Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm...

I have the opportunity to be a test pilot for a well known tuning company i Sweden.
They will try to modify the ECU and as usual tune the car for better performance.
I would be getting this for free and in case of a disaster they will pay for everything.

First of all they would like to see if it's possible to connect to the car of course.

Well you guys, what do you think about this? Should I (or if not me, any other MPS owner in Sweden) go for it??

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Of course!! I would help out myself with any reputable tuner shop if there was one here in the midwest United States.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the problem starts...

I and others i Sweden have heard that the turbo pressure is between 18 and 19psi original...witch is very high for a non modified car. If this is correct I guess you could'nt push it no more with a standard engine.
Compression is said to be 9.5:1. Cylinder pressure 115 psi.

I just don't think the engine could take an increase in psi... :huh:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
That is incorrect. Stock boost is 15.7psi.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what tuning company are you talking about.. i used to own a saab. i just want to know if its a compnay that did work on them also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if they have cracked any Mazdas before.

The company is not a big, world wide known company. www.itsfun.nu. .
The guy who manage the firm is a well known guy in terms of making fast cars go VERY fast. They have been doing this for a couple of years nom with lot of good rewievs. Even from car magazines.

·
Registered
475 Posts
First of all I'd like to say OMG you live in Stockholm? I've heard about the beautiful women, and country there and thats where i want to retire! Secondly I'd also say jump on the opportunity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Now the problem starts...

I and others i Sweden have heard that the turbo pressure is between 18 and 19psi original...witch is very high for a non modified car. If this is correct I guess you could'nt push it no more with a standard engine.
Compression is said to be 9.5:1. Cylinder pressure 115 psi.

I just don't think the engine could take an increase in psi... :huh:
[/b]
It peaks at 18-19 psi, drops to about 16 psi and at about 6000 rpms it has dropped to about 7 psi. We are already seeing gains under the curve by using an EBC or MBC to hold the 16 psi to redline. It also couls use a little leaning of the A/F ratio which in some cars is below 10.1.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I got some information to share.

After speaking to a man with a great deal of knowledge, working with engines at Volvo. He contacted me about this issue after reading my question in another forum.
He told me that he had seen spec. and diagrams for this engine and he said: "NO WAY!! Do not feed this engine more pressure...not by boosting your turbo anyway. If you should do that, you have to redesign a lot of things first. It's allmost allready maxxed out!"
This guy knows what he's talking about so I'm certain that he is correct.

He told me to move the IC to the front, use a 3" down pipe and exhaust and make sure that I had free flow of cold air into the engine. And as Baggio said, keep the pressure all the way up to 6000rpm...that would give more power and save the engine.

First of all I'd like to say OMG you live in Stockholm? I've heard about the beautiful women, and country there and thats where i want to retire![/b]
Mouhahaha...Yes they are, yes it is and yes you must...! :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Now I got some information to share.

After speaking to a man with a great deal of knowledge, working with engines at Volvo. He contacted me about this issue after reading my question in another forum.
He told me that he had seen spec. and diagrams for this engine and he said: "NO WAY!! Do not feed this engine more pressure...not by boosting your turbo anyway. If you should do that, you have to redesign a lot of things first. It's allmost allready maxxed out!"
This guy knows what he's talking about so I'm certain that he is correct.

He told me to move the IC to the front, use a 3" down pipe and exhaust and make sure that I had free flow of cold air into the engine. And as Baggio said, keep the pressure all the way up to 6000rpm...that would give more power and save the engine.

Mouhahaha...Yes they are, yes it is and yes you must...! :D
[/b]
Should be interesting to see what happens with this - the next few months should reveal the capabilities of this engine.

And, I don't know about those Stockholm women man....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
322 Posts
Based on every in depth discussion that has come up about our stock turbo, it sounds like tech is correct. The turbo is already being pushed to it's limits. However, it would be interesting to hear what reservations he has if someone were to put on a larger turbo.

It's been discussed that the exhaust manifold is a poor design and there have been some issues with broken axles. Aside from those two things I believe most people believe the car could handle up to around 350 whp (with mentioned mod's, FMIC, 3" Turbo-back).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on every in depth discussion that has come up about our stock turbo, it sounds like tech is correct. The turbo is already being pushed to it's limits. However, it would be interesting to hear what reservations he has if someone were to put on a larger turbo.

It's been discussed that the exhaust manifold is a poor design and there have been some issues with broken axles. Aside from those two things I believe most people believe the car could handle up to around 350 whp (with mentioned mod's, FMIC, 3" Turbo-back).
[/b]
The cylinder pressure is an issue too. 115psi is a lot for any stock engine. He said that a larger turbo, with much better flow in and out could do the trick. If you lose some comp. lets say to around 8.5:1.
As said in an other thread, tests show 266bhp on the wheels so 350 is not far away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts