileage in my 6S. My work around for this is to fill up with gas every time I am in rural MN as the ethanol blend is not required everywhere in MN, only in the larger cities. Basically the ethanol blend is not required for farmers etc. to use, but it is for the city folk. Which is odd as the farmers are the ones helping to make the ethanol.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Wow I thought I had bad mileage... this really sucks. The 3.5L Duratec won't help either haha.
I get 18-19 in my 2003 ATX V6.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Wow I thought I had bad mileage... this really sucks. The 3.5L Duratec won't help either haha.
I get 18-19 in my 2003 ATX V6.
[/b]
You mean the same 3.5L that's going to get the same or better milage than the 3.0L? :sarc:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
GreenNuggs
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing